PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Daylight "savings" Time!!!!!

DivingCRNA
03-07-2008, 17:36
What a stupid concept. The farmers do not even like it because it screws up the animals and the farmers get up PLENTY early anyway!

It has just gotten to where I get to see a little of the sun on the way to work and now the government arbitrarily decides to YANK that glimmer of light away from me for a month! JERKS !

Also, a new study shows DST actually COSTS us more energy because people run their AC longer each day because they get home with an hour more of sunlight (heat).

I would abolish it if I could. Maybe the "Save the Planet" Yahoos will get ahold of the idea and we will not put up with this crap anymore!

mitchy
03-07-2008, 17:44
A policeman was interviewed on the news tonight. He says stats show an increase in traffic accidents following the time change. I guess it's like a bit of jet lag, and the spillover effect is drivers being a little more tired and more likely to get into an accident.

Zenagirl
03-07-2008, 17:48
I hate it too and wish the danged government would pull their heads out and abolish it.

chinacat46
03-07-2008, 19:34
You all could always move to AZ then you wouldn't be able to complain about it but then you'd complain about the heat.

BuzzGA
03-07-2008, 19:41
I live in AZ and while not changing the clock is nice (I used to live in Florida)trying to remember the time difference back to the E. Coast is a pain the ...clock

Chad
03-07-2008, 20:03
DST is so stupid. I hate this time of year.

jtkkym
03-07-2008, 20:27
It depends...I like DST when I can play golf after work. I hate when I have to baby sit. They don't want to go to bed because it's not dark outside.

Mtrewyn
03-07-2008, 23:56
It depends...I like DST when I can play golf after work. I hate when I have to baby sit. They don't want to go to bed because it's not dark outside.

This sounds like my thoughts on the whole thing:smiley5:

CaptainRon
03-08-2008, 00:25
It does seem to be a little out dated now that most of us have these new fangled things called lights...:smiley36:

The worst part is having to reset all the clocks. It seems like EVERYTHING has a clock built into it now days.

Damselfish
03-08-2008, 06:35
I agree it probably doesn't make much sense anymore. But I do love when we get an extra hour of light in the evening...

Suther2136
03-08-2008, 06:53
Such a big world full of problems, so much to complain about, this doesn't even make the top 1000 list...

frankc420
03-08-2008, 06:58
I like DST, gives me an extra hour to play with my son outside after work.

Having the extra hour of daylight also gives you an extra hour of diving, but then again, you lose that hour in the morning. I'd rather have the extra hour in the afternoon rather than morning.

I'm going to say there are more wrecks because it is still dark outside when people are driving to work...

Charles R
03-08-2008, 07:04
Like already said if you hate it that much either move to AZ or Hawaii both don't have DST I live in AZ. the best of both worlds Live in AZ and have a summer home in Hawaii. Then you cant complain about the heat. And yes someday my dreams will come true

newways
03-08-2008, 07:19
I hate it in the fall, love it in the spring. That extra hour of daylight is like a gift...

You could always move to Indiana, they don't observe it either...

PubDartGuy
03-08-2008, 07:42
I also think DST is a nuisance. But the REAL reason our government (and many around the world) keep DST going is that it's a HUGE boost to the economy. In a capitalist system, you need all your "spending units" (that's us) to get out there and consume. By preserving more hours of daylight in the evening (AFTER we get off work - 'cause after all the spending units must first work, produce and contribute to the GNP), while it's still daylight, consumers are far more likely to leave their homes, go to the stores, go out to eat, be entertained, play golf - whatever - the point is to go and do, and spend money while you're at it. When it's dark at 5pm, people have a much larger tendency to go straight home after work, stay in, watch some TV, and go to bed early. The economy looses several RPMs when that happens, because all the little people are not out there peddling and keeping the big wheel spinning fast.

So, in good Capitalist tradition, DST is part of our motto: "Work hard. Play hard." (i.e. earn more, spend more). While I whine about having to get up earlier, the truth is, I too enjoy playing golf after work, or getting out to do whatever. Guess that makes me a good little spending unit.
;)

Read all about Daylight Savings Time here:
Daylight saving time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_savings_time)

DivingCRNA
03-08-2008, 08:28
I hate it in the fall, love it in the spring. That extra hour of daylight is like a gift...

Move to Indiana? Like HELL!!

The hour of daylight was always there..... Some of us enjoy it when we get up to go to work. There is something innately obscene about getting up for work when it is still dark out.:smiley11:

mitchy
03-08-2008, 09:32
I like DST. I'd rather the hour of sunlight after work than first thing in the morning when I can't really use it.

