PDA

View Full Version : Once again, another mighty predator falls...

moosicman
03-06-2008, 11:42
FOXNews.com - Florida Fisherman Nails Himself Enormous, 1,000-Pound Hammerhead - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,335510,00.html)

Very sad, even though I know some will disagree.:smiley13::smiley5:

mike_s
03-06-2008, 11:58
not sure why this is so terrible.... it's not like he caught it, cut its fin off and threw it back in...

He was just fishing... what did he do that was so wrong?

Is it that he was fishing that is wrong? or the fact that he caught a shark that was wrong? or the fact that he caught a HUGE shark wrong? just curious....

The guy says he never intended to kill the shark but just wanted to get its picture (after he hooked it), but it died. Looks like from the article he even donated the organs to a science facility for research.

I mean no one seems to get upset when someone catches a giant Tuna and cuts it up for sushi.

Just a different point of view...

Osprey
03-06-2008, 12:11
I don't think you should catch anything unless you're going to eat it

But by and large that seems to be just me

moosicman
03-06-2008, 12:14
It is sad to see a beautiful, big fish like this fall. Not terrible, just sad. Bret Farve retired today. A football great. It was sad, not terrible. See what I'm saying? I would have preferred this 13 foot, 1000 pound Hammerhead continue to grow and swim and make little sharks (as they are being depleted).

newways
03-06-2008, 21:23
I'm sure the guy doesn't exactly feel that great about it. Such is life...It is what it is...you know the routine...blah blah blah

obrules15
03-07-2008, 08:07
The biggest problem is that at the rate we are killing sharks there will be none to look at in a few years. If you talk to the divers going to the traditional places to see schooling hammerheads they are decreasing in numbers. So we keep doing things like that (killing hammerheads) there will be none left to see on our dives.

RoyN
03-07-2008, 08:55
They're about to go on the endangered list pretty soon. :(

DZorn00
03-08-2008, 07:46
should have just taken a picture in the water unhooked him and let him go. That would have been the best thing to do it. Now if the shark died on the way up or in the fight he did the right thing by donating its parts.

jeepbrew
03-08-2008, 08:07
FYI, the OP never said the fisherman did anything "Wrong". All he said is that this is very sad, which IMHO, it is. It is sad to see something that has survived this long die... it is always sad for me to see sharks die, no matter what species they are.

moosicman
03-08-2008, 09:08
thank you JeepBrew!

ianr33
03-08-2008, 09:35

The guy says he never intended to kill the shark but just wanted to get its picture (after he hooked it), but it died. Looks like from the article he even donated the organs to a science facility for research.

I mean no one seems to get upset when someone catches a giant Tuna and cuts it up for sushi.

My opinions:

A magnificent animal died for the sake of a photograph and a mans ego.

Donating the organs does not mean much,might as well do something with them once the photos are finished with. At least it was not called Shark Fishing for scientific purposes !

Different with Tuna.We eat them.

Whats the difference between the needless death of a Shark or a Siberian Tiger?

jeepbrew
03-08-2008, 09:43
thank you JeepBrew!

No problem.

BuzzF117
03-08-2008, 09:53
There was a time when I thought it would be cool to fish for large sharks...Then I got this thing called a PADI AOW certification and was in St Thomas and saw my first shark outside of a fishhook or an aquarium. It was Feb 29 2007 and it was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. The shark was gliding effortlessly about 70 ft away just a Grey silhouette stalking us it was AWESOME.

moosicman
03-08-2008, 10:49
what kind buzz?? and thanks for that story.....i cannot WAIT until i see my first shark

cgvmer
03-08-2008, 12:21
Hey Buzz your right it was awesome: On a trip to the Bahamas with my 2 sons we felt like we were being stalked by a pair.

As for "SPORT" fishing....if your not going to eat the catch, stop catching them!

Splitlip
03-08-2008, 14:41
My 16 year old buddy was certified last May. He is a surfer. He was nipped by a shark surfing near the Sebastian inlet. An exploratory bite can be pretty bad and he had to get a lot of stitches and treament.
By his 4th open water dive he had seen plenty of Nurse sharks, but I wondered how he would react when he saw his first real shark.
I was with him on his 5th dive on the Juno ledge. I told him he would likely see a shark.
We were drifting on the top of the ledge when he slid over the ledge out of my sight. As I finned over to him, a huge beast of Reef shark came cruising along right at drop off. I could see the guy's bubbles on the other side of the shark, but I could not see him and I had an OH **** moment figuring he might freak.
Well, rather, the guy popped up from behind the ledge with his head cocked to one side flashing double ok signs. He kind of was flying along on the other side of the shark in this superman pose.
Magnificent animals. One can't help but be excited seeing one, even if the first contact was a bite on the calf.:)

moosicman
03-08-2008, 21:08
My 16 year old buddy was certified last May. He is a surfer. He was nipped by a shark surfing near the Sebastian inlet. An exploratory bite can be pretty bad and he had to get a lot of stitches and treament.
By his 4th open water dive he had seen plenty of Nurse sharks, but I wondered how he would react when he saw his first real shark.
I was with him on his 5th dive on the Juno ledge. I told him he would likely see a shark.
We were drifting on the top of the ledge when he slid over the ledge out of my sight. As I finned over to him, a huge beast of Reef shark came cruising along right at drop off. I could see the guy's bubbles on the other side of the shark, but I could not see him and I had an OH **** moment figuring he might freak.
Well, rather, the guy popped up from behind the ledge with his head cocked to one side flashing double ok signs. He kind of was flying along on the other side of the shark in this superman pose.
Magnificent animals. One can't help but be excited seeing one, even if the first contact was a bite on the calf.:)

NICE. You know, I have a confession to make that will make me sound NUTS. It isn't entirely serious, of course. Just sort of day dream, fantasy, imagination kinda stuff. I have thought that (if i knew it wouldn't mean any "real" long term damage and was somewhat superficial) it would be kinda like a cool war wound to get nipped by a shark. Then I would have my battle scars and join the rather interesting clan of those who can say they were the victim of a shark attack. You know, get my name on the GSAF. Of course, this is TOTALLY irrational, and I know that, so don't anyone go thinking that I've got some sort of death wish.....LOL...just a thought in the back of my head.....:smiley29::bonk:

johnyringo
03-09-2008, 10:20

My opinions:

A magnificent animal died for the sake of a photograph and a mans ego.

Donating the organs does not mean much,might as well do something with them once the photos are finished with. At least it was not called Shark Fishing for scientific purposes !

Different with Tuna.We eat them.

Whats the difference between the needless death of a Shark or a Siberian Tiger?

Couldn't have said it better myself.