PDA

View Full Version : Did I Pay Too Much in Service Fee's?

DRNightdiver
03-08-2008, 07:14
I recently had my LDS perform the annual service on my reg and BCD. I also had them perform a pressure test on my computer. I was was wondering if I overpaid for this service. (total $158)

Reg: MK10/G250/Air2

I was charged $75 in labor and $83 in parts (service kits/o-rings/zip tyes).
It doesn't appear that I was charged for BCD or pressure test but it still seems high. The reg and BCD were gifts a few years back so there were not purchased from this LDS so maybe that's why the higher charge.

malley1717
03-08-2008, 19:07
that seems a bit high. i would ask for a breakdown. o rings and zipties are only pennies

ScubaToys Larry
03-08-2008, 19:24
Unless a major part had to be replaced, our pricing would have been very close to half of that. It's 49.95 for service - and if you need a rebuild kit it's normally about 20 bucks. If purchased from us - parts are free for life.

BC service - is normally not required... not much to go wrong, but to clean out all the valves and lube everything up is $19.95. We don't charge for pressure testing a gauge or computer.

CaptainRon
03-08-2008, 23:49
There's you answer......Next time make it ST's...

Zenagirl
03-09-2008, 04:48
Are you the first owner of the reg? Was your LDS an authorized dealer? If so for both, you should check to see if your brand of reg comes with free parts. If it does, all you should have had to do was show it was purchased from an authorized dealer to begin with and has had regular service (under whatever the warranty specifies).

Crimediver
03-09-2008, 07:17
I agree with Larry. Don't take a BC for service. You also got overcharged for the parts and labor. That is why I learned to work on my own gear. Some regs I own I cannot work on but i send them off to a reputable repair center where I know ahead of time what the rates are.

DRNightdiver
03-09-2008, 10:50
I am the second owner. It was a gift from a friend who could no long diver because of medical reasons so I do not have a proof of Purchase. Both BC and Reg are Scubapro. I figured that i payed too much.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." Lesson learned.

Thanks all for the info.

NoTime58
03-09-2008, 14:47
Unless a major part had to be replaced, our pricing would have been very close to half of that. It's 49.95 for service - and if you need a rebuild kit it's normally about 20 bucks. If purchased from us - parts are free for life.

BC service - is normally not required... not much to go wrong, but to clean out all the valves and lube everything up is $19.95. We don't charge for pressure testing a gauge or computer.

Thanks for the info Larry, I'll have to file that away for future reference.

plot
03-09-2008, 15:42
that seems steep even without a warranty/incentive/whatever else. you can do BC maintenance yourself, pressure testing just compare your comp to someone elses at depth and see if the depth matches up.

For regs... Larry's 50+20 for parts sounds right about on par for what I've seen at LDS's... and that's all I'd ever worry about taking in. Nothing else will be an issue.

$83 in parts... sounds completely ridiculous unless they had to replace something big.