PDA

View Full Version : Where to find conch for fritters

Trey9123
03-04-2008, 22:14
My girlfriend grew up sailing around the Caribbeans with her dad. To this day, her favorite food she tells me is Conch Fritters. I found a recipe online and I'd like to make them for her, but I have been unable to find conch anywhere. I asked the guy at our local fish market and he said he could not get it. I can't even find it on-line to order. If anyone out there collects conchs, and would like to freeze some meat and send it to me in SC, I would be eternally greatfull. I will of course pay shipping and handling. Also, if anyone has a recipe that they know is great for these fritters, please pass it along as I just took a shot in the dark and downloaded the first one I found when I did a web search for it.
Thanks,
Trey

CaptainRon
03-05-2008, 15:25
Found some online at Charleston Seafood Shellfish Selections (http://www.charlestonseafood.com/mall/Shellfish.asp)

It's not cheap. Around $100 for 5 pounds, but a little goes a long way in fritters. You might find something cheaper. Google "conch meat" and it should bring up some others.

UCFKnightDiver
03-05-2008, 16:04
yummmm conch fritters good luck on your search you said you were coming down to florida for spring break you should be able to find them on quite a few restraunt menus there (or here for me :))

DarinMartell
03-05-2008, 16:19
Did a google search and came up with this: Scungilli: Sliced Conch Meat from LaMonica (http://www.gourmetfoodexpress.com/scungilli_conch.htm)
less expensive but I doubt it is as good as the fresh 5lbs listed above.

coyote
03-05-2008, 18:54
Wow. I have two questions:

What's a conch?
And what's a fritter?

:smilie40:

UCFKnightDiver
03-05-2008, 19:18
hmmm you know a conch shell? its the animal that lives inside I think its a snail but its like one never the less, a conch fritter well its fried conch mixed in with some other stuff

CaptainRon
03-05-2008, 21:05
Conch, which is pronounced "konk", is kind of like a giant sea snail. Fritters ar made with ground up conch mixed with a batter and fried, kind of like hushpuppies. Serve with a spicy dipping sauce and a cold margarita....YUM!!!

Osprey
03-06-2008, 08:10
My stomach just growled when I saw those fritters.. the last time I had conch was in chowder, delicious, but oh man.. fritters!!

Trey9123
03-06-2008, 10:10
This is the recipe that I want to try.

Ingredients:
1 cup conch
1 bell pepper (yellow most preferred)
1 medium onion
1 big garlic clove
2 eggs
2 tablespoons Key lime juice
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup flour (regular NOT self-rising)
2 tablespoons baking powder
Some milk (on hand just in case)
1 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon parsley
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 tablespoon habanero sauce (e.g. Melindas)
3/4 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon basil
1/2 tablespoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:
Pound conch with a rolling pin until it has flattened out (especially the thick and hard "foot"), then dice into small pieces. Mix in lime juice and tomato paste with conch in small bowl. In separate large bowl, dice pepper, onion and garlic. Mix in spices. Mix in conch mixture. Mix in flour, baking powder and eggs.

The mixture should be fairly thick, if you take spoon of it and turn it upside down it should stick there for a few seconds. If too thin, add more flour. If too thick, add a little milk. You could also substitute a little beer for the milk if you like.rec

Get a couple of plates with napkins or paper towels handy, as well as a tablespoon, a teaspoon, a fork, and a metal device for scooping stuff out of hot oil.

Heat a pot of about 2 inches of cooking oil on medium heat. Stir after a few minutes. Oil should be ready after 7 or 8 minutes, don't heat too fast or oil and fritters will burn.

Scoop up 1 tablespoon of fritter mixture, scrape it into oil with teaspoon. Let cook for about 2 minutes, then roll it over with fork (they float) and let cook on other side for about 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Scoop out with scooper and let drain on napkin plate. Let cool a bit and then taste. Carefully adjust seasonings in remainder of batter to taste. Repeat this procedure of making one fritter until you have the spices just right. The recipe may seem like a lot of spices, but they lose their strength when mixed with all that stuff and cooked.

Serve with lemon or lime wedges, some more habenero sauce, and plenty of cold beverages. And be careful with that hot oil. Excessive alcohol consumption and playing around with hot oil definitely do NOT mix.

Enjoy!

CaptainRon
03-06-2008, 12:34
I have substituted calamari for conch when making fritters. You might try that to find a good recipe before using conch because of the expense.

coyote
03-06-2008, 17:02
Hm.. Sounds good. But I might try it with the calamari. The slug/snale things don't sound very tasty :)

Osprey
03-06-2008, 20:32
IMO, conch tastes 1000000 times better than any cephelapod I've had.. and I've had a lot

Osprey
03-06-2008, 20:34
PS- oh god, you live in Normal? We used to take photos of your water tower from the drive to STL- Chicago, it looked homey though :) How is Normal?

Trey9123
03-07-2008, 01:16
This all seems very depressing. So what everyones telling me is that the chances of me getting fresh conch in SC for less than $100 are slim to none. O well, I guess my girlfriend will just have to live off her memories until we can road trip it down to FL. Thank everyone for the input though.

