PDA

View Full Version : Lost your contacts lenses when diving?

DevilDiver
03-02-2008, 13:58
Have you ever lost your contact lenses when diving? If so, how did it happen and what did you do? :smiley5:

I do wear contacts but I have never lost a set when diving. I have wondered what I would do though and thought I (and others) could learn from others thoughts and expierences.....

Thanks!!

Kokomo
03-02-2008, 15:47
I have never lost mine but I always carry an extra pair with me.

dallasdivergirl
03-02-2008, 15:50
I hope never to have that happen. I do carry spares & a backup mask in a pocket in case something ever happens to mine.

Diver Kat
03-02-2008, 17:39
200+ dives and never lost a lense yet ... but I do always carry spares with me!

WestTnDiver
03-02-2008, 20:19
I wear gas perm lens and have never lost one diving. I lost a few swimming when I first got them at age 16 - many years ago. Due to advancing age, I have recently gone to bifocal contacts. When I took a rescue class this summer I was afraid some of the exercises would dislodge a lens - the instructors really wanted everyones masks! I got a pack of one day disposables and always keep them on hand and use them for night dives as the bifocals don't work well in low light for me.

TRACI
03-03-2008, 08:42
I have never lost any contacts while diving, but I always make sure a bring plenty of extra pairs with me just in case

LMM1967
03-03-2008, 10:37
I've lost 1 but that was after a dive splashing water on my face with my mask off - no problems under water but like everyone else I always am sure to have spares.

Saipandiver
08-07-2008, 17:07
I haven't lost them, but I wear soft contacts, and have had them tear while wearing them on a dive. Not only is it extremely painful to leave them in when torn, but it can do some serious damage to your cornea. Because I was hesitant to take the contact out and be blind for the rest of the dive, I foolishly left it in. I got a corneal ulcer as a result, which deteriorated my vision even further in that eye, and took several weeks to heal.

I have now bought a prescription mask, and always have it in a spare pocket just in case I have another malfunction with my contacts. You can get good prescription masks that you can continue to change out the lenses in when your prescription changes very affordably these days. If you can't see good enough to finish a dive without your contacts should something happen to them, it's just foolish to not have a prescription mask along with you as a back up. Hope my story helps a few of you to avoid a similar situation.

obrules15
08-07-2008, 17:19
I have never lost one, even during the mask off excercises in training but I always carry a spare pair and a prescription mask.

julz
08-07-2008, 17:26
i wear soft lenses and have never lost one or had one tear while diving.

JTMoney
08-07-2008, 17:35
I've never lost one during a dive, but if I did it's not big deal since my visions is around 20/50 which for me is pretty functional and I have no problem reading close up.

Skuttle
08-07-2008, 18:25
Got laski done before I started diving. But my son who is going to do OW soon wears contacts so this is good information!

chinacat46
08-07-2008, 18:31
I never lost one in 7 years of diving with them. Then I get Lasik WoW. Now I don't have to worry about losing one. Wish I had done it 5 years earlier.

hooligan
08-07-2008, 18:46
I wear soft contacts also. I've never lost one diving either, but I do keep an extra pair in my save a dive kit.

brandon
08-07-2008, 19:18
I still have several pairs of contacts in my zippered dive log from the pre-Lasik days! Should toss those...

When I wore contacts, I used single day disposable soft lenses while diving. Lots of organisms in the water, and you're just not going to wash all of them off at the end of the day. Less worry about replacing them too..

-B

thesmoothdome
08-07-2008, 19:22
I wear disposables and carry at least a spare pair with me whenever I'm doing multiple dives. Even with precautions, I've never lost one. I'm careful not to open my eyes if I remove mask though.

sravin1
08-07-2008, 20:15
i lost one during my ow certificatioin while doing mask retreival. never lost one on a dive.

brandon
08-07-2008, 20:19
I wore contacts for 14 years before Lasik, and still have a hard time shaking many of the reflexes I had when wearing contacts and glasses...

Diving is a bit weird sometimes, especially when in the pool doing mask on/off skills. Still worried I'll lose a contact and have my eyes clenched shut!

