PDA

View Full Version : Online Master Diver Quiz

igotag!
03-03-2008, 15:29
I have devoloped a Master Diver Quiz just to help divers out! Please provide any input or potential questions/answers! Can't wait to hear from you!

Sound Dive Center - Master Diver Test (http://www.sounddivecenter.com/html/master_diver_test.html) -> Training -> Online Quizzes -> Master Diver

texdiveguy
03-03-2008, 15:42
Online Master Diver Quiz - ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/223357-online-master-diver-quiz.html)

No Misses
03-03-2008, 15:50
:-( I failed :-(

obrules15
03-03-2008, 16:16
I failed and I just passed the divemaster test with flying colors. I think many of the questions are very confusing. Very, very, very confusing. I also disagree about intestines and barotrauma and I think the question about absolut zero was not phrased well.

Gombessa
03-03-2008, 16:48
I failed too. I know nothing about blending gases (and apparently a ton of other stuff needed to be a master diver).

One suggestion is not to have the answer to one question (density is a measurement of?) spelled out in another question (A density of 64 lb/cuft...) when you can go back and change answers.

rye_a
03-03-2008, 16:53
Failed...dang it!

rfb3
03-03-2008, 17:05
64%
I agree that a few of them could be re-worded for carity, but the ones I missed, I simply did not know.

igotag!
03-03-2008, 20:28
I'm totally open to input, any questions you think need to be reworded let me know, specifics! Also everything in that test is directly out of the NAUI Master diver book!

rfb3
03-03-2008, 20:35
Without going back to the test, I remember having difficulty determining what type of "inflatables" the question was referring to... All in all I thoguht it was a good test, and I enjoyed taking it. I mostly missed the physics questions.

hoobascooba
03-03-2008, 22:12
everything in that test is directly out of the NAUI Master diver book!

pfft... no wonder I only got 44%. i'm cert'd with padi :smiley5:

150 points total. i have no clue what I got right and wrong.

not bad though for a non-master diver :smiley36:

navyhmc
03-03-2008, 23:01
everything in that test is directly out of the NAUI Master diver book!

pfft... no wonder I only got 44%. i'm cert'd with padi :smiley5:

not bad though for a non-master diver :smiley36:

Keep going forward w/arrow clicks after you get your score and it will show you which questions you answered correct and what the correct answer is for the ones you missed.

rfb3
03-03-2008, 23:04

Keep hitting the > button, and it steps you thru the test and your answers...

igotag!
03-04-2008, 10:43
Ok so a few people pointed out Copyright issues (i honestly didn't even think about it) i'm just trying to provide all available training opportunities. Anyways, i have reformatted the majority of the questions and deleted a bunch of questions people didn't agree with. More questions on the way!

Gombessa
03-04-2008, 11:03
Ok so a few people pointed out Copyright issues (i honestly didn't even think about it) i'm just trying to provide all available training opportunities. Anyways, i have reformatted the majority of the questions and deleted a bunch of questions people didn't agree with. More questions on the way!

Josh - regarding copyright, generally that just means you cannot reproduce NAUI's material word for word. Taking the *facts* from the book and using them to make your own quiz is not copyright infringement.

igotag!
03-04-2008, 14:06

Josh - regarding copyright, generally that just means you cannot reproduce NAUI's material word for word. Taking the *facts* from the book and using them to make your own quiz is not copyright infringement.

Thats what i've done, reformated lots of questions. Added a few.

ScaredSilly
03-04-2008, 15:04
So I took the quiz and got 32/37 correct

A few comments: The question regarding the SAC rate is confusing because to get it you need to take into account the 1 atmosphere so you can subtract it out first or divide then subtract 1.

Regarding diver in distress - extending flotation assumes that there is a boat or another source for getting floatation. If I am on the surface about the only flotation that a diver would have is their BC (I have a SMB that I could use) but I would be taking it off cause if the diver came after me I would want to be able to submerge.

The other questions were fine - although the barotruma question would be better asked in combination with ears rather than intestines.

igotag!
03-04-2008, 16:04
So I took the quiz and got 32/37 correct

A few comments: The question regarding the SAC rate is confusing because to get it you need to take into account the 1 atmosphere so you can subtract it out first or divide then subtract 1.

