PDA

View Full Version : Scuba Diving Tube Intro

ScubaToys Larry
03-03-2008, 10:31
We are working with a new site: Scuba Diving Videos- (http://www.scubadivingtube.com) which will allow folks to upload and view scuba diving videos. While still in Beta.. there is some work to do as far as fine tuning the software and working on the categories, etc... but if there are any scuba videos you'd like to upload.. please go over there, sign up and start posting!

If all works well, this forum should grab new videos and create a new post for each one from the RSS feed... But again... Beta, and it might take a bit for us to get all this working.

PlatypusMan
03-03-2008, 12:42
Way cool! I'll look on my drive and see if I have anything to upload.

PPM

CompuDude
03-03-2008, 12:49
At what quality are the videos delivered? Better than YouTube or Google?

rye_a
03-03-2008, 12:55
Cool, Thanks! You guys just keep making this forum better!

ScubaToys Larry
03-03-2008, 12:55
At what quality are the videos delivered? Better than YouTube or Google?

No, it's really about the same. All depends on how good the initial quality is, but they are compressed and converted into flash flv files for band width and speed of streaming.

mike_s
03-03-2008, 17:28
hmmm... basically looks like a copy of google video or youtube video for just scuba content.

ScubaToys Larry
03-03-2008, 17:54
hmmm... basically looks like a copy of google video or youtube video for just scuba content.

Exactly... When I head to those sites... it's really hard to find what I'm looking for. I've been wanting to produce some little videos on equipment tips and information... things like "A primer on Tank Valves", "How to thread a cam latch" "How to thread a weight belt buckle" "How to change a battery on this computer.."

Questions we get from customers and I try to walk them through it on the phone... but being able to show a video would make it so much easier - and then I can set up the categories for the different things I want to cover.

I realize it's not earth shattering, or gloriously original - but I thought it would make a nice extension of the forum here, and with the ability to have the RSS feed update this forum automatically when a new video gets added - I thought it might be fun.

Gives members a place close to home where they can post their video of a trip, then when it auto starts the thread (which it does about 20 minutes after the upload) they can go in and add comments here so the other members can learn about their dive, equipment, experiences, etc.

DarinMartell
03-03-2008, 18:01
oh great, Scuba Toys will be taking even more ofmy time away from work! Very cool, love the idea!

jwdizney
03-03-2008, 19:35
Brilliant!:clap:

DZorn00
03-04-2008, 07:13
HERE! HERE to the SCUBA FORUM KINGS!!!!!:smiley32:

BoomerNJ
03-04-2008, 12:57
Honestly Larry, when do you have time to do all this??? I have trouble fitting in a walk with the dog between work & the gym & you run at least 2 businesses that I can name, 3 websites now (again, that I know of), dive training, computer programming, answer posts & emails & God knows what else... You should write a book on time management, you must be a master at it...

Great idea by the way, I can't wait to see it take off!!!!

PS, I single handedly doubled the post count of the new site!

TommyB
03-04-2008, 15:20
Honestly Larry, when do you have time to do all this??? I have trouble fitting in a walk with the dog between work & the gym & you run at least 2 businesses that I can name, 3 websites now (again, that I know of), dive training, computer programming, answer posts & emails & God knows what else... You should write a book on time management, you must be a master at it...

Great idea by the way, I can't wait to see it take off!!!!

PS, I single handedly doubled the post count of the new site!

He has all the time in the world --- --:smilie39:
He just picks up the phone and I get to do the hard work --

BoomerNJ
03-04-2008, 16:13
I knew there had to be a trick to it... lol...:smilie39:

ScubaToys Larry
03-04-2008, 18:04
The other secret is lots of caffeine, and a total neglect of the non essential things in life... family, exercise, personal hygiene, etc. :smiley36:

mm2002
03-04-2008, 18:24
Cool! I like the idea! So....what value gift certificate do we get for posting 10 videos? 250 videos?

:smiley36: Just kidding. .....nice work!

doczerothree
03-04-2008, 19:13
Very nice:smiley20: Lots of applications. Maybe I should take another look at that video camera:anim_shock:

NitroWill
03-07-2008, 09:19
To anyone that has uploaded a video - are you able to see them under "My Videos"?

My page just says:

See even more: ( - 3 )
No videos were found

TxScubaBear
03-07-2008, 18:49
Just what we need....more "stuff" to feed our "addiction"!

IT'S ALL GOOD!!

ScubaToys Larry
03-08-2008, 18:11
To anyone that has uploaded a video - are you able to see them under "My Videos"?

My page just says:

See even more: ( - 3 )
No videos were found

Yea... as I said.. still working on this thing... I think that function is fixed now, and you can choose to add a video to your favorites, then there are now links to your favorites, and to your videos.

