PDA

View Full Version : West Palm Beach Any Tips???

Warby
07-30-2007, 23:33
Hi Everyone,

I'm leaving for for a West Palm Beach based diving vacation in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone has any tips for must see dive sites, top charters or anything else that might be useful. I am willing to driver 30-45 mins each day but no more unless its a chance of a lifetime type thing. Thanks in anticipation.

Warby

WaterRat
07-31-2007, 10:05
It's been over 5 years since I dove from Boynton (Just south of West Palm). Most of the boats in the Boynton area go out of the marina off Ocean Ave. and US 1. The Capt. Tony and Bud Bar are 2 nice dives in this area. There are also some nice reefs along Boynton.

If you want to go a little further south to Pompano, the Rodeo, Capt. Dan and RSB-1 are all real fun wrecks that sit in about 110' of water.

Ron

Devil Diver
07-31-2007, 16:15
If you want to see more big animals, go a bit north to Jupiter (a real little bit, maybe 15 min). They have spots with lots of Sharks, Jewfish...errr, Goliath Grouper and turtles. I like Jupiter Dive Center (try to get Angie for a DM) and Scuba Works. Google them, they'll pop right up.

Of course there is a ton to see right in WPB, try out Pura Vida Divers, Trevor knows his stuff!

Good luck and have a blast!

kevinj1
07-31-2007, 20:45
My favorite dive site is the Sea Emperor---about 20-25minutes south out of Pompano beach. Its an underwater cronstruction site with a few wrecks on it----------Amazing marine life...

Rascal1933
07-31-2007, 21:42
OceanQuest (West Palm,Fl)
Jupiter Dive Center (Jupiter,Fl)
Both are Excellent dive op's

You are in for some Awesome diving in that area of Florida!

ParrotHead
08-01-2007, 08:11
I had a good experience with LoggerHead (http://www.loggerheadcharters.com/) in Boynton Beach.

jlwest63
08-01-2007, 09:18
I dove with Jupiter Dive Center (Jupiter,Fl) a couple of weeks ago and they were great. If you go there I would recommend them.

Splitlip
08-01-2007, 11:25
The link for JDC.

http://www.jupiterdivecenter.com/

You want sharks, they can show you sharks.

Nice folks too. They are on the water and have 2 boats.

Splitlip
08-01-2007, 17:00
Hi Everyone,

I'm leaving for for a West Palm Beach based diving vacation in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone has any tips for must see dive sites, top charters or anything else that might be useful. I am willing to driver 30-45 mins each day but no more unless its a chance of a lifetime type thing. Thanks in anticipation.

Warby
There are a bunch of great ops in the West Palm area, from Jupiter to Boynton and Boca.
When selecting the charter, make sure you discuss their protocols and the particulars of the dive trip.
This is all drift diving. Currents can be pretty quick. Depending on the operation and the dive site, you could face some unexpected challenges. It is not a case of swimming back to an entry point, because you are drifting.
And when you show the DM your spg is at 800 or you have hit your NDL, he will usually give the ok sign then say "see ya". And since the surface current is usually twice as fast the bottom current, you could travel a good ways during your safety stop.
My point is, talk to the charters and find out how they run the dives and select one based on your skill and comfort levels.

Warby
08-01-2007, 23:14
Thanks guys, all great tips, much appreciated.

thor
08-01-2007, 23:21
Anybody know what the water temps are like in those areas around October

Splitlip
08-02-2007, 12:00
Anybody know what the water temps are like in those areas around October
Well, if I find a log book or computer log...
Anyway, October I am still in a 1 mil suit, which is to say over 80 degrees

Travelnsj
08-02-2007, 14:57
I got back last month from diving a week with Narcosis, Starfish and Underwater explorer.....all good dive ops....If you are from out of town Narcosis puts a guide in the water.

Wolfie2012
08-02-2007, 15:16
I got back last month from diving a week with Narcosis, Starfish and Underwater explorer.....all good dive ops....If you are from out of town Narcosis put a guide in the water.

I'm just wondering... do they require a guide in the water if your out of town or do they give you the option? I only ask because I've had to pass up ops in the past that required a guide if you're in on a cruise ship, or aren't local to the area, or whatever. I kind of took offense to the blanket policies like that.

WaterRat
08-02-2007, 16:15
I had a good experience with LoggerHead (http://www.loggerheadcharters.com/) in Boynton Beach.

This is who we used to use all the time when I lived down there. That's been 8 years ago though. Nothing like getting done with the dive and grabbing some fish over at 2 Georges.

Ron

Travelnsj
08-02-2007, 17:06
I got back last month from diving a week with Narcosis, Starfish and Underwater explorer.....all good dive ops....If you are from out of town Narcosis put a guide in the water.

I'm just wondering... do they require a guide in the water if your out of town or do they give you the option? I only ask because I've had to pass up ops in the past that required a guide if you're in on a cruise ship, or aren't local to the area, or whatever. I kind of took offense to the blanket policies like that.

I really do not know....I liked the fact a guide was in the water as I was from out of town. I would e-mail and ask....their boat was the best I saw in FL.

Splitlip
08-02-2007, 20:36

I don't know about the 3 mentioned above, but I doubt it as that is not customary with most of the charters in the area I am familiar with. But ask. Some people prefer a guide. Per my admonition earlier: I have seen out of area divers get upset because the DM does not hold their hands.
Talk to the op.

