PDA

View Full Version : What have YOU found while diving?

thecheeseman
03-07-2008, 17:27
I know ScubaBoard has a great topic going on about this, so let's start one here at ST! (I searched and didn't see anything)

Me? Lots of trash, nothing good. I found a full snorkel set, 500 feet off the shore of Maui though. (snorkeling, long story there) Scary. In monteray, I found a HUGEEEE piece of cardboard. Like, the size of a SUV. I couldn't take it because it had lots of marine life though. Crazy!!!

Foo2
03-07-2008, 17:30
My prized find is a 1/2c. diamond in the YMCA pool! :)

FishFood
03-07-2008, 17:56
A beach chair, several snorkels and several masks, and about one thousand pairs of sunglass, beer cans, and fishin hooks. :(

Foo#2, we need the full story i think!

boat
03-07-2008, 18:02
Downrigger weight that the boat Captain though I should have brought up but I thought was too heavy to drag around. (But then - I didn't think about how much it was worth.)

fisheater
03-07-2008, 18:06
On my last OW checkout dive, I retrieved someone's loaded weight pouch just beyond the breakers at The Breakwater in Monterey, CA.

Ryanh1801
03-07-2008, 18:39
Found my first item last weekend. Found one of our guys mask, that he lost while getting rescued. I guess those search patterns they taught us really do work:smiley36:

Kokomo
03-07-2008, 19:16
Husband found a snorkel in Key Largo. We also found about 30 pounds in weights in Bonaire.

DevilDiver
03-07-2008, 20:07
Found the keys to a ford (new and shiney) on a shore dive on Maui, Hawaii. Walked the beach asking if anyone had lost some keys and ended up leaving them on the table at the restrooms by the parking lot........

Did not see anyone standing around a Ford looking like they had lost keys..........

mark44883
03-07-2008, 20:30
found a ford pick up some dumped in a corry turn out it was stolen .

newways
03-07-2008, 20:49
This is my most interesting find. I left it because it has become part of the surroundings and there wasn't a pair to it. Had they both been there I may have checked them out further...

Diver Kat
03-07-2008, 23:48
At the lake clean-up a few years back someone in our group came up with a vacuumed sealed full brisket ... we did NOT eat it for lunch! :smiley2:

Splitlip
03-08-2008, 05:00
Doxa dive watch
Beefstick (fishing pole) with an Abu Garcia bait reel
Sea-doo scooter
Gold card
Assorted knives and weight pockets

9 miles off Grand Bahama found an anchor which turned out to be one we lost earlier in the week

Charles R
03-08-2008, 07:10
Several pairs of sunglasses 2 watches and 3 dive knife's one was mine that I lost on an earlier dive :smiley20:

jeepbrew
03-08-2008, 10:11
I have found a ton of stuff under water... I am sure I will leave quite a bit off the list, but here I go:

Cannon Balls
Musket
Railroad Stakes
Anchor (for a barge - this thing is 7 feet tall!)
Railroad Car (upside down in the TN river)
Old Coke Bottles
Arrow Heads
10,000+ Shark's teeth (400+ Megs)
Shorkels, masks, & a fin
Fossilized Clams
Alligator Teeth
Sting Ray Barbs
Puffer Fish Plates
Barracuda Tooth
Drum Fish Teeth
Shark Vertebra
Whale Tympanic Bulla (Inner Ear bone)
Horse Teeth
Mastadon Tooth
Hand Grenade
50 Caliber Bullets

In case you can't tell, I enjoy blackwater diving and I love diving for fossils/teeth!

DRNightdiver
03-08-2008, 10:29
I have found a ton of stuff under water... I am sure I will leave quite a bit off the list, but here I go:

Cannon Balls
Musket
Railroad Stakes
Anchor (for a barge - this thing is 7 feet tall!)
Railroad Car (upside down in the TN river)
Old Coke Bottles
Arrow Heads
10,000+ Shark's teeth (400+ Megs)
Shorkels, masks, & a fin
Fossilized Clams
Alligator Teeth
Sting Ray Barbs
Puffer Fish Plates
Barracuda Tooth
Drum Fish Teeth
Shark Vertebra
Whale Tympanic Bulla (Inner Ear bone)
Horse Teeth
Mastadon Tooth
Hand Grenade
50 Caliber Bullets

In case you can't tell, I enjoy blackwater diving and I love diving for fossils/teeth!