Shellback
03-08-2008, 10:45
I also think DST is a nuisance. But the REAL reason our government (and many around the world) keep DST going is that it's a HUGE boost to the economy. In a capitalist system, you need all your "spending units" (that's us) to get out there and consume. By preserving more hours of daylight in the evening (AFTER we get off work - 'cause after all the spending units must first work, produce and contribute to the GNP), while it's still daylight, consumers are far more likely to leave their homes, go to the stores, go out to eat, be entertained, play golf - whatever - the point is to go and do, and spend money while you're at it. When it's dark at 5pm, people have a much larger tendency to go straight home after work, stay in, watch some TV, and go to bed early. The economy looses several RPMs when that happens, because all the little people are not out there peddling and keeping the big wheel spinning fast.

So, in good Capitalist tradition, DST is part of our motto: "Work hard. Play hard." (i.e. earn more, spend more). While I whine about having to get up earlier, the truth is, I too enjoy playing golf after work, or getting out to do whatever. Guess that makes me a good little spending unit.
;)

Read all about Daylight Savings Time here:
Daylight saving time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_savings_time)
Now that sounds like the best explanation of DST that I have heard. Then there is the upcoming stimulus checks that we will all run out and go crazy with !!

cummings66
03-09-2008, 08:09
Personally I love DST, I wish the other side would go away. I like having time after work to do things, I can fly my plane in the light and I can get in a dive if I want to, in the light.

As to animals, my father in law raised milk cows and here's what he had to do. First, a cow needs milked when it needs milked and they'll bawl if you don't. I've heard stories of them breaking open, don't know if that's true or not, but it's a story and farmers milk them to make them stop.

So, the schedule is one that's set by the farmer who determines the schedule by when it needs to happen. IE if he chose to milk them at 6 AM and DST happened he didn't switch right then and there because the cow can't tell time and just knows it's time to be milked. So the farmer would slowly get the cow used to being milked at the new time so that he wouldn't have to wake up an hour earlier every time.

That is how my father in law worked his animals at any rate. No vacations could happen unless he got a guy to milk them, there are no days off with milk cows.

DivingCRNA
03-09-2008, 08:15
Check this out: Study: Daylight Saving Time actually raises utility bills : Christopher Null : Yahoo! Tech (http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/83073)

DST COSTS us money every year. It is time to stop the madness!

dannybot
03-09-2008, 09:59
I can't help but wonder: now since the expansion of DST, we spend more of the year out of our own time zone than in it!

doczerothree
03-09-2008, 10:22
:smiley_scuba:
I am with you on this daylight saving time thing!! :smiley29: I don't understanding the whys of it at all. news says it's to have more daylight so we don't use so much energy... when I was growing up i was told it was for the farmers and the growing seasons. Who knows at this point. :smiley25: In the next 10 years it will mean something else.

thecheeseman
03-09-2008, 10:47
me too! timezones and DST's just kill me. I LIKE MY DARKNESS, THANK YOU

NoTime58
03-09-2008, 14:44
Forgot to set the clocks ahead last night so the "family" and I wound up having breakfast @ 1000 am today. Oh well, at least they got one meal today.....don't want to spoil `em too much !!

Chocoholic
03-09-2008, 15:29
I hate daylight savings time too, we were just getting to where it was light when I go to work in the am, now we're back to getting up and driving to work in the dark!

BoomerNJ
03-09-2008, 16:15
I agree with cummings66, I like having the extra light at the end of the day instead of the morning. I wish the switch would go away & just stay this way...

granolatree
03-09-2008, 18:39
I hate daylight savings time too, we were just getting to where it was light when I go to work in the am, now we're back to getting up and driving to work in the dark!

I know exactly what you mean. DST is stupid. But in a few months we won't really care, it will be light out most of the time.:smiley20:

cummings66
03-09-2008, 18:43
Here's the deal with DST. It has nothing to do with crops for farmers, the Earth knows nothing of time, it's pretty solid there. Animals could care less, their patterns are based on things other than clocks.

Man is the only creature that keeps time with a clock, it's for us that this thing came into being. I was told it had to do with WWII.

I'll do some google searching and see.

cummings66
03-09-2008, 18:52
I discovered that at least 70 other countries observe it, including Russia. Almost every govt study of every nation says it saves energy. But there are some private studies that say otherwise, including the link above. I like this quote from it.

"In related news, it was also revealed that Daylight Saving Time actually creates no additional daylight."

Here's the facts as I found out, if you can trust a govt site that is.

In 1918, in order to conserve resources for the war effort, the U.S. Congress placed the country on Daylight Saving Time for the remainder of WW I. It was observed for seven months in 1918 and 1919. The law, however, proved so unpopular that it was later repealed.

When America went to war again, Congress reinstated Daylight Saving Time on February 9, 1942. Time in the U.S. was advanced one hour to save energy. It remained advanced one hour forward year-round until September 30, 1945.

From 1945 to 1966, there was no U.S. law about Daylight Saving Time. So, states and localities were free to observe Daylight Saving Time or not.
This, however, caused confusion -- especially for the broadcasting industry, and for trains and buses. Because of the different local customs and laws, radio and TV stations and the transportation companies had to publish new schedules every time a state or town began or ended Daylight Saving Time.

