PDA

View Full Version : What is yalls thought on this view of diving?

Ryanh1801
03-04-2008, 01:12
Had an experience this weekend that made me think of a few thing. Had a dive buddy that was, well for lack of better words, pretty scary underwater. I have been giving it a lot of though, that in scuba training their is no talk about self reliance/ self rescue. Everything that is taught, is that if in trouble your buddy will help you. When we where diving all I could think was, if I had a problem, im really not sure I could trust this person to help me. I guess I have a real problem with trusting someone else that is having hell with their own diving to help me, if a problem pop's up. Anyways im thinking my next scuba purchase are going to be, back up equipment. Probably going to do either a set of doubles's or sling a bottle. If something happens at depth, I want to have the option of helping my self, and not depending on someone else. What is yall's thoughts on this line of thinking? And before anyone ask, no im not planing on solo diving or anything, but more along the lines of being self reliant, and not having to depend solely on someone else. Maybe im just over reacting.

CompuDude
03-04-2008, 01:26
Self reliance is a good thing. If you want to add a pony for redundancy, there's nothing wrong with that. Be aware of it's limitations, however... how long the gas will last at depth. Lots of threads about selecting the right size for your diving.

And a good buddy is priceless. And sadly, hard to find at times.

msprzeor
03-04-2008, 01:27
Had an experience this weekend that made me think of a few thing. Had a dive buddy that was, well for lack of better words, pretty scary underwater.

Got some examples of what they did/didn't do?

Ryanh1801
03-04-2008, 01:34
Had an experience this weekend that made me think of a few thing. Had a dive buddy that was, well for lack of better words, pretty scary underwater.

Got some examples of what they did/didn't do?

It was more or less just lack of Buoyancy skills . It was a mix of more, just not really sure how to describe it. I guess they just looked very uncomfortable in the water.

Ryanh1801
03-04-2008, 01:36
Self reliance is a good thing. If you want to add a pony for redundancy, there's nothing wrong with that. Be aware of it's limitations, however... how long the gas will last at depth. Lots of threads about selecting the right size for your diving.

And a good buddy is priceless. And sadly, hard to find at times.

I have definitely looked over a few of the pony tank threads today. Lots of good info. Yes a good buddy is priceless, luckily this was one of my first bad experience.

Crimediver
03-04-2008, 06:43
You need to be able to take care of yourself. I do a lot of solo diving and gear up with redundant equipment such as pony, extra mask, etc. Hopefully if i get in a bind I can deal with it myself. I have been stuck with some buddies that were so bad I was amazed and astonished.
I just dove with one not long ago that took 45 minutes to get geared up and looked like he was riding a unicycle when he dove. One minute he would be fifty feet above me and the next moment he was dropping like a rock. I doubt he could have even gotten to me in a timely manner if I was in trouble. That is the kind of luck you get when you dive in Florida and get an insta-buddy on a cattle boat.

DarinMartell
03-04-2008, 11:07
I agree 100%, I was afraid of this even before I was certified since I knew most of my diving would be with an instabuddy. I bought a Spare Air right away even before certification. After reading all of the posts regarding Pony size I got religion just sold my Spare Air on E-bay (Paid $190 a year ago, sold it for $183), Bought a new reg set, and am in the middle of buying a pony from Larry.

rye_a
03-04-2008, 11:10
THere is nothing better than a good buddy, and sometimes the pony tank at your side is a better buddy than the jackass a dive op has paired you up with.

igotag!
03-04-2008, 16:08
I am one of the lucky ones that has a 'reliable and trustworthy' dive buddy. However I am still looking into a pony bottle. Just because you've got a great dive buddy, doesn't necessarily mean he will be around when you need him...

rfb3
03-04-2008, 16:15
If something happens at depth, I want to have the option of helping my self, and not depending on someone else. What is yall's thoughts on this line of thinking?

I am all for it! When my wife quit diving, I bought a pony bottle.

newways
03-04-2008, 20:12
I have a good dive buddy as well. Recently, in Jamaica, those who came to dive solo with Sundivers weren't assigned a buddy. The dive master was very attentive and it was obvious he was watching out for everyone. However, we went through a few swim throughs and there is always a possibility that someone can have a problem out of sight.

I play the 'what if' game. What if my BC springs a leak? What if my reg stops working? It's a great game during that three minute safety stop. Run scenarios through your mind over and over again and ask yourself what if your buddy isn't there?

solodiver
03-04-2008, 20:23
Even the worst buddy is good to have around when sharks show up, if he does not swim faster then you , you can stick him with your knife, gives you more time to get away. At least that's what I tell people when they ask why we carreid such big knives in the old days