Regarding diver in distress - extending flotation assumes that there is a boat or another source for getting floatation. If I am on the surface about the only flotation that a diver would have is their BC (I have a SMB that I could use) but I would be taking it off cause if the diver came after me I would want to be able to submerge.

The other questions were fine - although the barotruma question would be better asked in combination with ears rather than intestines.

When I went through my rescue class I was taught that the rescuers gear is expendable. So when you decided to start your rescue, aka extending flotation, the rescuer can always remove his bc, fully inflate it, and send it towards the diver in distress. Just how I learned it, I am interested to hear opinions in that philosophy.

Doghouse
03-06-2008, 12:49
64% and just AOW with 35 dives. Great test, I know nothing about mixed gasses. Very interesting though.

ScottW
03-06-2008, 16:38
Question 39
“What is required to provide 100% 02”
Neither of those are ‘required’ to provide 02.

I would reword that to ‘Which level of training is recommended to provide 02?’

Hollywood703
03-15-2008, 13:07
yes, a lot of misleading questions......I found several of which could be interpreted differently.....I Would not recommend the quiz to somoene considering MD....I would list it as a Scuba Quiz more than Master diver.

medicdiver
03-15-2008, 16:46
I think it was a good quiz. Some of the questions I had no idea how to answer but overall pretty good. Once I get to dive master level I will check it out again.

Duckydiver
03-16-2008, 21:49
I failed, oh well

RoyN
03-16-2008, 22:36
Whoa! The web browser crashed!

johnyringo
03-17-2008, 00:49
Without going back to the test, I remember having difficulty determining what type of "inflatables" the question was referring to... All in all I thoguht it was a good test, and I enjoyed taking it. I mostly missed the physics questions.

Yea...the physics, had a little difficulty with that on my PADI DM course also.
Nice work though!

BSea
03-17-2008, 08:38
I failed too (71%). I think it shows just how much you don't retain. Plus some of that, I don't ever remember covering in any class. The inflatable boat question for 1 (but I guessed right anyway). BTW, where did you get your questions?

frankc420
03-17-2008, 09:39
60%... Guess I'm among the majority? :P

MicahEW
03-17-2008, 17:35
I failed with an 80%

DRNightdiver
03-17-2008, 19:32
64%, It's clear that I should study up on tanks. I missed all but 2 of the questions pertaining to tanks and tank valves.

DRNightdiver
03-17-2008, 20:03
64%, It's clear that I should study up on tanks. I missed all but 2 of the questions pertaining to tanks and tank valves.

divinginn
03-17-2008, 20:34
59 percent failed,did good on tanks but it has been 27 years since I have been in a scuba classroom,it was good to brush up on some of the things I have long forgotten or never knew.

Sasha_K
03-21-2008, 01:18
I failed, but I'm not a master diver, just begginer diver. Wanted to take it for a ride, and it works well :-) (140/390) :-)

Penguino
04-03-2008, 00:48
Either its too easy, or I had a really good OW instructor... 65% and just out of certification...

navyscuba8
05-23-2009, 03:20
I just took the Master Diver practice test. I scored a 97%. 380/390 possible point's. It was very easy. I missed the question on "Mass of the unit and Volume". I took the Advance Practice Test online and scored a 100%. Scored a 100% on the SCUBA Practice test.

mitsuguy
09-15-2009, 21:20
I hate to resurrect this thread, but saw it in the related links at the bottom and decided to follow it...

As many others have noted already, some of the questions are poorly worded.

For instance,

Question 3: "What is the maximum speed a fit diver could sustain for a short period of time"
A: According to the fin tests, divers sustain 2-3 knots pretty regularly with many different fins, for short periods of time. But, then again, 5 minutes might be the short period of time, and for that, 1 knot may be correct.

Question 9: What type of bottoms offer the best visibility?
A: obviously not sand or silt, but, it could easily be coral or rock - I doubt anyone has ever done any tests to verify one way or the other...