At least I've stopped waking up in the middle of the night, worried that I had just fallen asleep with my contacts in...

-B

lucidblue
08-07-2008, 20:36
I wear soft lenses and haven't had any problems. I want to get Lasik but there never seems to be a good time when I don't have anything going on for a few weeks.

thesmoothdome
08-07-2008, 20:39
I wear soft lenses and haven't had any problems. I want to get Lasik but there never seems to be a good time when I don't have anything going on for a few weeks.

MMMM....Lasik....MMMM...dive Indonesia...MMM...Lasik...

MMMM....dive Indonesia.

If my eye care insurance covered Lasik, it'd be slam dunk.

lucidblue
08-07-2008, 20:41

MMMM....Lasik....MMMM...dive Indonesia...MMM...Lasik...

MMMM....dive Indonesia.

If my eye care insurance covered Lasik, it'd be slam dunk.

10 years ago I worked at a company that paid for half of each eye. Unfortunately, I watched the video of the surgery online and freaked myself out. Now I'm kicking myself.

violakat03
08-07-2008, 22:54
I'm too chicken to get Lasik. My vision is actually fairly decent, I just lose details at a distance. I need my contacts or glasses to read street signs when driving and to read the TV when sitting across the room, but there's only a slight haze around objects. Not bad enough that I can't dive without them.

I have actually only done 1 dive with my contacts in (Epcot DiveQuest) which was kind of an accident since I forgot I had them in, and I've been too chicken to do it anymore than that. I'm always afraid I'm going to get water in my eyes even with them squeezed shut and end up either losing or messing up one of my lenses. From reading the responses, I guess I shouldn't really be that worried about it!

thesmoothdome
08-07-2008, 23:29
I was all over the idea until the doctor mentioned that he would be taking a scapel to my eye to create a flap in my cornea that the laser could work in. ACK!

These days, I think they do it without the scapel, but of course it's more money. MMMMM....Indonesia.....

snoballz
08-07-2008, 23:31
I wear disposable contact lenses and only lost them during water clearing exercises . I keep two sets in my save-a-dive kit just in case.

:smiley16:

thesmoothdome
08-07-2008, 23:32
I have actually only done 1 dive with my contacts in (Epcot DiveQuest) which was kind of an accident since I forgot I had them in, and I've been too chicken to do it anymore than that. I'm always afraid I'm going to get water in my eyes even with them squeezed shut and end up either losing or messing up one of my lenses. From reading the responses, I guess I shouldn't really be that worried about it!

Don't sweat the small stuff. Even if you have to take your mask off, you know to shut your eyes. It takes a lot to make my disposibles float away, even if I'm goofing in the pool without a mask.

violakat03
08-07-2008, 23:42
I was all over the idea until the doctor mentioned that he would be taking a scapel to my eye to create a flap in my cornea that the laser could work in. ACK!

That would be precisely why I'm too chicken!!!

I need to get some of those one-day disposables. That way it's not a big loss if I do lose one. The ones I normally wear are supposed to be two-week lenses and are a little expensive, which is why I worry so much about losing or damaging them.

That and the optometrist put the fear of god in to me about touching them with chlorine water.

brandon
08-07-2008, 23:50
Oh, don't worry... I still nearly puke when I think about what they did to my eyes. It's not pleasant, but it's not painful.

Don't watch the videos...

-B

JimHar99
08-08-2008, 12:53
I have never lost a lens, but I always pack a pair of glasses, just in case.

josh7284
05-04-2010, 07:59
I have never lost a lens while diving, and like everyone else am always sure to carry an extra pair with me. You would think that the pressure would sometimes peel your lens off if you do not equalize it enough.

chinacat46
05-04-2010, 08:17
I lost mine for good I got lasik a couple of years ago.

Chilly
05-04-2010, 08:49
I wore contact lenses for years until I had PRK Eye Surgery (http://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/prk.htm) about 5 years ago. I am absolutely pleased with the results - 20/15 in each eye with no astigmatism.

LASIK was not an option as it was not approved for those in my line of work. However, I think both PRK and LASIK are good choices - I may have opted for the LASIK had it been available to me.