PDA

View Full Version : What's your essential dive gear for ocean dives?

tbg0519
03-06-2008, 08:56
I'm a recreational diver with a few ocean, mostly quarry dives in the book. I've been lucky so far but don't want to push my luck. What items should every diver have with them on every dive (other than the obvious, BC, Reg, Tank, buddy, stopwatch, wetsuit, etc). My list so far is:
Dive Knife
Safety Sausage
Finger Reel
Slate

Any other suggestions?

Chad
03-06-2008, 09:04
Good list. You may want to add a whistle and/or mirror. Also a backup light is not a bad idea.

dallasdivergirl
03-06-2008, 09:41
you might add emt shears as well.

MSilvia
03-06-2008, 11:54
A compass is a good idea too.

NitroWill
03-06-2008, 12:06
Other then what's been mentioned - it's quite important to be sure to have all your gear as well as a complete save-a-dive kit - if something goes wrong several miles out on a boat - you can't exactly walk back to the car to get a replacement or fix the broken gear :)

unclepooty
03-06-2008, 12:20
whistle/mirror

CompuDude
03-06-2008, 12:58
I'm a recreational diver with a few ocean, mostly quarry dives in the book. I've been lucky so far but don't want to push my luck. What items should every diver have with them on every dive (other than the obvious, BC, Reg, Tank, buddy, stopwatch, wetsuit, etc). My list so far is:
Dive Knife
Safety Sausage
Finger Reel
Slate

Any other suggestions?

Definitely a compass. The ocean's a lot bigger than a quarry, and getting lost is a bigger concern. The whistle/mirror is also not a bad idea.

This stuff does somewhat depend on the dive site, of course... some have more obvious navigational clues than others, and in some sites the extra emergency gear is more overkill than in others.

I don't see how a slate is essential gear in the ocean, but not in a quarry. If you're the type to bring it with you in a quarry, probably good to bring it in the ocean, also. But if you don't normally bring one, I see no special conditions that the ocean adds to diving that mandate a slate.

I carry wetnotes in a pocket, but only pull them out on extremely rare occasions. OTOH, I know people that use them on every dive. *shrug*

tbg0519
03-07-2008, 10:22
Slate and dive knife are part of my 'etc'. compass is on my reg/spg. I will look into emt shears and a whistle & mirror.

Dive Rong
03-07-2008, 13:49
If you are going to be doing nite dives, you may wish to purchase a White or Blue Glo-Toob FX. Especially if you decide to go out on a liveaboard.

SkuaSeptember
03-07-2008, 14:00
Dive flag if you are shore diving. Pony bottle if doing a deep dive.

abcitydiver
03-10-2008, 02:36
dive alert.