PDA

View Full Version : Shore diving in the Myrtle beach area

Trey9123
03-04-2008, 22:01
Is their any shore diving in the Myrtle beach area of South Carolina? My girlfriend has a house down their, and we make a trip once a moth or so for the weekend. We are poor college kids, so we can always afford to hop a dive boat, and often on weekends we cant find a slot anyways. I don't really care if it is great, I just like to get wet. If anyone knows of a spot where you can jump in swim around a little let me know.
Thanks,
Trey

fireflock
03-05-2008, 06:53
No. It's all sand, and the viz is poor. You pretty much need a boat to get anywhere that has decent diving.

The only remote possibility is along one of the jetties, but you need to shoot for slack tide and be careful of currents and fishing line (and boat traffic).

Sorry....

Rich

Trey9123
03-07-2008, 01:30
Is their any shore diving anywhere along the Carolina's coasts at all. Even something that most might not consider worth the time. Remember... some of us are still pretty unexperienced and even seeing school of mullet and blue crabs fighting over scraps are still worth our time.

fireflock
03-07-2008, 08:39
The most popular is Radio Island between Morehead City and Beaufort NC. You can only dive at high slack tide, which limits things, but it's a good place to get wet and see some stuff.

People also dive the Massonboro jetty near Wrigtsville Beach and there is some decent stuff (again condition dependent) in the Nags Head area (google USS Huron).

Hope that helps-

Rich

Trey9123
03-07-2008, 08:54
Thanks so much Rich

Trey9123
03-07-2008, 21:14
All that I could find is that the USS Huron is a good dive site but is a really long swim from the beach. About how far are we talking?

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
03-15-2008, 17:50
The Huron is about 200 yards. The Triangle Wrecks (mile post #7) are only about 100 yards from the beach. Even though these wrecks are shallow, they are advanced dives. There's surf, surge, low viz, potential for rip-currents, etc.

FWIW, the closest I ever came to drowning was diving the Kyzyckes in Nags Head. It was not that close, but the possibilty entered my mind after getting rolled in the surf and struglgling to recover my reg. I strongly suggest you go with an experienced diver the first time you go.

Nags Head is awfully far from where you are. The amount you save in gas and hotel (by staying at your girlfriends) would probably pay for a charter our of Myrtle Beach. If you want to dive on the cheap, based on where you are, Lake Jocassee is the your best bet.