Splitlip
08-02-2007, 20:58

This is who we used to use all the time when I lived down there. That's been 8 years ago though. Nothing like getting done with the dive and grabbing some fish over at 2 Georges.

Ron

Two Georges is great. On the water, by the boats, easy, great food and atmosphere. But I still prefer the Brass Ring in North Palm (Lake Park) apres dive.
I live in Jupiter and when we dive Boynton we will still head north and hit the Brass Ring for pitchers and Burgers. Other wise, you could not get me in there on a bet. Funny.

kevinj1
08-03-2007, 18:52

Ron

Two Georges is great. On the water, by the boats, easy, great food and atmosphere. But I still prefer the Brass Ring in North Palm (Lake Park) apres dive.
I live in Jupiter and when we dive Boynton we will still head north and hit the Brass Ring for pitchers and Burgers. Other wise, you could not get me in there on a bet. Funny.

I miss 2 Georges so much. They used to have great grouper and Mahi on the menu and once in a while conch chowder soup---im starting to druellllllll.
I will definitely have to try the brass ring next time I am in town. Where is it?

Splitlip
08-03-2007, 23:32

Ron

I miss 2 Georges so much. They used to have great grouper and Mahi on the menu and once in a while conch chowder soup---im starting to druellllllll.
I will definitely have to try the brass ring next time I am in town. Where is it?
It is on the east side of US 1, just south of North Lake Blvd. So it is North of the Riviera Beach Marina. It is no Two Georges by any means, but a lot of the local divers coming off the baots head there. It is a bit of a biker bar. You also get golfers coming from the North Palm Country club on the weekends, but the management has to let them in.:smiley2:
Some history, the Brass Ring opened up the same time as the first Duffy's. We don't know who was the knock off of whom. But Duffy's went all foo foo and bought up the Road Kill Grills while the Brass ring is still there. Coldest beer and best burgers.
Another new favorite too you might check if you dive out of Riviera is the new Tiki bar restaurant at the marina. Mostly outside, food is ok but a lot of ambiance and bikers there too. Very much like the old Sailfish in Palm Beach Shores (before they went all foo foo.)

Travelnsj
08-04-2007, 11:13

Just remembered the other ops did offer a guide for an additional charge. I was diving with some people I met on another board that were local so one of them carried the flag.....It was nice with Narcosis that they did have a guide as she knew where the big groupers, squid etc were. She made usually uneventful diving a little more interesting.

kevinj1
08-04-2007, 15:34
I find a lot of ops in the S. Fla area have a guide if that is what you are looking for. Just call ahead, that is my advice...

kevinj1
08-06-2007, 17:44

Ron

It is on the east side of US 1, just south of North Lake Blvd. So it is North of the Riviera Beach Marina. It is no Two Georges by any means, but a lot of the local divers coming off the baots head there. It is a bit of a biker bar. You also get golfers coming from the North Palm Country club on the weekends, but the management has to let them in.:smiley2:
Some history, the Brass Ring opened up the same time as the first Duffy's. We don't know who was the knock off of whom. But Duffy's went all foo foo and bought up the Road Kill Grills while the Brass ring is still there. Coldest beer and best burgers.
Another new favorite too you might check if you dive out of Riviera is the new Tiki bar restaurant at the marina. Mostly outside, food is ok but a lot of ambiance and bikers there too. Very much like the old Sailfish in Palm Beach Shores (before they went all foo foo.)

It looks like I have a couple of biker bars I need to frequent-----haha.

I need to get back down to FL. soon.

divergirl4u
08-18-2007, 23:01
I love the drift dives in West Palm ... just go with the flow ;)
Kim P

NitroWill
08-18-2007, 23:45
I use Diving Solutions usually out of WPB..really good charter!

And after diving - Brass Ring - a couple miles north on US1 is a nice pub for great food and cold beers!

pnevai
08-24-2007, 21:46
Personally if you are going to be in West Palm, you probably do not want to drive up to Jupiter. Especially on US1 unless you like stopping at a gazillion traffic lights. You could take I 95 up but then that stretch is under construction and ...... well If you like your driving chock full of adrenaline pumping excitement it is probably best if you stay off of that as well. For some reason it seems a whole lot longer of a drive up to Jupiter than it looks on a map.

You could go further west and pick up the Florida turnpike and take that north but then joy of joys you get to experience the arouma filled pleasure of driving past the local landfill adjacent to the highway, but then you do get to see the Florida state bird the trukey vulture ;) as they always hover over the dump. It is such a long stretch between where you get on the turnpike to the next exit (Palm Beach Gardens) that you would swear that you went in the wrong direction. But you would go past that exit to the next one called Indiantown Road. You would get off heading east on that road, Caution the Florida coppers just love sitting under the overpass or by McDonalds with their radar guns so you have to slow down to the 45 mph speed limit, which after the 75 mph + run down the turnpike seems like a total crawl. Then you keep going till you cross the rail road tracks and make a left at that light. Keep going and watch on the right hand side, you will drive right past Jupiter Divers if you are not careful.

pnevai
08-24-2007, 21:57

Ron

Errr, You just might want to be just a weee bit carful navigating around Riviera Beach, the locals in that area have unfortunately been in thier drive by shootem up mode recently.