Question 23: A diver is more at risk of overheating on a hot day, diving in __ water.
A: All else being the same, there would be a higher risk of overheating diving in hot water on a hot day, however, if you could reliably read into the question, and assume that if there was cold water, that a diver would be wearing a thicker wetsuit or drysuit, then, cold would be the correct answer, unfortunately it's too vague

Question 37: When diving off inflatable boats, you should subtract what percentage from the boats rated capacity?
A: Qualify this please... A boats rated capacity is its rated capacity whether you are diving from it or not. Are we to assume that the percentage subtracted is for gear allowance? Why wouldn't we just estimate the weight of the gear and subtract that?

it_mike
09-16-2009, 15:55
Thanks Cody...You just had to bring this to the top of the list.

64%, which seems normal here. Qualifier, I haven't taken a course since my AOW in 1995, so naming laws, dealing with trimix, or guessing what they teach today is a little difficult.

navyhmc
09-16-2009, 22:52
Took it again (I think) got an 87%.

Mitsuguy:

Question 23: A diver is more at risk of overheating on a hot day, diving in __ water.
A: All else being the same, there would be a higher risk of overheating diving in hot water on a hot day, however, if you could reliably read into the question, and assume that if there was cold water, that a diver would be wearing a thicker wetsuit or drysuit, then, cold would be the correct answer, unfortunately it's too vague
This one is right out of the deep diver manual (maybe others) and is all but a direct quote. The overheating risk from hot day and cold water is due to the amount of insulation you have on to make the dive-overheating on the surface before you get into the water. Even "hot" water is usually below 98.6f(37c) so no matter what, a hot day with hot water will not have the same level of hyperthermia as hot day, cold water.

Question 37: When diving off inflatable boats, you should subtract what percentage from the boats rated capacity?
A: Qualify this please... A boats rated capacity is its rated capacity whether you are diving from it or not. Are we to assume that the percentage subtracted is for gear allowance? Why wouldn't we just estimate the weight of the gear and subtract that?

Boat capacities are usually rated in max persons per USCG regs. A lot will also post max weight capacity as well, but the info is directed at at # of persons.

OR at least that was my take on those questions (I got all of those right....:D)

I agree with you on #3 and #9.

mitsuguy
09-17-2009, 07:14
Question 23:
This one is right out of the deep diver manual (maybe others) and is all but a direct quote. The overheating risk from hot day and cold water is due to the amount of insulation you have on to make the dive-overheating on the surface before you get into the water. Even "hot" water is usually below 98.6f(37c) so no matter what, a hot day with hot water will not have the same level of hyperthermia as hot day, cold water.

Question 37:
Boat capacities are usually rated in max persons per USCG regs. A lot will also post max weight capacity as well, but the info is directed at at # of persons.

OR at least that was my take on those questions (I got all of those right....:D)

I agree with you on #3 and #9.

Still the problem with #23 is still that cool water will offer a certain amount of cooling that you don't get with warm water. For instance, my wifes mother was diving with us about a month ago - she was sure she needed a 3 mil wetsuit, even though water temps were 84 degrees and air temp was 88ish... Anyways, she got hot on the surface waiting to get in, then underwater, she continued to overheat and we ended up pulling down the top half of her wetsuit underwater... Had it been cool water, there would have been enough difference to cool her off...

Question 37:
Every boat I've ever been on has had an approved passenger number and an approved weight rating - passenger number is set by the manufacturer, and approved by the Coast Guard. Weight carrying capacity is set by the manufacturer, and the CG only cares about total tonnage. So, for instance, the 6 pack boats we use, 19' Patten Inflatables, are rated at 3000 Lbs, or 10 people. The Coast Guard rates them for 6 paying customers, and up to 4 crew. We have a captain, divemaster and up to 6 customers. That's 7 sets of gear, or 350 lbs, roughly. Although it may be in the text, it is very much a generalization.

waytooslow
09-17-2009, 16:17
failed at 78%

in_cavediver
09-17-2009, 17:40
Took it again (I think) got an 87%.

Mitsuguy:

Just because its a quote out of a book doesn't mean its right or valid.

The question could have been worded MUCH better. The idea is to convey the issue of hyperthermia when diving cold water. My version:

When diving cold water with heavy exposure protection, divers must be cognisent of the danger of _______ on the surface when air temperatures are hot.