If anyone finds bugs... just post them up here. I know of some I'm working on - but you might find something I'm not aware of. I haven't done much php programming before - but it's fun trying to get the hang of it!

rainmaker
03-09-2008, 10:18
I'm enjoying the site!

One suggestion: To view videos, create a "Random" or "I'm Feeling Lucky" category. When a viewer clicks on it, randon videos begin playing, and keep going until the viewer stops the action. In other words, just one click and you can watch videos all day, if you want. Would be handy for folks who want to watch while doing other things, too.

NitroWill
03-09-2008, 10:41
Yea... as I said.. still working on this thing... I think that function is fixed now, and you can choose to add a video to your favorites, then there are now links to your favorites, and to your videos.

If anyone finds bugs... just post them up here. I know of some I'm working on - but you might find something I'm not aware of. I haven't done much php programming before - but it's fun trying to get the hang of it!

Yep works now! A "feature request" would be able to view all videos by a certain user when clicking on there name or by search.

Debraw
03-11-2008, 17:44
I am not able to register today...is anyone else having trouble???

ScubaToys Larry
03-11-2008, 18:13
Ok... I added a link to see all that users videos... when you're watching one of theirs, you will see three more in a box to the right... and at the bottom of that box, you can click on a link that will show you all of theirs.

And debraw... what is it doing?? or not doing??

Maybe shoot me a PM with your username and let me know what's happening.

ScubaToys Larry
03-11-2008, 18:18
Ok... I added a link to see all that users videos... when you're watching one of theirs, you will see three more in a box to the right... and at the bottom of that box, you can click on a link that will show you all of theirs.

And debraw... what is it doing?? or not doing??

Maybe shoot me a PM with your username and let me know what's happening.

Ok... think I found the problem with the registration... should be sorted out now... let me know if it's not.

WV Diver
03-11-2008, 18:35
Great deal Larry, maybe I should have purchased a video camera instead.

b1draper
03-12-2008, 08:44
Is there a file size limit? Say I wanted to upload a 30-40 minute video would I be able to?

TommyB
03-12-2008, 10:11
Is there a file size limit? Say I wanted to upload a 30-40 minute video would I be able to?

Yes, there is a limit on file size, not time.

BSea
03-12-2008, 10:53
How about adding a permanent link from the forum to the video site. Or am I missing it?

b1draper
03-12-2008, 11:35

What's the limit on the file size?

ScubaToys Larry
03-12-2008, 13:17

What's the limit on the file size?

80 meg.... keep it to that or less.

ScubaToys Larry
03-12-2008, 13:39
How about adding a permanent link from the forum to the video site. Or am I missing it?

Ok... Just did... Upper right hand side of the top menu bar on the forum.

chris in the socal
03-12-2008, 14:38
Think that you made a great choice in picking to have something this great on your web site.

Thank you,
Chris

Liv7301
03-18-2008, 17:25
I posted a few videos this morning and the threads haven't appeared for them yet over in this neck of the woods. Granted, it was only 8 hours ago, so perhaps I am being impatient...or perhaps I am looking in the wrong area? (wouldn't be the first time)

Mine were "sergeant major attack" and "shark dive at bull run"

Thanks Mighty Larry!!

ScubaToys Larry
03-19-2008, 09:14
I posted a few videos this morning and the threads haven't appeared for them yet over in this neck of the woods. Granted, it was only 8 hours ago, so perhaps I am being impatient...or perhaps I am looking in the wrong area? (wouldn't be the first time)

Mine were "sergeant major attack" and "shark dive at bull run"

Thanks Mighty Larry!!

Yes, I'm having a bit of trouble with the RSS feed... hopefully I'll have it worked out later today and then it will bring all those in...

NitroWill
03-20-2008, 23:29
Guess you're still having issues? Uploaded several tonight and no posts were made.

NitroWill
03-27-2008, 11:41
Another Suggestion for the site. It'd be nice to be able to set the videos thumbnail from several different snapshots from the video. Several of my videos have received all black thumbnails and they haven't gotten a third the views other ones have so it might be nice to be able to change it when the default capture isn't a good one.

ScubaToys Larry
03-27-2008, 13:29
Another Suggest for the site. It'd be nice to be able to set the videos thumbnail from several different snapshots from the video. Several of my videos have received all black thumbnails and they haven't gotten a third the views other ones have so it might be nice to be able to change it when the default capture isn't a good one.

Yes, I suggested that to the guy who wrote the software... but no method to do it easily as of yet.

NitroWill
03-27-2008, 13:34
Another Suggest for the site. It'd be nice to be able to set the videos thumbnail from several different snapshots from the video. Several of my videos have received all black thumbnails and they haven't gotten a third the views other ones have so it might be nice to be able to change it when the default capture isn't a good one.

