PDA

View Full Version : where to dive with Dolphins?

EuphoriaII
03-03-2008, 15:48
There are lots of shark diving operations. And a variety of fish are known to be found in certain areas. But I don't recall anyone talking about a dive where they intentionally went looking for, and found a population of dolphins, other than that documentary (and the captive dolphin swims).
Just wondering

CompuDude
03-03-2008, 15:51
From speaking to others, the impression I get is that divers very rarely see dolphins in the water. Seems like they may avoid them. We see them playing in the surf all the time, from shore, but I can't recall hearing any stories of divers seeing them at depth.

BoomerNJ
03-04-2008, 16:43
I have seen something about a resort in Puerta Plata, Dominican Republic that has a dolphin program. I found this link through google, https://kattour2.securesites.com/index.htm
I have heard there are places in the Caymans & the Bahamas too...

Osprey
03-04-2008, 17:08
It depends where you go, many places make it illegal to actively seek out and interact with marine mammals

Me? I just hit the gulf at 7am, they're always close to shore fishing

solodiver
03-04-2008, 19:50
You have to be with someone that knows them, they just don't show up like the movies

It is a very, very , very rare time when I do not see a pod of dolphins when I am out, normally several pods and dozens of them

Ove rthe years many have come to know my wife and I, they msut recognize the sound of our skiff engine. We seee them come a long distance to say hey

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/3/9/0/2/ana_dolphin.jpg

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/3/9/0/2/60580013.jpg

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/3/9/0/2/60580007.jpg

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/3/9/0/2/anastandrews26_21_07.jpg

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/3/9/0/2/boatstandrews6_21_07.jpg

Camera lens wet, blurred

Check out my dive boat Thread

http://forum.scubatoys.com/southeast-florida/9991-dive-boat-project-florida-pan-handle.html

Travelnsj
03-05-2008, 01:09
In Rangiora, I did a back roll off a Zodiac...you have to descend immediately due to the current...down around 50' or so turned to look for the other 4 divers....In my face was a bottlenose!....I'm getting my camera uphooked...taking shots...my alarm goes off I'm about 105' finally started to kick up and look for my buddies....all 4 had a Dolphin on them....all the dolphins got together and swam around us an the disappeared into the blue...That was a WOW dive!!!!!

Athena2c
03-05-2008, 21:11
Explorer is just starting up a liveaboard trip focused on dolphins in the Bahamas.

EuphoriaII
03-06-2008, 08:25
In Rangiora, I did a back roll off a Zodiac...you have to descend immediately due to the current...down around 50' or so turned to look for the other 4 divers....In my face was a bottlenose!....I'm getting my camera uphooked...taking shots...my alarm goes off I'm about 105' finally started to kick up and look for my buddies....all 4 had a Dolphin on them....all the dolphins got together and swam around us an the disappeared into the blue...That was a WOW dive!!!!!
Now THATS what I'm talking about. I know about the captive Dolphin encounters, I just saw one last week in Puerto Aventuras but I was just wondering why I've seen so many places where dolphins will come up to boats on the surface but yet I see so few reports of divers seeing them.

The explorer liveaboard trip sounds interesting

UCFKnightDiver
03-06-2008, 10:36
Out of north florida to be exact St. Marks south of Tallahassee we me and my brother were out on the wave runners/jet skis on some flats and dolphins came up and swam around us we jumped in the water and it was so cool. And cold btw this was in the winter lol

NitroWill
03-06-2008, 11:18
Perusing, feeding, petting, and/or "jumping in" with dolphins in the wild is ILLEGAL in the US.

The Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972 protects dolphins as well as all other marine mammals. Under the MMPA it is illegal to harass or feed marine mammals in the wild. Violations can result in civil penalties of up to $12,000 and criminal fines of up to $20,000 and jail time.

Not only is it illegal to interact with dolphins, but it is also dangerous for both humans and the animals involved. Dolphins habituated to receiving handouts learn to approach boats and can sustain serious propeller injuries. Also, some have become aggressive when seeking food and have been known to bite when teased.

Travelnsj
03-06-2008, 11:51
Perusing, feeding, petting, and/or "jumping in" with dolphins in the wild is ILLEGAL in the US.

The Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972 protects dolphins as well as all other marine mammals. Under the MMPA it is illegal to harass or feed marine mammals in the wild. Violations can result in civil penalties of up to $12,000 and criminal fines of up to $20,000 and jail time.

Not only is it illegal to interact with dolphins, but it is also dangerous for both humans and the animals involved. Dolphins habituated to receiving handouts learn to approach boats and can sustain serious propeller injuries. Also, some have become aggressive when seeking food and have been known to bite when teased.

Wish they would enforce that in Kona. This last year when we were going North to a dive site, there were many boats where the spinner Dolphins hang out and sleep during the day. These boat loads of people jump in to "swim with the Dolphins" of course this is done under "Research"...if any one wants to swim with the Dolphins do your research...go to places that are rehibilitating Dolphins that cannot go back into the wild and they offer limited contact and a swim with Dolphins.

CaptainRon
03-06-2008, 12:23

I don't think just watching, touching, interacting, or being in the water swimming around with dolphins would constitute "harassing" under the act and therefore would not be considered illegal. If the dolphins did not want to interact, they could just swim away. I don't think these actions would meet the definition of harassing (Harass - 1. To irritate or torment persistently 2. To wear out; exhaust 3. To impede and exhaust (an enemy) by repeated attacks or raids.) I think the difficulty of equating these activities to harassment is the reason the government does not shut down dolphin encounter programs in the US. Of course, I'm not a lawyer so just my opinion.

I do agree with the part about not feeding them in the wild and the reasoning behind it. Feeding any wild animal invites an unnatural behavior and creates dependency in them.

NitroWill
03-06-2008, 12:26
It is illegal if you read the rest of the article or the law.

Many boaters attempt to interact with dolphins by petting, feeding or teasing the animals. These actions are illegal and compromise the dolphins' safety and willingness to forage for food. Some dolphins begin to aggressively seek food from humans after receiving frequent hand feedings.

"It's hard to ignore a dolphin that comes up to the boat seemingly begging for food or a pat. That is a learned begging behavior, not a natural dolphin instinct.