PDA

View Full Version : Why Dive Nitrox?

easyrider003
03-05-2008, 08:00
I was just wondering if you could tell me why someone should be diving Nitrox? I was thinking of taking the class and just wondering if it was worth it? I am only open water certified

Dive-aholic
03-05-2008, 08:41
Nitrox extends your NDLs and/or shortens your surface intervals. It is worth it if you do several dives a day over an extended period like on a liveaboard or if you are having to surface due to NDL but still have sufficient air in your tank to safely stay submerged. I dive it almost exclusively, but most of my dives are in the 95' depth range and last over an hour so diving Nitrox shortens my deco obligation.

MSilvia
03-05-2008, 08:45
Dive-aholic gave you a good answer.

No Misses
03-05-2008, 08:46
EANx is great to have when doing multiple dives per day. It lowers the amount of nitrogen that is absorbed by your body, compared to diving air. This gives you the option of doing shorter surface intervals, compared to air. As a result I have been able to do as many as 6 dives per day in 60-70 fsw on EAN32 without reaching the red zone in regards to nitrogen loading. After 4 days of this heavy of a schedule you will see that your 24hr O2 exposure is creeping up.

There will be people who will argue about this one… I feel less fatigue at the end of the day when diving EANx instead of air. YMMV

I am lucky enough to be able to get nitrox / EANx for .07 per cubic foot. This comes out to $5.60 for an AL80. I have not dove air in years J

CLaFong
03-05-2008, 09:00
A dive instructor at my local LDS uses it as an extra level of safety. He's in his 60's and told me he leaves his computer on air, for the extra margin of safety.

I'm thinking of taking the course myself for the same reason, sounds good to me

Grin
03-05-2008, 09:26
I was just wondering if you could tell me why someone should be diving Nitrox? I was thinking of taking the class and just wondering if it was worth it? I am only open water certified

A quick look at Air dive tables vs 36 NITROX dive tables says it all.
From what I am reading off the tables here real quick-like:
You could do a dive to 70ft for 60 minutes(and 10 minutes away from deco) on the Nitrox 36 and come up a S pressure group and be as good as doing the same dive for 38 minutes on air. Same "S" pressure group(but 2 minutes away from deco) when you surface. Now if you want to do another dive the benfits of Nitrox really start to show up. After a 30 minute surface interval you could do a max 14 minute dive on air to 70 ft. Where as after a 30 min surface interval you could do a 37 minute dive on the 36 to the same 70 ft. Just imagine the safety margin if you are not maxing NDL bottom times on Nitrox. On air you will likely be pushing the limits on every dive using AL 80s. With Nitrox you can dive 120s and easily not push the limits all the while having longer bottom times.
So you can look at it two ways:
1. Your pushing the limits on air whereas, the same dive times on Nitrox are not anywhere close to the No deco limits.
2. You can have much longer bottom times(if you have tanks big enough to support them), diving Nitrox with the same level of safety as a much shorter dive on air.

So it depends on if you are Ok with possibly maxing bottom times and tables limits routinly. I think Nitrox is a major benefit to virtually any diver. There are probably a few exceptions where people are diving real shallow or real deep.

easyrider003
03-05-2008, 09:31
Thanks for all the info guys. My LDS offers the Nitrox course for I think $150. They said you have one day of class work and then have to do 2 dives and then your finished. Sounds like something I should be looking into

doczerothree
03-05-2008, 10:00

DiveAholic is right on time. very sound imformation.:smiley20: Hope you enjoy the class

RoyN
03-05-2008, 14:10
I use it always to work on taking hundreds of underwater photos.

marchand
03-05-2008, 14:28
Thanks for all the info guys. My LDS offers the Nitrox course for I think $150. They said you have one day of class work and then have to do 2 dives and then your finished. Sounds like something I should be looking into

What organization are you taking the class with? I know with NAUI the dives are not required to get the nitrox card, you only need to do them to get the nitrox "diver" card which is pretty meaningless in my opinion.

