PDA

View Full Version : Videographers and etiquette

abcitydiver
03-05-2008, 01:34
On a recent dive with an operator in Cozumel - our party of 7 found a ""videorapher"" on board and diving with us.
We were informed that at the end of the day/early evening the videographer would like to meet with us as a group in our lobby, to show us his video of "our" dive...for free. Then of course if we wanted to buy the DVD of the video it would be $70.

We all kind of rolled our eyes, but no harm right?
Wrong.
This videographer was insanely rude from our perspective: he would drop in right in front of us as we would be eyeing some local goodie, would elbow us out of the way and at several junctures would block our access to the sights that the DM was pointing out for us.

This wasnt just an instance or two, it was pervasive throughout the dive.
If we had been a bit less irate and willing to watch his video (which we certainly did not), my guess is that we would have gotten to see what we thought we were going to see..ON the dive.
Is this becoming more common...videographers put on board? Is there some unspoken level of etiquette they should be following?
What other experiences are out there?

OTGav
03-05-2008, 05:43
Some boats have video guys on all the time as a part of the package - just depends where you are in the world, and on what boat.

Souns like you had a guy who honestly didn't know what they were doing really. I've shot all sorts of video on land and am just about to start underwater (at least I hope I am if the funding comes through). When you are shooting "reality" like a wedding, doco, live performance or sports one of the first things you learn is that the majority of the time you want the subject to have no interaction with the camera, you should be shooting stuff without the subject even being aware that you have pressed the button. Once oyu have that sorted you can get them playing up to the camera.

I suspect that this guy was new and/or filming for two reasons at once - one to get a few $'s selling dive tour vids to people on the dive and two to build up a library of stock footage that he no doubt thinks will be worth millions to someone.

There is no reaosn why someone making a video that's main purpose is to entertain the divers on the trip should get in your face at all - in fact it should be the opposite most of the time. It should also be fun to have them around so you actually want to see what they shot at the end. Lots of times this is the case, you just got a duffer.

unclepooty
03-05-2008, 10:45
Had videographer/photographer sent with us in Cancun, but never really knew he was there. He would go like crazy and then get set for the shots of us he wanted. He then went home and set it to music. We love it and whip everyone that comes to our house with it.:smiley36:

rfb3
03-05-2008, 10:59
I've seen videographers on my boats, but haven't had that happen...

One "elbow out of the way", and he mighta gotten his mask knocked off. :)

Defman
03-05-2008, 11:56
This videographer was insanely rude from our perspective: he would drop in right in front of us as we would be eyeing some local goodie, would elbow us out of the way and at several junctures would block our access to the sights that the DM was pointing out for us.

This happens with most dough-heads with a camera, usually the first one kicks up so much silt/sand that anyone else planning to take a picture is just good & hosed!!

Charles R
03-05-2008, 14:07
Had one on a boat in Maui but did not even notice him while diving.

Kingpatzer
03-05-2008, 14:12
While it wasn't dive related, I ran into this recently.

My response to this was that I refused to release withotu payment for the use of my image and likeness in a commercial project. Being a serious hobbiest photographer, I always have model release forms with me. I filled it out noting that I refused commercial use of my likeness and presented him with it.

I caused him several hours of editing to remove me and my family from his production.

It was the least I could do.

Probably wouldn't work outside the US, but inside the US it's a fun way to discourage that sort of activity.

emcbride81
03-05-2008, 14:44
I had a lady in PDC with us...she always let us get to the creature/corral first, then she came in and took the shot. Most of the time she was off on her own. I think if what happened to you happened to me, I would have told the videographer after a dive or two, look your pi$$ing me off, I am not buying a video no matter what at this point, so if you hassle me again in the water I'll turn off your air! :)

CaptainRon
03-05-2008, 15:01
I have been told most of these guys are independent and not on the staff of the dive operator. The photographer usually pays the dive operator a percentage of his sales for letting him tag along. You might let the dive operator know that he may be losing repeat diving business because of the way people are turned off by that particular photographer and I am sure he will probably take care of the situation. I have been on dives where we never even knew the photographer was there until we viewed the raw video on the way back to port.

sixthblade
03-05-2008, 18:03
Interesting post. We dive Cozumel often, and take groups of varied sized along with us.

We always have had at least one day when a videographer is part of the group. Usually for the 2-morning boat dives - although we've done Punta Sur and Barracuda Reed with videographers too!

I have to echo what most people said here, and say that we didn't notice him being around. He sets the video to music selected by us and so far, every experience has been great.

Divers love the vids - and they tend to be in display whenever a party is had here in Dallas.

I guess you must have had a bad experience.

I like my many dive videos - great way of sharing what we see with other people, and quite often, they have acted as 'the introduction to a new world' for people who went on to become divers.

BTW - night dive videos are awesome - octopuss are really really playful when in the mood!

OTGav
03-05-2008, 18:13
My response to this was that I refused to release withotu payment for the use of my image and likeness in a commercial project.

I caused him several hours of editing to remove me and my family from his production.

Probably wouldn't work outside the US, but inside the US it's a fun way to discourage that sort of activity.

Would work just fine in the UK, Europe, Australia - if it's going on the internet and you're from any of those countries it would work everywhere.

Most places have pretty much the same rules demanding clearance from the subject before it can be released.

Suther2136
03-05-2008, 20:39
The video person on our boat in Cozumel asked us before hand if we wanted to be videoed...I said no and never saw her on the dive, I guess she just focused on the money folks. Fine with me.