All pretty cool stuff to find. The gator teeth caught my eye. Isn't this true, "Where there are alligator teeth there are alligators." ?Does that mean you are diving with gators?:smiley5:

jeepbrew
03-08-2008, 12:22
I have found a ton The gator teeth caught my eye. Isn't this true, "Where there are alligator teeth there are alligators." ?Does that mean you are diving with gators?:smiley5:

Not necessarily true. Just b/c I find Meg teeth doesn't mean I dive with the Megalodon! :smiley2: But, I have been diving with gators in the Cooper River (SC). Just so you know, I have found gator teeth in the Gulf of Mexico & the Cooper.

I guess I could add to my list - I have found a TON of manatee bones. But, I guess anyone who has been diving south of Crystal River, FL has found a bunch of 'em.

malley1717
03-08-2008, 19:04
HAND GRENADE!?!?!?

i have found an anchor with some line, some garbage, and a knife

jeepbrew
03-08-2008, 21:16
HAND GRENADE!?!?!?

Yes, in the TN River in a little town called South Pittsburg.

I guess I will tell more of the story... on another dive in the exact same spot , one of my dive buddies found a loaded M16 assault rifle. Around the same time, another buddy surfaced and said, "Hey, I think I found a car" (this is extremely blackwater diving in a tiny creek of the TN river, so you can't even see your hand in front of your face). This would be a perfect place to hide anything... apparently even a car. So, at this point we called the local authorities. They called a wrecker to come out... we dove down and hooked up chains to the car... the pulled it out and sure enough, a body was tied up in the fetal position on the back seat. The cop immediately asked if the victim had a prosthetic leg. He did. Apparently he was a well-known local who had been missing for 5 years. He was in the river there the whole time. Very sad story, and quite creepy to be a part of.

I guess you never know what you might find when you go diving...

Reg
03-08-2008, 21:59
As part of Clean Up Australia Day a group us found things like an Old Rolex Watch, 30GB Ipod (probably 1 month old) and brand new Oceanic SEE 2 Mask (about 1 week). I needed a new mask as well

divingmedic
03-11-2008, 19:30
I found a "BOB" on my AOW dive at the Blue Lagoon out side Huntsville Texas.

Suther2136
03-11-2008, 20:28
My prized find is a 1/2c. diamond in the YMCA pool! :)

I hope you turned it in, my wife would die if she lost her ring.

mark44883
03-11-2008, 22:07
I found a "BOB" on my AOW dive at the Blue Lagoon out side Huntsville Texas.
i hope you left BOB there:smiley11::smiley21::smiley11::smilie39:

aiseson
03-13-2008, 12:25
My wife...
plus a silver folk from the Black Warrior & 2 life boat anchors - sunk 1859
tons of old bottles
Bullets from the USS SanDiego

chris in the socal
03-13-2008, 18:15
Ive found parts to an F-18 that went down in San Diego. It is at 100 feet and found part of the wing. Thank heavens for my lift bag. Weighed 69 pounds and barely got it up to the surface. think its a missile rack.

MicahEW
03-13-2008, 18:38
Ive found parts to an F-18 that went down in San Diego. It is at 100 feet and found part of the wing. Thank heavens for my lift bag. Weighed 69 pounds and barely got it up to the surface. think its a missile rack.

That is SWEET!

chris in the socal
03-13-2008, 18:42
Yes this is my favorite thing that I have found. Cant wait to finish the final cleanigs of it. there is said to be 2-500 gallon gas tanks there too.

MicahEW
03-13-2008, 18:45
nice gotta check it out sometime.. know the lat long? or even where on google earth? that is if you are willing to share?

Clanggedin
03-14-2008, 11:13
I found a pair of goggles and a used bandaid........

I recovered the goggles.

MSilvia
03-14-2008, 11:34
I found an old clay pipe bowl from the late 1800s near the wreck of the passenger steamer Romance in Boston Harbor. It had the maker's mark "TD" on it. My buddy found a pipe bowl just before I did, and I was pretty envious for the 30 seconds that went by before I found one too. There was a nice bed of large sea scallops right nearby too... nice dive!
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/27115118_9651a9422c.jpg

Lawdude
07-30-2008, 20:49
Someone on my first OW trip in Bull Shoals Lake found a dildo with a monkee on it. Beat that.

