PDA

View Full Version : PPB with rental BC?

ParrotHead
07-31-2007, 08:22
Ok - I am definitely going to take Peak Performance Buoyancy (PPB), alas I don't own a BC yet. Would I get more out of the class if I had my own BC or would/should I defer the class until I get my own?

I have heard that the lessons and exercises I will learn can be applied to any gear config. So my thought is to take the class and continue to try other BC configs until I find the one I like the best.

My LDS usually rents jacket style, but the owner loaned me HIS Knighthawk last time I was in. I liked it it from a buoyancy perspective, and that I wasn't being swaddled, but missed the creature comforts of more storage.

Zenagirl
07-31-2007, 08:30
I think you'd get maximum benefits from a PPB class if you were diving your own gear. However, you're right, there's no reason you can't take what you learn and apply it to your own gear later.

There's a funny thing about "storage" in BCs. My husband always used to talk about how much he loved the huge pockets in his Seaquest BC. However, as time went on he found himself putting less and less stuff in the pockets, and even lost a couple of little things last time around because they simply fell out. He's since sold that BC and bought a Zeagle Ranger LTD with smaller pockets, but more than adequate for what he needs.

Vercingetorix
07-31-2007, 10:48
Several of us on this board took PPB and consider it a waste of time and money. Our class consisted of two dives of 20 minutes each and basically just hovering, jumping through hoops (OK...gliding), and lifting objects.

That said, another poster (Medic001918) here said his PPB cost $450 and was very demanding. That's the one I want. Otherwise save your money and use it for AOW or Rescue Diver, which I highly recommend.

medic001918
07-31-2007, 11:43
I would think you'd get the most benefit from having your own gear. The program here consists of bouyancy and trim. They work with you, using your own gear to ensure that it improves your diving. It seems the the course in my area is less than the norm though. One shop actually requires the bouyancy course before going on to anything else after your OW course. But they also require you to be in a BP/W. They won't teach it to those in a jacket style BC. The program is six sessions long with the first being a classroom session to get your rig adjusted properly. The rest are in the pool and they are videotaped so you can review your progress from the beginning of the class to the end of the class. The shop actually has two parts to PPB, at $225 per person per part. So the full thing is really $450 per person.

Shane

cummings66
08-01-2007, 20:17
To be honest the course sounds fine, but to require it before you could do any other courses sounds too demanding. To require a BP/W is also silly. Keep in mind I'm a rabid fan of them and will never dive a traditional BC again, I think to require a BP/W for the course is silly because what they're telling you is first, spend $400 to $500 on gear to take a $450 course to take a $100 Nitrox course. I'd puke. That means to take a no dive Nitrox course will cost you $1000, that's so far out of anything reasonable I can only conclude they're out for money, unless they're GUE based in which case I understand.

I will be willing to bet you I could dive any BC out there given a suitable time to figure out the trim as well as I can my BP/W. It's easier to get good trim in a BP/W IMO, but you can also do it in the traditional jacket style BC, I know I did.

I do like the time they spend with you however. I would rather take my $450 and put it towards DIR-F which is pretty similar to what was described but includes more stuff.

medic001918
08-01-2007, 21:25
I don't disagree with you. Actually, the nitrox course is one that you can take w/o having to take the PPB course.

The shop is actually the only shop in Connecticut that teaches the DIR-F class. Their instruction is good, but they do push the DIR concept a little too hard. They've lost some business because of it.

Shane

Dive-aholic
08-03-2007, 02:12
A good PPB course will teach you good buoyancy skills no matter what you're wearing. You won't have perfect buoyancy at the end of the class. What you should have is a good foundation to keep improving your buoyancy. It will teach you about weighting, breath control, finning, etc.

BTW, a 2 x 20 minute course is a rip off. You should be doing the majority of your dive in 20' of water, fresh is preferable. And you should be spending close to an hour during each dive.