PDA

View Full Version : My intro and story

mkenyon2
07-31-2007, 08:00
First, let me say, hello from PA.

Growing up, my uncle dove, buying his own equipment, making his own weights, spear fishing for Bluefish off the CT/RI coasts. I was always facinated by the sport, especially when he went to the Great Barrier Reef and brought back pictures.

As a teen, a friend let me use their equipment (mask, tank, regulator, and fins) in their pool. (Maybe not the best idea, but it was only his in-ground pool.) Even though there wasn't much to see, I loved the feel of being in the water.

I've had several friends that loved diving, but have never been able to afford to get into the sport. The price always seemed daunting. Even if I could, I wouldn't have time to go more than once or twice a year. And knowing I'd have to have some equipment registered yearly seemed like a problem. But then again, I don't know that I'd like to 'borrow/rent' equipment.

What could somebody like me do to get into the sport in an inexpensive way? Some friends have suggested snorkeling, and I have a mask and snorkel. (Fins coming soon...) But I know it will only feed my desire to see and do more.

tx.lakerat
07-31-2007, 09:01
welcome to the board!

Moxie
07-31-2007, 09:21
Hi MKenyon2. I understand about not wanting to rent, but if you're only diving a couple of times a year, it just might make sense. Another great alternative is to check out the Used Stuff For Sale forum here at ScubaToys. http://forum.scubatoys.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Foo2
07-31-2007, 17:53
Hey MKenyon2! I too love to dive but can't afford to purchase all of my gear at once. I recommend starting small. Find some good used gear at a decent price and work your way up. My next purchase will hopefully be a reg. I've gotta save up some pennies!

BSea
07-31-2007, 18:01
I started diving when I was in college, and had to buy my gear on lay-away. (Does anybody do that anymore? Guess I'm dating myself) Anyway, I just bought a little at a time. I didn't really expand my gear till I was out of school for a few years. Then I slowly bought piece by piece till I had a complete set. You don't need top of the line right out of the gate, and buying used is a great way to get started.

I ate nemo
12-21-2007, 14:21
im 14 so expensive stuff is out of the picture but i like to buy the small not so expensive stuff. my uncle gave me his ocianic reg set so now all i need is a bc. but for equipment i would look in the used for sell forums.

cgvmer
12-21-2007, 14:38
I suggest keeping an eye ebay there is alot of equipment available. BUYER beware of course....

Goober
12-21-2007, 14:38
Welcome to the board. And a healthy addiction.

Matt P
12-21-2007, 18:02
Hey, welcome aboard! Also from PA...

Just put it on a credit card. It's the American way! Just kidding...save up then dive in. You'll never look back

CaptainRon
12-22-2007, 22:12
My 13 yo just bought the package Scuba Toys has for $365 (even cheaper when you add in the 10% discount). It's nothing fancy, but she is having a blast diving with her "own" gear. I did finance it for her and she is paying me back with money she earns from different odd jobs and birthday gift money. As a hobby, the sky is the limit on what you can spend, but it really doesn't have to be anymore expensive than some of the new video game consoles or a new TV.

RoadRacer1978
12-22-2007, 22:23
Welcome to the board. Start small and keep expanding over time. Try to save up an buy one peice of gear a year, or save up and buy a package deal. As others have stated you don't have to go out and buy top of the line. If you are only planning on diving a couple times a year though, your money might be better spend on gettin certified and taking additional classes to become a better diver. It is hard to justify a large expense for something you may only use a couple times a year, on he flip side though if you had all your own gear you might get to dive more. I got certified when I was 16 years old. I slowly aquired my gear by saving up for it and getting a peice or two as Christmas presents. I spent several years not diving because I didn't have everything I needed. Now that I have my ful kit I dive as often as I can and logged about 3 times more dives in one month than I did in thirteen years. If this is something you really want to do, I say save up and go for it. I don't think you will ever regret it if you truly love diving.