If you are the one that lost it, post reply on this forum and I can try to contact they guy who found it.

rktman26
07-30-2008, 20:55
I recovered a 15 pound anchor and five feet of chain on my first offshore night dive. The chain was wrapped around a pipe, and the previous owner had to cut his anchor line. That was the first cool thing I found, other than two boat batteries we picked up with a lift bag at a beach sweep.

sravin1
07-30-2008, 21:16
fishing hooks, line, caans, golf balls, and yes one bowling ball in the lake. dont know how it got there.

rktman26
07-30-2008, 21:20
I recovered a 15 pound anchor and five feet of chain on my first offshore night dive. The chain was wrapped around a pipe, and the previous owner had to cut his anchor line at the boat. That was the first cool thing I found, other than two boat batteries we picked up with a lift bag at a beach sweep.

I forgot to mention... As soon as I cut the line, I had a horrible feeling that the other end of the rode was attached to the dive boat, and I had just cut it free. Fortunately, that was not the case.

fisheater
07-31-2008, 00:21
Someone on my first OW trip in Bull Shoals Lake found a dildo with a monkee on it. Beat that.

Which Monkee? Micky, Davey, Michael or Peter?

DMBillies
07-31-2008, 01:15
In a lake in Ontario my brother and I went diving during a family vacation. I wouldn't be surprised if no one had ever been in any part of that lake before. On a part that went by the "main road" with a popular local high diving spot we found all sorts of car parts, coins, wallets, a bag full of very skimpy lingerie, etc. We hit a thermocline about 35 feet down that we couldn't have risked without dry suits (absolutely frigid...most amazing temp differential I've ever seen), but the lake is about 180 feet in that spot, so I can only imagine what lies at the bottom...

In another part of the lake we found a real nice boat anchor and discovered that there were a lot of bass down there that we were not catching.

CFDAlden
07-31-2008, 01:15
Hrmmm....

Downrigger cannonballs
Fishing lures
Snorkle
My AoW instructors backup dive light
Pepsi bottle from the mid 40's
Boat anchor

Skuttle
08-02-2008, 18:47
During my deep dive class I found a towel with dolphins on it, a whiskey bottle, a couple of beer cans, and a tree root sticking out the side of the wall. (Lake Mead, Las Vegas, Nevada).

Rhino
08-02-2008, 19:19

Must have been Peter!!:fiddler:

Sorry, somebody had to do it. :smiley36:

maverick
08-02-2008, 21:22
Someones lead weight

Jenn
08-02-2008, 21:57
Well I am pretty new to diving but I found some awesome fossils. I have found about 5 meg teeth and atleast 400 sharks teeth. I have also found manatee bones and whale bones. I will up date when I find anything else interesting.

K9Pig
08-02-2008, 23:04

:smiley20: You are killing me!!! :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

RMur
08-03-2008, 06:31
Golfballs
Divelight
Trash

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
08-03-2008, 07:09
Snorkels, masks, slates, tools, bullets, warheads (which I left in place!), sand tiger shark teeth, megalodon teeth, fossilized whale vertebrae.

tonka97
08-03-2008, 07:47
Bonaire, Small Wall, 7/22/08

Found a nice Bausch & Lomb magnifying glass, with the name AIC____ written on it.

I enjoyed using it on the coral heads, and up close/personal with an octopus.

I would be happy to return it if this person is a member of ST Forum!

:smiley20:

tonka97
08-03-2008, 08:44
Snorkels, masks, slates, tools, bullets, warheads (which I left in place!), sand tiger shark teeth, megalodon teeth, fossilized whale vertebrae.

Very cool finds!

Joe,
My sister is a bouzouki player, of many years, and founding member of an Appalachian Celtic group, Mountain Thyme, here in WV. The bouzouki is a wonderful instrument!
Cheers!:smiley32:

No thread hijack intended. Personal email was not available.
:smiley20:

FailedExistence
08-03-2008, 11:19
Mostly trash here ... did find a Frisbee which my dog loves and a replacement mouthpiece though.

mitsuguy
08-03-2008, 22:45
4 AA dive light, a bunch of golfballs, unlimited pairs of sunglasses (literally unlimited, every time I dive the Comal river, I find minimum 3 pairs), 3 anchors, a couple dollars worth of change, a few masks, a few snorkels, a few pairs of goggles, tons of single shoes, pairs of shorts, shirts, lots and lots of hats... I'm sure there is more, but those are the memorable ones...

