PDA

View Full Version : Cruise and Diving

lovesmexico615
03-05-2008, 14:11
I was planning on doing the Cruise's 2 tank dive while in Grand Cayman, but have found that it is sold out. Does anyone have any dive op's in Grand Cayman that they loved and can recommend? I'll be looking for an AM 2 tank dive... tendering in GC at 7AM, leaving by 3:30/4PM.

TIA!
Amanda

Jay_SMART_Diver
03-05-2008, 14:31
I'm headed there on a cruise in October and after doing some research on the boards I think I'm gonna go with Neptune's (http://www.neptunesdivers.com/)or Ambassador (http://www.ambassadordivers.com/).

CaptainRon
03-05-2008, 14:48
I have done shore dives with Eden Rock Divers. Within walking distance of the tender pier. I know they offer 2 tank boat dives also.

lovesmexico615
03-05-2008, 14:59
Thanks Guys! I'll check them out. I looked at an Op called Diver Down too- they seem to have "cruise ship deals"

-Amanda

zippybossrock
03-05-2008, 16:56
When will you be cruising? We're going to be going to GC as well along with Cozumel & Ocho Rios.......always looking for a dive buddy. I have a guided dive set up with Eden Rock Dive Center in GC and have a private charter set up for Coz.....we still have room on it. Let me know if you're interested. We'll be in Coz on May 5th and GC on May 7th.

lovesmexico615
03-05-2008, 17:53
Unfortunately (well...) I leave in a week :smiley20:. Maybe I'll have to set up another cruise to jump on your charter in Coz! I'm headed to Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan and Coz, but diving in Playa del Carmen. I'm bummed that I won't get to dive in Belize or Roatan (cruising with someone who doesn't dive... yet)- we'll be doing cave tubing and zip lines in Belize.

brianhmd
03-05-2008, 19:05
We dove with divers down in May last year had about 15 dives with them. Great group of guysa most of them very laid back. Eight divers max in a boat. We were shore based. I'm not completely sure how it works but they do have several vans and do seem to remember that one boat went out with some cruise ship divers. First dive on the wall guided, extra bottom time if you had a comp. Second dive dive your own profile with a general time limit to get back on board. Last year they did not pump their own nitrox so it coyuld be hit or miss if you want it.

lovesmexico615
03-06-2008, 12:41
We dove with divers down in May last year had about 15 dives with them. Great group of guysa most of them very laid back. Eight divers max in a boat. We were shore based. I'm not completely sure how it works but they do have several vans and do seem to remember that one boat went out with some cruise ship divers. First dive on the wall guided, extra bottom time if you had a comp. Second dive dive your own profile with a general time limit to get back on board. Last year they did not pump their own nitrox so it coyuld be hit or miss if you want it.

So you liked them? I haven't really heard anything about any of the ops on Grand Cayman, so I have nothing to base my decision on other than the websites...

EuphoriaII
03-06-2008, 13:39
I always use Neptune divers. Keith and Casey have always been great about working around the cruise ship schedule and give goo instructions on how to meet up with the boat.

Also, there is a great shore dive with there where the ships tender in on the south side of the bay. You could walk to one of the dive shops there and hit the water out there back door. I think Eden Rock is one of them right there.

lovesmexico615
03-06-2008, 14:45
Thanks!

The Ops I keep hearing come up are Neptune, Ambassador, Off The Wall and Wall to Wall. Anyone else have experience that they can share? I hate booking with someplace that I only have a website to go off of...

brianhmd
03-06-2008, 18:05
Yes I really liked them and will use them again when I get back to Grand Cayman. They have vans to pick up up and take you to the boats. The DMs are all great we really liked Matty he's quite a riot. They also have muliple location along the island. One is just off the Cruise ship dock (well maybe a couple of blocks away). Only one smallish boat and that's the Cayman Diver II. All the others pictured are large and still only eight divers on a boat. Lots of room during the surface intervals. Run boats to both the north and west walls depending on the weather. The west goes right off seven mile beach. The north requires transport to the marina.

johnyringo
03-06-2008, 21:18
Divers Down is a good choice. You can also call them and reserve a spot on the boat. They'll work with the ships schedule. You should be able to do 2 tanks.

Diver Kat
03-06-2008, 22:24
Last few cruises we grabbed a van-bus from the square and went up to Dive Tech - next door to the Turtle Farm. Rented a couple of tanks and did shore diving. Pretty much had the reef to ourselves and got to dive at our leisure.

lovesmexico615
03-07-2008, 10:50
Thanks Guys! I don't know what I'd do without this forum!!:smiley20:

CaptainRon
03-07-2008, 23:40
Last few cruises we grabbed a van-bus from the square and went up to Dive Tech - next door to the Turtle Farm. Rented a couple of tanks and did shore diving. Pretty much had the reef to ourselves and got to dive at our leisure.

How was the shore diving there? I've only done shore diving at Eden Rock and it is pretty worn out. I would be interested in trying something different next time I'm there.

imfreeagle
03-08-2008, 00:44
Dove with Divers Down on Feb 19 while on a cruise. They did a great job. The dive master took us to see a hammerhead that he saw the day before, we did catch a glimps of it down below us. It was at Princess Penny's Penicle.

brianhmd
03-09-2008, 18:27
Great that you got to see the hammerhead. We kept hoping to catch a glimpse last year but no such luck. I kept loking down off the wall. Our DM did tells that one moring they had two of them at stingray city and noe of the snorklers wanted to get in the water.

lovesmexico615
03-09-2008, 20:06
Oh, I want to see a hammerhead!! I booked with Divers Down, and can't wait to get down there now!

Diver Kat
03-09-2008, 22:08

How was the shore diving there? I've only done shore diving at Eden Rock and it is pretty worn out. I would be interested in trying something different next time I'm there.
Well it looks like they've moved from the old shop down the road a bit ... and sounds like they have even better shore diving. I'm guessing since it's on the same road, you can still grab a bus to get there ..... here's a link to their info page ....

Grand Cayman scuba diving cayman island scuba diving cayman island scuba resort cayman scuba training cayman cayman island scuba grand cayman scuba dive cayman islands scuba diving scuba diving in grand cayman scuba diving cayman scuba diving on gran (http://www.divetech.com/shore.htm)

lovesmexico615
03-10-2008, 11:06
Hey, Kat- I just noticed your sig- looks like I'll be just missing you in Coz, I get there the 21st. Too bad, I would have loved to meet a fellow diver!

mselizann
04-15-2008, 10:41
I would highly, highly suggest Don Fosters- very close to where the cruise ships dock, and they will come pick you up. I found them to be fun and the most affordable on the island