PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Dive

crosseyed95
03-09-2008, 12:11
We recently had a diver pass away who was loved by everyone. Our dive community isn't strongly organized but I'd like to start a yearly memorial dive for this individual.

I've got some ideas that would work but I'm hoping for some input. If you have done something similiar, could you post what you did and how successful it was?

crosseyed95

thecheeseman
03-09-2008, 13:15
Where are you located?
That's a great idea, though.

crosseyed95
03-09-2008, 14:43
Where are you located?
That's a great idea, though.

Right next to Lake Michigan. Plenty of shore diving locations but nothing much to look at during the dive. Several wrecks in the area but they are deeper than many of the local divers would go.

h2odragon1
03-09-2008, 22:50
Down here in Illinois we have the Jim Haigh memorial dive day, at the haigh Quarry. The Family owned quarry has had this dive for 6 years now and will have another dive this year. The memorial dive benefits the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago and DAN. It is usually attended by 200-300 people. You need to have a cause/benificiary to attract divers, and lots of volunteers. The Haigh Memorial dive has contributions from individuals and local dive shops to raffle off.
Lots of work and lots of time and lots of volunteers are needed. You may get some help from your local dive shops, as far as word of mouth advertising, and some assistance from any shop that knew your friend.
Haigh Quarry -- The Place for scuba diving in Northern Illinois (http://haighquarry.com/) the phone # is there if you think this is something you rreally want to do. You may want to start out small then grow.:smiley20:
GOOD LUCK!
He had good friends.

BuzzGA
03-09-2008, 23:10
That is a really great idea