Splitlip
03-07-2008, 05:13
Thanks for the recipe!

One tip though. Use those old fashioned meat grinders for the conch. You can usually get them at any antique shop.
Running the conch through there not only chops it, but it breaks down the muscle better than pounding.
Faster too.

This is the recipe that I want to try.

Ingredients:
1 cup conch
1 bell pepper (yellow most preferred)
1 medium onion
1 big garlic clove
2 eggs
2 tablespoons Key lime juice
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup flour (regular NOT self-rising)
2 tablespoons baking powder
Some milk (on hand just in case)
1 tablespoon thyme
1 tablespoon parsley
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 tablespoon habanero sauce (e.g. Melindas)
3/4 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon basil
1/2 tablespoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:
Pound conch with a rolling pin until it has flattened out (especially the thick and hard "foot"), then dice into small pieces. Mix in lime juice and tomato paste with conch in small bowl. In separate large bowl, dice pepper, onion and garlic. Mix in spices. Mix in conch mixture. Mix in flour, baking powder and eggs.

The mixture should be fairly thick, if you take spoon of it and turn it upside down it should stick there for a few seconds. If too thin, add more flour. If too thick, add a little milk. You could also substitute a little beer for the milk if you like.rec

Get a couple of plates with napkins or paper towels handy, as well as a tablespoon, a teaspoon, a fork, and a metal device for scooping stuff out of hot oil.

Heat a pot of about 2 inches of cooking oil on medium heat. Stir after a few minutes. Oil should be ready after 7 or 8 minutes, don't heat too fast or oil and fritters will burn.

Scoop up 1 tablespoon of fritter mixture, scrape it into oil with teaspoon. Let cook for about 2 minutes, then roll it over with fork (they float) and let cook on other side for about 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Scoop out with scooper and let drain on napkin plate. Let cool a bit and then taste. Carefully adjust seasonings in remainder of batter to taste. Repeat this procedure of making one fritter until you have the spices just right. The recipe may seem like a lot of spices, but they lose their strength when mixed with all that stuff and cooked.

Serve with lemon or lime wedges, some more habenero sauce, and plenty of cold beverages. And be careful with that hot oil. Excessive alcohol consumption and playing around with hot oil definitely do NOT mix.

Enjoy!

coyote
03-07-2008, 06:46
PS- oh god, you live in Normal? We used to take photos of your water tower from the drive to STL- Chicago, it looked homey though :) How is Normal?

Normal is good. :) And thankfully it's anything but normal lately. We're just waiting for spring to arrive.

Osprey
03-07-2008, 22:31

Normal is good. :) And thankfully it's anything but normal lately. We're just waiting for spring to arrive.

Yah the folks back home tell about how nasty it is, and I know it only gets worse as you traverse up through IL. Ugh ugh ugh, I don't miss it! Good luck, hoping for spring showers and lots of May flowers!

jeepbrew
03-08-2008, 09:40
This all seems very depressing. So what everyones telling me is that the chances of me getting fresh conch in SC for less than $100 are slim to none. O well, I guess my girlfriend will just have to live off her memories until we can road trip it down to FL. Thank everyone for the input though.

In another post you mentioned wanting to find some Meg teeth. You and your girlfriend should take a trip to Venice, FL and kill two birds with one stone. You can dive for teeth and then take your girlfriend to Sharky's and get her some Conch Fritters - Sharky's On The Pier (http://www.sharkysonthepier.com/)

If you don't find any conch in the next few months, I can bring some back from the Bahamas for you.

Trey9123
03-08-2008, 14:20
The quest is over. I just went to the fish market on the other side of town to buy some tuna and they told me that they could order fresh conch for me. It's still $25 a pound, but they are going to order some for me and I am going to make it on Friday. Unless anyone has a better suggestion I am going to use the recipe above. Wish me luck. Thank for all the help.
Trey

Splitlip
03-08-2008, 14:50
$25 a pound. Unreal.

20 years ago I had a connection at fish house and I could get 5 pounds for $25.00.

Just made a call to local market. $17.00. I need a new connection cause all this conch talk has inspied me to make my world famous chowder.

Good luck.

reeldive
03-08-2008, 17:25
Grew up in the West Indies. With a lot of time in the southern Bahamas, Conch Chowder, Conch fritters, Cracked conch, Dried conch, Conch salad, etc, Conch shells lined our walk way and were used to boarder our flowers and yard. Good yes, but shure made a beef stake taste good on trips to the States!

Trey9123
03-09-2008, 15:48
Just made a call to local market. $17.00. I need a new connection cause all this conch talk has inspied me to make my world famous chowder.

Since I am getting a pound and my recipe only calls for 1/2 pound of conch, I'd love to have you recipe for conch chowder if you would be willing to share.

Splitlip
03-09-2008, 17:13

Since I am getting a pound and my recipe only calls for 1/2 pound of conch, I'd love to have you recipe for conch chowder if you would be willing to share.

