PDA

View Full Version : Apollo Bio-Tank Lock (Review)

Judestudio
07-31-2007, 06:12
I bought an Apollo Bio-Tank Lock (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Tanklock) from ST a little while back, and took it for a dive today. It was one of the sweetest additions to the gear! I no longer need to kneel on the ground try to tighten the cam bands anymore. By twisting the tank lock screw with TWO FINGERS, I got my BC tightened to the tank in no time and way tighter than I ever had with normal cam bands. It's so easy, a 3 yr old could have done it!

I highly recommend it to anyone. It really isn't too much more expensive than a quality cam band with a s. steel buckle.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/tanks/pics/tanklock.jpg

ScubaToys Larry
07-31-2007, 06:18
Thanks for taking the time to do such a nice write up on the product. I've found people really like those - and the only folks that don't, are ones that have to change tank diameters all the time. So if you are going from an aluminum 50 to an al 80 to a steel 120 - it might drive you a little nuts as you have to readjust which takes a little more time than a standard cam latch.

But I agree with your take on it... a few spins of the thing, and the cam is as tight as a banjo string with almost no effort required!

edit: Note, I'm going to copy this thread over into the Apollo specific area as well...

comet24
07-31-2007, 06:32
Whats involved with changing it to fit different tanks sizes.

ScubaToys Larry
07-31-2007, 06:43
You kinda' have to push the webbing into one of the metal buckles, then put it on the tank and see if you got it right. So if you didn't make it tight enough, you unscrew the thing, take it back off, push a little more webbing into the buckle, then put it back on, then screw down again.

After you're set for a size, piece of cake, but when switching, plan on about another 1 or 2 minutes of adjusting - unlike a standard cam where you just yank... But when it's done - this is much more secure than a standard cam.

Not sure if that made sense... difficult to explain how it works sorta'.

Judestudio
07-31-2007, 06:47
Thanks for taking the time to do such a nice write up on the product. I've found people really like those - and the only folks that don't, are ones that have to change tank diameters all the time. So if you are going from an aluminum 50 to an al 80 to a steel 120 - it might drive you a little nuts as you have to readjust which takes a little more time than a standard cam latch
The webbing on this tank lock is one of those soft type, those that use a BP/W will be familiar, it's the same material they use for the crotch strap, that makes adjusting or even re-threading very easy. The band is webbed through a VERY simple threading, WAY easier than the normal cam bands (which I believe you'll have to go through the same if not worse agony for readjusting tank diameters)!

Today was the first time I dive with my new BC, and I had to do adjustments for both the Bio-Tank Lock and a normal cam band. The cam band took me a good few hours to figure out how to thread (at home) and adjusting wasn't fun at all, the stupid velcro keep sticking to each other when I'm trying adjust! The Bio-Tank Lock? Yea, 2 attempts and I got it right! Only problem, I had to keep it away from a few jealous eyes.

Judestudio
07-31-2007, 06:55
...unlike a standard cam where you just yank...
Yanking works if I'm going from a bigger diameter to a smaller one. When I was adjusting the other way round, I often have to push the webbing back to get a bigger diameter (make sense?), and I find that very annoying, coz of the way it's threaded, I kinda have to push on one side, pull on the other, and then velcro getting in the way...and with a new stiff webbing, it doesn't make it easier.

...when switching, plan on about another 1 or 2 minutes of adjusting
1-2 minutes would give you enough time to take out the whole webbing, and re-thread from scratch, and make a perfect fitting on the Bio-Tank Lock. When it's adjusted, I'm not kidding, a 3 yr old can screw the knob and tighten it 100x tighter than a big guy trying to yank on the normal cam band.

Black-Gorrilla
07-31-2007, 11:01
great review... wish i had ordered one with my order that comes in tomorrow.

CompuDude
08-03-2007, 16:21
Great review! I've been considering those (as someone who can never have enough toys).

I switch back and forth between 7" LP80s, 7.25" HP100s and 8" HP119s/LP95s all the time, though. I'm comfortable adjusting my SS cam bands and do it very quickly. Plus I'd need two with a bp/w... so I think it makes sense to stick with what I've got.

I may pick one up at some point for my pool BC, however, which only gets used with Al.80s (when I'm assisting classes).

BSea
08-03-2007, 16:58
I'm with compudude. When I had my Seaquest Balance, I almost ordered 1 of those, but then I decided that since I was going with a new bc with 2 tank straps, I would pass on it. But I've seen a few in action, and they are really nice.

I also have the situation of changing tank sizes, and it's just easier to adjust the standard cam straps.

Judestudio
08-03-2007, 17:15
Plus I'd need two with a bp/w... so I think it makes sense to stick with what I've got.

I may pick one up at some point for my pool BC, however, which only gets used with Al.80s (when I'm assisting classes).
I'm also using a BP/W with 2 tank straps. But I only installed one Bio-Tank Lock (the top one), and use a "normal" strap as the second strap. The Bio-Tank Lock is so strong, it's able to hold the tank tight even without the second strap. But I thought I'd put one on anyway. :smiley2:

picxie
08-03-2007, 19:52
This sounds really ideal. I quite often have trouble tightning up the straps. I'm fine once it's tightened, for a few dives, but as it generally loosens I have issues tightening it back up again. I feel stink asking people to tighten it for me (I feel like such a girl!).

Are they pretty easy to install on any BCD?

ScubaToys Larry
08-03-2007, 19:58
Yes... very easy.

DirtyWaterIL
08-05-2007, 12:42
great reveiw. Although i think that the reason most people have difficulty tightening their straps is just because they weren't showed the proper way to do it. Ive found that unthreading the first loop, giving a good jerk on the strap, velcoing it down then rethreading after youve snapped it shut gets it plenty tight every time. I have 2 straps and It only takes me about 6 seconds to do both. To loosten mine I just undo the buckle and push down on it which loostens it up enough to slide it right off the tank. I go back and forth between 50, 63, 74, and 80 cuft tanks all the time and have never had a problem with my bands. Although iv'e found that especially in a large group teaching people how to get their BC on their tank can be one of the most difficult parts of an OW class.