Charles R
03-05-2008, 14:31
I moved this thread to the general Scuba traing section hopefully you will get more infor here. I also agree with Dive-Aholic

UCFKnightDiver
03-05-2008, 14:34
when I took it, it also helped me to better understand some of the theory behind diving great class imho.

yeah naui nitrox doesnt require any dives and the class I think was 60 dollars for me to be honest im not sure what you would learn if anything from doing a dive on it...

texdiveguy
03-05-2008, 14:48
A LDS in our area which is PADI charges $99 for the course (approx. 4 hours) with no actual dives required.

easyrider003
03-05-2008, 14:59
when I took it, it also helped me to better understand some of the theory behind diving great class imho.

yeah naui nitrox doesnt require any dives and the class I think was 60 dollars for me to be honest im not sure what you would learn if anything from doing a dive on it...

I was wondering why you would be required to do 2 dives. I agree that there doesnt seem to be anything to learn from actually doing the dives. I am SSI certified, would it be a problem to get another organization to do my Nitrox, or should I stick with SSI?

texdiveguy
03-05-2008, 15:03

I was wondering why you would be required to do 2 dives. I agree that there doesnt seem to be anything to learn from actually doing the dives. I am SSI certified, would it be a problem to get another organization to do my Nitrox, or should I stick with SSI?

You can use which ever agency you wish too,,,,if you are comfy with your SSI shop/instructor then stick there....but if you find another agencies instructor you like then its cool. Many of us have multiple agency training.

SkuaSeptember
03-05-2008, 15:04

The agency should not matter. PADI for instance only requires that you be a certified OW diver or higher.

Scoobidoo
03-05-2008, 15:12
Guess it's always a good idea to do your first dive of anything with an experienced instructor. And no, it won't be a problem. I got my OW from SSI and my nitrox from PADI, they'll always be happy to take your money.

UCFKnightDiver
03-05-2008, 16:01
yep I am naui ow and nitrox, and am getting padi aow because I found an instructor who I think will be a really good mentor, doesnt matter which agency untill you get into much higher level classes and then the differences usually are not huge

Judge
03-05-2008, 23:48
Just did the Nitrox last week (SSI at my LDS). 90 plus the book/study guide/tables. About 5 hrs (I worked mids the night before and was a little slow on the draw).

cummings66
03-06-2008, 12:48
Dives are optional but many dive shops believe it's important and do them regardless. I look at it as two dives that I wouldn't have got in otherwise, and they included it in the course so it's no big deal.

Dalton's law, pretty neat law that you'll learn about soon enough. Remember it, it will come in handy later on for other courses.

malley1717
03-24-2008, 20:17
my lds wants 135 for the couse and 75 for the books for the PADI couse. Is this a rip off?

UCFKnightDiver
03-24-2008, 21:18
umm with naui there are no dives required I paid 75 for my course so
I would say yes

jtkkym
03-24-2008, 21:56
It is well worth getting Nitrox.

navyhmc
03-24-2008, 22:23
My course was $154 no dives: PADI course.

Keep in mind, the cost is location dependant. $99 for the course and $56 for books and DVD.

Worth it IMO

Don Wray
03-24-2008, 23:43
The thing to remember here is: the agency does not set the course price, the instructor does. In that vein, do you want to work for nothing? The agency sets the price for the materials and the cert. These are marked up by the Instructor, who is WORKING! If you own a hardware store, are you going to give the bolts and screws for what you paid? No one will stay in business long giving things at cost. To answer your question, if you ever plan on doing multiple dives in a day, yes, nitrox is worth it.

RonFrank
03-24-2008, 23:59
The thing to remember here is: the agency does not set the course price, the instructor does. In that vein, do you want to work for nothing? The agency sets the price for the materials and the cert. These are marked up by the Instructor, who is WORKING! If you own a hardware store, are you going to give the bolts and screws for what you paid? No one will stay in business long giving things at cost. To answer your question, if you ever plan on doing multiple dives in a day, yes, nitrox is worth it.

It is rather difficult to determine if Don was 1) On Drugs, 2) Not on Drugs, 3) On Drugs! 4) Working for Ace Hardware

Instructors have little to do with the price of diving or classes... maybe with some exceptions like SSI.