I'll do that.
Just keep in mind when I post it that my recipe is for parties.
You will have proportion the ingredients for the amount of meat you are using.

carriersanders
03-12-2008, 20:26
I'm the gf and we are going to make the conch fritters together, thank everyone so much for all your input....we will let you know how they turn out. On a side note, does anyone have any other great recepies for conch?

Splitlip
03-13-2008, 19:40

1/4 # salt pork diced
2 medium onions chopped
4 cloves garlic crushed
1 large green pepper chopped
1 pound canned tomatos
1 6oz tomato paste
2 quarts hot water
1 teaspoon poltry seasoning
8 large conch put through an antique meat grinder
1 tablespoon vinegar
1-2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon oregano
6 bay leaves
2 tablespons of barbecue sauce (I use Blue Front a "yellow" sauce)
8 or 9 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced (keep sliced in cold water)

Fry down pork. Ad onions garlic and green pepper. Cook until tender. not browned. add tomatoes, paste, hot water and poultry seasoning.cook over low heat while preparing conch.
Add conch to to mix, Bring to a boil and add vinegar, salt, pepper, oregano, bay leaves and barbecue sauce. Simmer for 2 hours. Add potatos and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.

Again. You need to adjust proportions for amount of meat you have.

Trey9123
03-13-2008, 20:57
That sounds great, thank you so much for sharing.

DollFin
04-13-2008, 14:38
Mmmmmmmmmm I love conch!! Now I'm hungry!!!

Splitlip
04-13-2008, 14:45
so am I. I saw this pop up as a subscribed thread, and read it again. Damn.

EuphoriaII
04-16-2008, 10:44
I like raw conch ceveche with lime juice, tomatoes and cllantro. I've had it in both St. Kitts and Majahual, MX.

mike_s
04-16-2008, 13:33
wow.... $25/pound. Surely you can get them frozen somewhere cheaper. In the FL keys most restaurants serve some sort of conch dish. but it's all imported frozen. so there has to be somewhere you can get it.

last time I bought some was in Bimini and it was I think $12 or $15 bucks for a dozen of fresh.

While I love conch fitters, save some of that for "cracked conch". yum.

JediShack
04-16-2008, 20:41
I'm going to see if I can find some conch around here in SoCal to try as this is making me hungry.

Splitlip
04-16-2008, 20:55
wow.... $25/pound. Surely you can get them frozen somewhere cheaper. In the FL keys most restaurants serve some sort of conch dish. but it's all imported frozen. so there has to be somewhere you can get it.

last time I bought some was in Bimini and it was I think $12 or $15 bucks for a dozen of fresh.

While I love conch fitters, save some of that for "cracked conch". yum.

I'll take cracked conch any day over fritters. I've got a dipping sauce recipe using Coleman's mustard as an ingredient around here some place.

Trey9123
04-16-2008, 22:01
I'd love to get a cracked conch recipe if anyone has one

CamaroChick
04-18-2008, 13:31
I LOVE conch!!! A million times better than calamari!
FYI, if you like conch, go to the Turks and Caicos! The have a conch farm where they raise conch to export to those of us not lucky enough to have it in our backyard. I believe one of their distributors is in Miami. There is nothing like fresh conch, and they serve it up every which way in Provo. I even got conch pizza there - yum!

Something else cool I learned about in Provo - there are conch pearls! Just like the ones from oysters except way more rare. They are pricey, but if you're looking for a gift for your gf...:smiley20:

kev99
05-12-2008, 19:09
I remember this thread from a while back and just saw it again. I actually tried conch fritters at a local restaurant a couple of weekends ago. I am usually a meat and potatoes guy with no desire to try new things, but I figured "Hey, why not?" that evening. I was not really impressed with them, they were kind of chewy and tasted like an old BBQ potato chip to me! Mind you, this is the first and only time I have had them so not sure if this was a good example or not. Anyway, thought I would share as I was kind of proud of myself for trying something new, and conch fritters are unique. I had them with the spice charred pork tenderloin at West End Cafe here in Winston Salem and the pork was excellent; probably the best I have ever had. They have a lot of other good items with a nice variety, its a cool little place among many we have in the city. Highly recommended if anyone ever visits the area; West End Cafe, Casual Dining Winston-Salem NC (http://www.westendcafe.com/westend.html)

mike_s
05-12-2008, 22:56
no offense to your what might be one of your favorite places to eat, but I doubt they know how to prepare conch being in NC as that's not a native food there....

if they were rubbery, then they weren't tenderized right.

ReelDuel
05-28-2008, 12:12
Conch ceviche is great. We had fresh conch ceviche and it was wonderful. We also has fried conch. Pounded out flat (tenderized) then fried. It tasted similar to scallops. Conch were everywhere in Belize.

Splitlip
05-28-2008, 21:47
I've had grilled conch where it is tenderized, cut in strips, marinated, grilled and served over a salad of baby greens. Awsome.

Rainer
05-29-2008, 06:22
What do they taste like?

Splitlip
05-29-2008, 22:47
chicken.

Not really. They are rich and full flavored. Unique. I can't think of anything to compare them to. Not fishy, but they taste like they came from the ocean. They are a shell fish, but don't taste like clams, squid, scalops or mussels.