Yes, I suggested that to the guy who wrote the software... but no method to do it easily as of yet.

Maybe just a button to re-generate the thumbnail using the same process it generates the default one would work unless it chooses it from a fixed time (first frame, 20% into movie, etc)

divenuts.net
03-30-2008, 12:13
Great tool for sharing scuba experiences and knowledge.
Thanks,
divenuts

b1draper
04-07-2008, 11:31
I uploaded a video that's about 18 minutes long and I can't find it doing a search. I can only find it by looking in my profile or by looking in the catagory. The video in question is the "Wakulla Rotary Reef (3) St. Marks, FL". Is there something that I've done wrong?

b1draper
04-09-2008, 08:14
I uploaded a video that's about 18 minutes long and I can't find it doing a search. I can only find it by looking in my profile or by looking in the catagory. The video in question is the "Wakulla Rotary Reef (3) St. Marks, FL". Is there something that I've done wrong?

Would me deleting the video and re-uploading it fix the problem? :smilie40:

b1draper
04-09-2008, 08:48

Would me deleting the video and re-uploading it fix the problem? :smilie40:

I just deleted the Video and I'm uploading it again

csterling95
08-14-2008, 17:22
how fast will it be?

b1draper
08-15-2008, 04:10
how fast will it be?

I'm not sure I understand you, the videos are on the site. I can give you links if you'd like.

teerlkay
11-22-2008, 09:13
I'd love to know what i did wrong - for next time
http://forum.scubatoys.com/scuba-diving-tube-videos/19269-not-sure-if-i-did-wrong.html

ScubaToys Larry
11-22-2008, 09:54
I'd love to know what i did wrong - for next time
http://forum.scubatoys.com/scuba-diving-tube-videos/19269-not-sure-if-i-did-wrong.html

It wasn't you....
There was a video that someone put out with a title that was an illegal character... so it stopped the RSS feed from importing. I changed it, and it all should work now... It will probably pull yours in on the next update - and future ones should work fine.

Sorry for the problem and the delay in me figuring that out!

imasinker
12-12-2008, 14:53
you know Larry!...this could help divers decide on gear as well. looking at a picture or talking with others online via a forum about gear still just sometimes doesn't help. Seeing the gear being used or demonstrated can help people better. This would be a great tool for people interested in such things as equipment and configurations DIY and promo's. I watched a video once in you tube on how to attach drygloves to a drysuit. Informative and helpful and we need something like that here! Your on the right track.

b1draper
12-15-2008, 08:18
I'm actually planning on posting a video on using a Nuvair Quickstick Nitrox Analyzer.

AESTCBR
02-16-2009, 15:09
cool looks good:smiley20:

emt
02-17-2009, 14:08
Agree videos are great to showcase an item.

scubarobin
07-31-2009, 09:40
Once again I tried uploading a video and it doesn't work. It says only .02 long (the video is 3+ minutes) and a blank screen. Is there a limit in number of videos you can post? I have 12 already. Or is it something to do with MY videos? Format wrong? Size wrong?
Please, I would like to know why this keeps happening!

DMWiz
08-09-2010, 11:13
How long does it take for an uploaded video to be posted? I uploaded 3 during the weekend and there's no trace of them!

TommyB
08-09-2010, 12:59
How long does it take for an uploaded video to be posted? I uploaded 3 during the weekend and there's no trace of them!
What, A link on the forums, or the vid to show up on scubadivingtube.com

DMWiz
08-09-2010, 22:31
Either one would be fine... my sdt profile doesn't show any uploads either.

mm2002
08-10-2010, 04:35
I was experiencing the same thing ever since the new software was implemented, but everything seems to work good as of the last few days.

DMWiz
08-10-2010, 07:15
Not too many things have worked for me on this site since the vbulletin switch, I don't know if that's related. Oh well, I ended up posting on FB, but I don't think we can embed videos here.

ChrisRich
03-06-2012, 11:00
you know Larry!...this could help divers decide on gear as well. looking at a picture or talking with others online via a forum about gear still just sometimes doesn't help. Seeing the gear being used or demonstrated can help whistler condo (http://www.whistlerretreats.com/) people better. This would be a great tool for people interested in such things as equipment and configurations DIY and promo's. I watched a video once in you tube on how to attach drygloves to a drysuit. Informative and helpful and we need something like that here! Your on the right track.

Good idea...any time I want to learn about something, a youtube demo is the way to go. A lot is lost in translation when using static images and descriptive text.

navyhmc
03-06-2012, 16:14
You haven't seen the Scuba Toys videos have you? :smiley36:

riza201saly
05-08-2012, 20:10
Wow ..keep it up :) i was looking forward to it ...great job

Asting
01-15-2014, 19:22
Is the size limit still 80 megabytes?