PDA

View Full Version : Lanyard for camera?

TxHockeyGuy
07-10-2007, 12:12
I should have put this in my other post, but oh well. According to USPS I should be getting the rest of my camera rig today. So, once I assemble all of this I'm thinking I should utilize some sort of a lanyard or at the very least have a snap bolt attached so I can clip it off to a d-ring during a dive. Or, I'm thinking, both. I'd really hate to lose something I just spent $1500 on. Oh, and ScubaToys needs to carry more camera equipment. I had to go elsewhere to get what I wanted.

I was thinking maybe something like http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=CRLO3.

The only thing I don't care for about this is that it seems to not keep the camera very close to you when clipped. Then again this probably isn't a huge problem as it probably won't be clipped in very often.

What does everyone else use for this?

Jeff
07-10-2007, 12:59
The lanyard you've linked to is ideal for what you're looking for. I use that on an Olympus rig I have set up.

As for ST needing to carry more camera gear, make sure you talk to them before you go anywhere else. they can get anything you need, from any vendor. Don't just assume because its not in the shop, or on the site, that they don't carry it.

I've spent a small fortune on gear, and every time I've needed something, they've been able to get it for me, so ask before assuming!!!

SoSiouxme
07-10-2007, 14:30
That is exactly what I have but I thinkmy coil is a little longer. I like the longer coil because it enables me to hand the camera off to other people to take pictures of me blowing regulator rings at safety stops. (An essential feature.)

TxHockeyGuy
07-10-2007, 15:52
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be up there tonight making me some more purchases. I knew this underwater photo thing would be expensive but I've already spent more on this than my land based SLR!

Diver Dennis
07-10-2007, 22:57
I use a coiled lanyard on really deep dives but normally I don't use anything.

RonFrank
07-11-2007, 10:51
I use a Lanyard similar to what you have posted on my Nikon D200/Ikelite setup.

I sometimes don't bother clipping it off on shallow reefs, but on Deep dives IMO this is a must. I just watched a guy drop a $5000 setup on the Duane in current a couple weeks back. He dropped it near the surface trying to help untangle a diver on the surface line. In 120' of water and in a strong current, that rig is gone.

I clip my setup off to a shoulder dring, and that allows me to use both hands when needed.

torrey
07-11-2007, 12:00
I use the same lanyard you posted as well for my Oly SP-350. As far as carrying more camera gear, I would think that would be cost prohibitive. The actual underwater camera manufacturers don't come out with that many models over time, whereas there are a ton of other camera manufacturers for which underwater housings are available, and new models quickly make the old ones obsolete. I would think the best option would be to allow divers to pick housings for their already existing cameras which could be sent directly to the consumer, or arrive at the store for pick-up. This way, they wouldn't have to keep an inventory of expensive cameras that are quickly depreciating and could most likely be had at a Best Buy for less anyway (which is where most people are going to go when they're considering a camera).

marshallkarp
07-11-2007, 20:11
Made my first strong current dive last week in Fort Lauderdale diving the J Scutty. Took my digital videocamera and housing with me. I used that coiled magnetic lanyard, clipped to the housing and my vest. I hung on tight to that housing, but I was glad that I had that lanyard for a back-up.

Jeff
07-12-2007, 11:34
I use a Lanyard similar to what you have posted on my Nikon D200/Ikelite setup.

I sometimes don't bother clipping it off on shallow reefs, but on Deep dives IMO this is a must. I just watched a guy drop a $5000 setup on the Duane in current a couple weeks back. He dropped it near the surface trying to help untangle a diver on the surface line. In 120' of water and in a strong current, that rig is gone.

I clip my setup off to a shoulder dring, and that allows me to use both hands when needed.

While I've never lost a complete rig, I have had mine flood. Unfortunately it was in the bucket on the boat...

But that's why I have insurance. I consider it as important as my regulator. Anyone thinking about getting into this expensive end of the hobby, should seriously consider equipment insurance. DAN has an excellent program. Makes losing a $5k rig a little less painful.

For my Nikon/Ikelite setup, I've made my own tether, and clip it to a D-ring on my shoulder strap.

przeor
07-13-2007, 00:27
Pre-strobe, i just had a small retractor cliped to my housing that worked well. With the strobe I'll be switching to one of these coil lanyards- espcially for wall dives- when it's gone, it's gone! I just have to figure out where to clip it? probably on the bottom of the stobe arm (DS-51)- the camera/housing is positive, so if it unscrews for some reason is headed up, the strobe however, is going down down down...

Joew
07-13-2007, 03:17
I usually just use a bolt snap attached to one of the handles. On deep dives I use a bodyboarding leash that I hijacked from one of my old boards. It's kind of like the coiled lanyards for sale, but it has a wrist strap instead of a clip.

frankc420
07-14-2007, 11:59
I will have a lanyard on my camera, without a doubt.

CompuDude
07-14-2007, 12:22
For a small lightweight camera, you can sometimes get away witha lightweight retractor.

For any substantial rig (or pretty much anything in an Ikelite case!) or with a strobe, you'll need something beefier. The lanyard pictured in the first thread is good. I prefer the version with brass boltsnaps and a splitring, however, for my rig. I've seen too many plastic snaps break!

tx.lakerat
07-17-2007, 16:03
that's the coil that I use on my camera and have not had any problems with it

Lucky(AR)
07-17-2007, 16:09
i also use a coil lanyard the best thing i have found
<DIV></DIV>

Phestr
08-01-2007, 05:35
Yep, buy the coil. I use it for my Canon A610, it's great. And at night, if I don't take the camera, it holds my flashlight. Hmmm, maybe I need another one...

Willar
08-08-2007, 21:35
I used that same lanyard but had problems with the plastic clips that hold the rubber coil cord. It failed and would have let my camera gear fall away.

I switched to a very similar product that has all stainless steel clips and d-rings with the coil cord looped and crimped around the d-rings. It is much more secure than the all plastic version.

I wouldn't use the standard retractors. I've seem too many of them fail and I wouldn't risk big $ on that.

CompuDude
08-08-2007, 22:57
I used that same lanyard but had problems with the plastic clips that hold the rubber coil cord. It failed and would have let my camera gear fall away.

I switched to a very similar product that has all stainless steel clips and d-rings with the coil cord looped and crimped around the d-rings. It is much more secure than the all plastic version.

I wouldn't use the standard retractors. I've seem too many of them fail and I wouldn't risk big $ on that.
Tell me more of this coil with SS connectors... sounds like my cup of tea! Where can I get one? Got pics?