By 1966, some 100 million Americans were observing Daylight Saving Time through their own local laws and customs. Congress decided to step in end the confusion and establish one pattern across the country. The Uniform Time Act of 1966 (http://fatty.law.cornell.edu/uscode/15/260a.html) (15 U.S. Code Section 260a) created Daylight Saving Time to begin on the last Sunday of April and to end on the last Sunday of October. Any area that wanted to be exempt from Daylight Saving Time could do so by passing a local ordinance. The law was amended in 1986 to begin Daylight Saving Time on the first Sunday in April.

Check out this study for some nice benefits of DST. The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy (http://www.bepress.com/bejeap/vol7/iss1/art11/)

There are others too, less crime to name another one. I think a person can find a study that says whatever they believe in, I'm looking for one right now that says the sky is purple and not blue. Odd's are I'll come across one.

jwdizney
03-09-2008, 19:54
like most people, i have a j.o.b. and i'm working from 8 to 5 every day. i usually get home around 5:30 ish and for the past few months, it's getting dark outside. with DST, i can come home and take care of my yardwork and outside "chores" during the week, freeing up my weekends for whatever I want.:smiley2:

needless to say, i'm a fan of DST. :smiley20:

granolatree
03-09-2008, 20:07
"In related news, it was also revealed that Daylight Saving Time actually creates no additional daylight."

Hahahah, ya think? :bush2:

Doug B
03-09-2008, 20:10

Nope. Indiana switched to DST in 2007. And I LOVE it.

DivingCRNA
03-09-2008, 21:18
like most people, i have a j.o.b. and i'm working from 8 to 5 every day. i usually get home around 5:30 ish and for the past few months, it's getting dark outside. with DST, i can come home and take care of my yardwork and outside "chores" during the week, freeing up my weekends for whatever I want.:smiley2:

I work roughly 6 to 2 or 3. I already had that time. I just want to drive to work in the light and not get up for work in the dark!

cummings66
03-09-2008, 21:22
Lucky dog, well sort of. I wouldn't want your job. I have the typical 8 to 5 job so I wasn't as lucky as you were. Of course I don't like waking up at 5 either so I'd be a zombie in your job.

hoobascooba
03-09-2008, 21:34
i like DST too, i'd just rather it STAY DST all the time... why conserve energy only in the summer time, why not year-round? ..if it actually does save energy that is!

i wish i had a job where i could use an alarm clock that was activated via sunlight. Get up when the sun comes up, do everything i need to do, then go to bed when the sun goes down... so i can start all over again the next day :D

cummings66
03-09-2008, 21:55
I'd be willing to bet if we did that as a society we'd be happier with less mental illness and health issues. Man was not meant to work through the night.

BoomerNJ
03-10-2008, 02:57
It is now 0406 hrs & I can tell you, my mental well being is not at it's best when working midnight shifts...

unclepooty
03-10-2008, 10:05
[quote=cummings66;143357]Here's the deal with DST. It has nothing to do with crops for farmers, the Earth knows nothing of time, it's pretty solid there. Animals could care less, their patterns are based on things other than clocks.

Agreed. Give me the light after work. I'm just driving to work in the morn. anyway.

BSea
03-10-2008, 10:54

These are my sentiments exactly. I have no problem with getting up when it's dark, but I really hate when it's dark by 5:30 at night. Plus this time of year I can get so much more done in that extra hour when its light outside.

Edit: I forgot 1 thing. Without DST, how are we supposed to know when to change the batteries in the smoke detectors?:smiley24:

DiverJoe
03-10-2008, 11:58
I dislike DST as well, lol it's the "hallmark holiday" of stupid Gov't calendar changes.

Plus when they keep changing the stinking date and you forget about it, then you really get messed up for showing up to school/work late.

cummings66
03-10-2008, 12:36
I tell you what, aside from the getting used to waking up at a different/same to the clock now time, it's not bad. I hate the first week after the change because it seems to take me that long to get used to the changes. Now when it flips back the other way I like it for a week or so because I get a bit more time, or so it appears. In reality there is no difference, it's just a number on a device.

WV Diver
03-10-2008, 12:59
Now that it is back on the correct time they can leave it alone. Thank you very much.

And that's all I have to say about thaaat.:smiley36:

divergirl
03-14-2008, 13:12
I guess i'm one of the few who actually enjoys DST. I have no problem heading to work in the dark, because really.. I'm going to be trapped inside all day anyway so what difference does it make. What I really dislike is coming home in the evening and it being pitch black outside... I mean what am I supposed to do then. With the added light when I get home it means I can actually enjoy my life (seeing as many of the activities I enjoy take place outdoors).

cmburch
03-14-2008, 13:32
I greatly dislike DST . I am a morning person. I rise with the sun. During the summer, I can easily get out of bed with the sun at 5:15 in the morning to feed the animals and work in the yard before going to work. I also love riding my bike at the marina or on Mare Island in the evening. I just do not like getting up and working in the dark.