PDA

View Full Version : Man-'o-wars

scubacat80
03-03-2008, 00:45
How are the jelly fish on the beaches and in the water in SE Florida this time of year?

Is the gulf side any better for this?

FyVe
03-03-2008, 07:59
last weekend (not this weekend that just passed)
we went out of key largo, and the first site we where at on elbow reef was full of em.

jeepbrew
03-05-2008, 22:31
You do realize there is a huge difference between Man-O-Wars and Jellyfish don't you?

M-O-W = Can be deadly
Jellyfish = Can be a pain in the a$$

UCFKnightDiver
03-05-2008, 22:35
dont be a wuss :) naa but really just wear a wetsuit and a hood and gloves i think you will be fine or you could wear a skin

Osprey
03-06-2008, 09:55
It's not being a wuss if you're allergic to jelly stings

I haven't seen any wash up recently, but that doesn't mean they aren't hanging about outside of the Tampa area either

scubacat80
03-06-2008, 10:26
Try getting someone into the ocean that hasn't been into it before when you have them floating around!

It doesn't make for a fun trip.

UCFKnightDiver
03-06-2008, 12:17
lol I think you have a point there

JahJahwarrior
03-06-2008, 17:27
Also, if nematocysts end up on your wetsuit, you'll get a rash on your hands as you use them to pull it off of you, right?

I've gotten rashes for jellyfish without ever touching a jellyfish...

Crimediver
03-06-2008, 18:04
Unless you are talking box jellyfish, your basic run-of-the-mill jellyfish can't hold a candle to a man-of-war. They will kick your butt. I stepped on some MOW tentacles from one washed up on a beach in the Philippines.
It was like stepping on a red hot molten wire carrying about a thousand volts. It left scars on my foot that lasted for a vey long time. And that was from what one would think were from a dead MOW. I'd hate to get a hit from a live and kicking Man-of-War.

scubacat80
03-06-2008, 18:09
While I knew there was a difference, I didn't realize it was so substantial in the sting. Can you visually tell the difference between the two? Is one more predominent in some areas then others?

I am from NY, bear with me here! :smiley36:

UCFKnightDiver
03-06-2008, 18:37
you are not that likely to see a man o war in florida a regular jelly fish is much much more prevalent and for me its not that big a deal

FyVe
03-06-2008, 19:00
you are not that likely to see a man o war in florida a regular jelly fish is much much more prevalent and for me its not that big a deal

you see them in florida every year... i dont know what you are talking about.
i've seen them on the beach at least once every year, and just recently on my last time out diving 2 weekends ago.

Crimediver
03-06-2008, 20:26
Well to put it in rock and roll terms,a Portugese Man-of War is like the Rolling Stones and a jellyfish is like the Archies.

scubasamurai
03-06-2008, 20:44
there here , just not in vast numbers. also mythbusters did a thing on jeely fish sting remedies. looks like vodka actually works to take the "pain" out of the sting!! better than the vinegar !!!!!! even after scraping the stingers off!!!

Osprey
03-06-2008, 21:41
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Man_o'_War

there's that. if it looks similar stay away from it ;)

newways
03-06-2008, 22:06
I've seen too many horror shows on discovery about JF stings. I'm scared of them...

FyVe
03-06-2008, 23:17
there here , just not in vast numbers. also mythbusters did a thing on jeely fish sting remedies. looks like vodka actually works to take the "pain" out of the sting!! better than the vinegar !!!!!! even after scraping the stingers off!!!

drinking vodka? i guess that should work. (i know... it's a joke... i saw the episode too)
i would think that vodka would make it worse, but if they say it works, it must.

UCFKnightDiver
03-07-2008, 00:22
not saying there not here just that your alot less likely to see one than a regular jelly fish I have seen man-o-wars too no need to flame

FyVe
03-07-2008, 07:12
not saying there not here just that your alot less likely to see one than a regular jelly fish I have seen man-o-wars too no need to flame

that was'nt flaming... i was just saying that i disagree with you, as i've seen them more than a few times.

BusDiver
03-07-2008, 08:28
Well to put it in rock and roll terms,a Portugese Man-of War is like the Rolling Stones and a jellyfish is like the Archies.

I don't get it. Jughead kicks some major A$$!!!!!!! Mick may have had some hot gals in his lifetime but Archie had some serious talent around him 24/7. I would rephrase that to read that the Archies are more like a Great White on Steroids then folks like the Stones, Who, or Seger.

BusDiver
03-07-2008, 08:30

So true. A fifth of vodka will take away any pain (and memory of the painful event). When I was on tour with the Archies, Jughead would put down at least one fifth a night to help him get past some painful events that happened in his childhood. Shame. Nice guy. Kicked out hard on "Sugar, Sugar."

coyote
03-07-2008, 08:36
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Man_o'_War

From winkipedia "Below the main body dangle long tentacles, sometimes reaching ten meters (33 feet) in length." Now that's a monster. I'd love to see one.

BusDiver
03-07-2008, 08:37

that was'nt flaming... i was just saying that i disagree with you, as i've seen them more than a few times.

I hate to say it, but it came off like a flame. I read it originally and thought wow, daggers are being tossed over this. Crazy. All over a Jelly fish sighting. I would have flamed the OP for not knowing the difference between a man-o-war and one of those wimpy little Jelly fish they have up in New England. Not this poor guy who just said that the Man-O-War only pops up once in a while. Oh well, maybe that's how you all role in Florida. In Detroit we are a kinder gentler people looking out for our brothers and sisters as we rock out to our rock and roll heros The Archies.

scubacat80
03-07-2008, 14:45

After hearing everyone and looking around online, man o war are definitely around FL. January 2007 there were tons washed up on the beach in the Miami and West Palm area.

Crimediver
03-07-2008, 15:23
Hmm... Not to highjack the thread but it has got me to thinking. I wonder if Veronica and Betty still wear those bathing suits like Annette Funicello wore or have they gone to thongs...

Soonerwink
03-07-2008, 20:47
I have only been to Florida once, Destin 2 years ago. We saw several Man O Wars. The first time I saw one I thought it was trash floating on the surface. Only saw a couple while diving and their tentacles were over 8' long. I wish I had had my camera back then. I have never seen one at the Flower Gardens or Cozumel the only other ocean dives I have made.

FyVe
03-07-2008, 21:52
the tentacles are pretty cool looking... but it sucks to get stung by one. ask my brother, when he was younger he grabbed one on the balloon part, and it did not look fun.

NitroWill
03-13-2008, 13:40

After hearing everyone and looking around online, man o war are definitely around FL. January 2007 there were tons washed up on the beach in the Miami and West Palm area.

There ARE a lot of man o'war out along the Florida coast, I have seen them many many times. If you do some actual diving off the coast there's very good chances you will see one. They even have been having several advisories on the news about a higher then normal level of the Man O'War. Some people unfortunately just post things without knowing. Just be on the lookout while diving and wear a full exposure and you should be able to drastically cut your chances of a run-in with these guys :)

Grizbear98
03-13-2008, 14:03
I had a man-o-war wash up next to me on the beach in Belize, I thought it was a piece of garbage or a jelly, boy am I glad it missed my leg, even if just barely. I'm terrified of Jellies or hydrozoans of any kind