PDA

View Full Version : WTB Used Computer Consol

Trey9123
03-04-2008, 22:26
I"m pretty new to diving and am in the process of purchasing my own gear. I'm trying to find deals on most things new, but because computers are so pricey I would love to find a used one. I know that people are constantly upgrading, I would love to have whatever you aren't going to use anymore. I'm a college kid and funds are limited. If I don't hear from anyone I'm going to get the Aeris XR1 Dive Computer Console at Divers Direct - Scuba gear & equipment online dive catalog! (http://www.diversdirect.com/items/Aeris-XR1-Dive-Computer-Console_ID45827) for $189.99 so if you can't beat that don't bother. Thanks in advance for any help you may give me.
Trey

sixthblade
03-05-2008, 13:44
If you are look at AIR ONLY - Scuba Toys have the Aeris XR-1 Wrist Comp. for circa $145.

Here -
Aeris XR-1 Wrist Computer, Computers: Air, Aeris, Aeris XR-1 Wrist Computer (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=AerisXR1Wrist)

I've had 2 of these units for about 4 years now.
My girlfriend uses one - while I've upgraded to the Nitrox version (I use my other one as an ankle back-up unit).

They are easy to use / control; easy to read; easy to understand.
They are a good basic computer - for not a lot of money.

That could be an option for you.

RoyN
03-05-2008, 14:18
Are you gonna go into nitrox enrich air in the future?

Trey9123
03-07-2008, 01:25
I'm debating now about if i need nitrox or not. I don't really know what the advantages are for a recreational diver. You only really need nitrox if you plan on diving really deep right? I don't really see that in my future. Also isn't it much more expensive to dive nitrox than regular air?
Thanks,
Trey

mitsuguy
03-07-2008, 07:53
I'm debating now about if i need nitrox or not. I don't really know what the advantages are for a recreational diver. You only really need nitrox if you plan on diving really deep right? I don't really see that in my future. Also isn't it much more expensive to dive nitrox than regular air?
Thanks,
Trey

well, not really... first off, there is sometimes a little higher charge for tank fills of nitrox vs air... secondly, you'll need to go through another class for nitrox certification...

nitrox is not for deep diving however, in fact, the higher percentage of oxygen you breathe, the less deep you are able to dive... the difference is, at shallower depths, it extends your no-deco limits (ndl), and allows you to dive longer without getting bent (in theory, and in practice) also, for multiple dives a day, it extends the amount of dives and can lessen SI's as well...

Trey9123
03-07-2008, 09:00
You say shallower dives, what range are you talking about. So far all of my dives have been above 60' and I have never had to make a deco stop. I have always just burned up my tank and surfaced slowly. At what depth do the benefits of nitrox become apparent. I am planing on getting my advanced pen water over the summer and I think that that includes the Nitrox course and the deep diver course. I was also curious, what makes a computer Nitrox compatible or not? Is it just different equations in them, if it is, why do they cost more?

Trey9123
03-07-2008, 15:14
I ended up buying an Oceanic Veo 100 for cheap. I figure that I can upgrade just the console to a nitrox model later if I need to. Overall it really wasen't any more expensive that just buying a set of pressure gauges.
Thanks,
Trey

NitroWill
03-07-2008, 15:27
I ended up buying an Oceanic Veo 100 for cheap. I figure that I can upgrade just the console to a nitrox model later if I need to. Overall it really wasen't any more expensive that just buying a set of pressure gauges.
Thanks,
Trey

You still have a pressure gauge for the console don't you? You will need that to go with the computer - as it is not an air integrated computer.

Trey9123
03-07-2008, 15:31
Yes, the console mounts the computer and a pressure gauge. Oceanic Veo 100 Dive Computer Console , Computers: Air, Oceanic, Oceanic Veo 100 Dive Computer Console (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=oceanicveo100console)

NitroWill
03-07-2008, 15:41
Just making sure :) Enjoy!