17-40
08-05-2008, 22:51
I've found a few pairs of sunglasses many bottles, a watch some lead weights a car door many golf balls. My dad gets mad at me because the only thing he has found while with me is a wire tie.

violakat03
08-06-2008, 01:22
So far, not much interesting. A beach chair and an empty keg.

I'd love to find a dive computer. :D

NeveSSL
08-06-2008, 03:44
Wow! Some of you all are finding some really neat stuff.

We were in Pompano Beach a couple of weeks ago and while "shore snorkeling" (there's a reef just about 150 ft off of shore ;) ) we found a mask, snorkel, and two fins. The problem is that the fins are different. :D BUT, its a start for my wife! She didn't have anything before! :)

Brandon

MicahEW
08-06-2008, 07:59
i mostly find trash and i have found about 70lbs of weights

cyclone3565
08-06-2008, 08:12
Found at CSSP - Several weight belts and a tank light (turned in to lost and Found)

Found at Lake Murray - Princeton 4 C Cell Light and an beautiful Atomic Mask (made it my primary)

Isla Mujeres - found a Dive Computer - had been down about 30 hours, but was still working perfectly

Dinosaurus Valley State Park - a Timex and a pair of Oakley's

in addition to the vast supply of snorkels and what not.

mistletoe
08-06-2008, 08:23
I've found an inline six cylinder boat engine.

MSilvia
08-11-2008, 12:48
I found a nice big catch bag saturday night. I gave it to Rileybri... we'll have to do a scallop dive now!

SkuaSeptember
08-11-2008, 15:45
Found a wetsuit this Sunday. Anyone diving Cape Ann lose one?

character157
08-11-2008, 19:28
Rocks and fish...an old shoe as well. Still looking though.

Navy OnStar
08-11-2008, 20:04
Our instructor had accidentally left his weight pockets on a boat the day prior to a shore dive. My wife and I were finishing up the Search and Recovery portion of our AOW and he had rigged his BC so he could get down and instruct an OW class. We found the object he had us searching for and then continued the dive along the beach. About ten minutes later I found an integrated weight pouch thad had been down for some time. It was covered with barnacles and such but we swam to the shore and presented it to him during the surface interval with his OW class.

pyre24
08-11-2008, 20:22
Just fish and sunken vehicles. I wish I could find my dive knife I lost at Haigh Quarry though. lol

crgjpg
08-14-2008, 06:56
Mostly, I have found garbage. I have found underwear, cans, plastic wrappers. The most interesting thing I have found is a toy rubber lizard.

violakat03
08-14-2008, 07:01
It sounds like I just need to do some more shore dives instead of buying weight. I should be able to find all the weight I'd ever need if I just look for it! :D

BoomerNJ
08-14-2008, 07:43
I found a bunch of fishing weights on my first wreck dive last weekend, I left most of them down there... That's about it. My instructor came up with about 1lb of fishing weights, a mask (looked almost new) & had also found a bath tub (he didn't have a lift bag or I bet that would have come up too). It was an old style tub with claw feet...

kevinj1
08-14-2008, 20:25
my ultimate find...

My brother and I stumbled upon two ship cannons in about 25 feet of water and about 5 feet of visability. As we got on shore, we were jumping around and freaking out. We told nobody that night and went out the first thing the next morning only to find about 20 people doing an OW class dive right on top of our amazing find.
When, the instructor came to shore, we found out hat the local dive shop placed fake cannons at that location for all the new divers.

I never was more embarrassed in my whole life... Treasure hunter, I am not.

I hope you all got a laugh. I know I still do.

ColdPass
08-15-2008, 14:42
I've just found little things like the fishing lure my mother in law had snagged on a sunken tree, golf balls off the beach in Maui, swim goggles, cans, and the like.

I wish I'd find a decent replacement for the sunglasses I've lost. I always find ones that are beat up or rusty

diverdan_51
08-16-2008, 14:39
LOTS of misc. trash and one 2 lb weight block