PDA

View Full Version : 3/1/08 Stockton Surf Dive

DivingCRNA
03-01-2008, 16:55
DW and I met up at Stockton at about 0820 today and it was 55 degrees in the air when we got their. We too about an hour and a half of BSing and setting up and got in the water.

We both had new regs on our doubles. DW had Scubaamax and I had DR Hurricanes. Yes, Larry, there was a free flow. DW had a bad O-Ring, but that was remedied and we were in! Both sets of regs performed great in the cold water! Welcome to the manifold and DIN club DW!

DANG was it cold!:smiley5: About 42 degrees surface and 38 deep. Vis was 3 feet at it's best. 2 20 minuted dives to map out the area for my DM. One to 32 feet and one to 55 feet. Better vis, but more MUD at 55.

When I retrieved the flag DW had some how wrapped it around a limb when he tied it, so I went to ZERO vis getting it off.

Then we had to deflate BCs, remove fins and crawl out because of the waves.

They were AWESOME dives. Learned a lot and had fun. I gotta craft a map now!

BTW-Little Wolf and her puppy are about as cute as can be. I cannot wait until Little Wolf dives!

I am sure DW has some to add, but this is what I got :smiley_bucktooth:

DivingCRNA

Tom A
03-01-2008, 19:43
good diveing hu i was working drill weekend like to see your map though

Dark Wolf
03-01-2008, 20:14
Hah!!:smilie39:

Yes, a fun and challenging day of diving!! The wind definately made things interesting today. We submerged with light winds and when we hit the surface after the dive, HOLY COW! I have to admit, those were some of the biggest waves that I have seen on Stockton. I swear that some of them were 2.5' tall.

The Corps of Engineers web site said that the surface temp for today was 48 degrees. Now, I don't know where they checked but I am pretty sure it must have been from the cold water tap in their office! We both had to call BS on their reported temp.

All regs performed great! I had a blast, and even found a vintage Pepsi can!

Little Wolf had a really great time and was a lot of help setting up and tearing down. She even stood at the edge of the water and took a couple of pretty good splashes to help CRNA and I get our gear out of "The Surf". LW and her puppy were ALL OVER the rocks. Climbing, jumping, and in general "nosing around". :)

A GREAT day, in my opinion.

DW

DivingCRNA
03-02-2008, 05:51
Hah!!:smilie39:

Yes, a fun and challenging day of diving!! The wind definately made things interesting today. We submerged with light winds and when we hit the surface after the dive, HOLY COW! I have to admit, those were some of the biggest waves that I have seen on Stockton. I swear that some of them were 2.5' tall.

The Corps of Engineers web site said that the surface temp for today was 48 degrees. Now, I don't know where they checked but I am pretty sure it must have been from the cold water tap in their office! We both had to call BS on their reported temp.

All regs performed great! I had a blast, and even found a vintage Pepsi can!

Little Wolf had a really great time and was a lot of help setting up and tearing down. She even stood at the edge of the water and took a couple of pretty good splashes to help CRNA and I get our gear out of "The Surf". LW and her puppy were ALL OVER the rocks. Climbing, jumping, and in general "nosing around". :)

A GREAT day, in my opinion.

DW

Yeah-we were both disgusted at out buoyancy control and a tendency to roll back and forth on the first dive, then we saw what the surface was doing and realized that at 15-20 feet we were gonna get rocked!

We were both steadier at 55 feet on dive #2.

It wasn't THAT cold. Little Wolf wanted to jump in "just once"... LOL

snagel
03-02-2008, 08:13
Nice report....Stockton is typically a very windy lake even on a "normal" day. I was working around the house and had to run to the hardware store, when I looked outside, man the wind was blowing harder than I have ever seen in a long time. I was kinda worried about the boys trampaline taking off in the front yard.

Were you guys diving east of the 215 bridge? I was hoping the viz would clear up a little better this year - maybe later this spring.

S. Nagel

Dark Wolf
03-02-2008, 08:52
Yes snagel, we were on the SE side of 215. I have been hoping the vis will improve, too. I think that if we can go a little while without any real weather that it will help a lot. Time will tell.

Yes, Little Wolf wanted to jump in "Just once, Dad"! I am afraid that she would have bruised her eyeballs on the glass of her mask when they bugged out, though!

You are right, CRNA. Was not NEARLY as cold as New Years Day!!

DW