Take a Nitrox class ONLY if you want to do so! :smiley20:

emalebiga
03-25-2008, 00:05

I am SSI nitrox certified, and I was not required to do any open water dives. The class was 70 the c-card process was 25.

As for the books coasting 75 bucks that is crazy. But the price of the class should depended on how much the instructor goes beyond the information in the curriculum of what ever certification agency they are going through. The core class really doesn't provide that more information then you already learned in your ow class, and what you learned in chemistry class/backyard.

High partial pressure and/or long duration exposure to oxygen can kill, and Oxygen promotes rapid combustion.

emalebiga
03-25-2008, 00:09

It is rather difficult to determine if Don was 1) On Drugs, 2) Not on Drugs, 3) On Drugs! 4) Working for Ace Hardware

Instructors have little to do with the price of diving or classes... maybe with some exceptions like SSI.

Take a Nitrox class ONLY if you want to do so! :smiley20:

don't choices 1,3,4 all go together??? Or maybe it is a progression... first on drugs, then working for Ace hardware, then On DRUGS!!. But I hope everyone remembers that Ace is the Place

Splitlip
03-25-2008, 19:31
Information on Scuba Diving and Scuba Diving Instruction with Nitrox (http://www.thescubaclub.com/nitr.html)

ScubaJoe
05-14-2008, 01:38
Longer bottom times at medium to shallow depths.

Less problems with nitrogen build up

But, mostly for bottom time... (grin)

Geoff_T
05-14-2008, 04:00
Why dive nitrox two words bottem time. Is the course worth it Yes though I am not currently nitrox certified I took the padi course before they got rid of the dives. Was never able to complet dives due to unforseen issues but I am planning to take it again soon. You will get a lot from learning how to safely dive nitrox. And there is some additional safty stuff that it is realy better to buck up and pay for.

ratown
05-14-2008, 07:53
How do people feel about the SDI Nitrox Computer course online? Is this sufficient to dive safely with nitrox?

Dive-aholic
05-14-2008, 13:02
I'm not familiar with the SDI course, but you need some hands on with an analyzer. You can't get that online.

ratown
05-14-2008, 13:30
After you finish the online course, you meet up with an instructor to get a practical session teaching you how to use the analyzer.

SDI-Training (http://www.sdi-onlinetraining.net/courses.cfm?callname=course_detail&course=14&frame=false)

You are taught in a way that you rely on a computer though. I was wondering if people were against this or not...

coral cowgirl
05-14-2008, 16:50
I got my Nitrox certification on a liveaboard for the same price I would have had to drive 1 1/2 hours to get at home..................then also got ocean checkouts and a good break on nitrox for the rest of the week.

CompuDude
05-14-2008, 19:12
After you finish the online course, you meet up with an instructor to get a practical session teaching you how to use the analyzer.

SDI-Training (http://www.sdi-onlinetraining.net/courses.cfm?callname=course_detail&course=14&frame=false)

You are taught in a way that you rely on a computer though. I was wondering if people were against this or not...

I'm not a fan of SDI's over-emphasis on the computer, but it's not surprising in today's recreational diving climate.

I'm sure the course will get the job done, but if you ever want to go further you'll need some serious remedial education.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
05-15-2008, 18:31
The SDI course FWIU seems like teaching kids to use a calculator without teaching them to add and subtract. Not a very good idea IMHO.

Dive-aholic
05-16-2008, 05:10

So what do you do if your computer malfunctions? How do you keep diving on that particular dive trip? You can't just get another computer because that wouldn't take into account the diving you did before that. There's too much over reliance on computers these days. Divers need to know what the safe limits are and use the computer as a back up.

cummings66
05-16-2008, 06:53
I think that with the reliability of computers today that a person could do the course this way without fear, however I still believe a diver should know and understand the tables so that "if" the computer malfunctions and gives them more time than it should they know it's wrong.

Dive-aholic
05-16-2008, 16:24
I had a computer fail on me a couple of months ago. It was simply a low battery, but the low battery indicator didn't light up. So for 2 dives I went off a depth gauge and watch only.