PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question

thecheeseman
03-09-2008, 13:17
Okay, so i am SSI certified. I am diving in Hawaii this summer, as well as a scuba summer camp. Both places we are diving are PADI, and a SSI shop isn't near out hotel in Hawaii. I am doing a manta ray night dive in HI, and the shop said I could get PADI night diver easily if we did the classroom work. Okay, great I said.

Is it worth it to just get PADI certified as well? I don't know how much advanced specialities cost in PADI, but they are 200 ish plus gear at my dive shop, so i would rather not do the classwork for PADI in hawaii, and then come back to CA and do the classroom for SSI!!!!!

What do you guys think? Should I just get PADI certified?

newways
03-09-2008, 13:53
I wouldn't worry about it. I'd just do the night dive. That is unless they are requiring you to be night certified to go on the dive... I don't see any reason to be certified by both agencies.

crosseyed95
03-09-2008, 14:45
I wouldn't worry about it. I'd just do the night dive. That is unless they are requiring you to be night certified to go on the dive... I don't see any reason to be certified by both agencies.

I agree.

Bigg_Budd
03-09-2008, 17:50
Money making scheme. Ignore.

SkuaSeptember
03-09-2008, 18:00
For most purposes there is no need to duplicate a specialty that you have done with another training organization.
Unless... what you are going for ultimately is a Master Scuba Diver designation. In this case PADI requires PADI AOW+5 PADI specialties+ PADI Rescue Diver. I assume,although I don't know for sure, that the other training agencies might have a similar requirement.

fisheater
03-10-2008, 00:01
For most purposes there is no need to duplicate a specialty that you have done with another training organization.
Unless... what you are going for ultimately is a Master Scuba Diver designation. In this case PADI requires PADI AOW+5 PADI specialties+ PADI Rescue Diver. I assume,although I don't know for sure, that the other training agencies might have a similar requirement.

I thought that PADI, like the other agencies, gave you credit for the other agency's specialty courses if they were similar to what that agency's course.

No?

SkuaSeptember
03-10-2008, 09:20

I thought that PADI, like the other agencies, gave you credit for the other agency's specialty courses if they were similar to what that agency's course.

No?
I checked again in the manual. AOW and Rescue can be equivalents, but the 5 specialties must be PADI to earn PADI MSD. If you aren't looking for the Master Scuba Diver rating, machs nicht.

thecheeseman
06-08-2008, 12:06
Oh that sucks. Guess i won't, you guys are right. Thanks!

RikRaeder
06-08-2008, 12:10
Remember Cheesy,
There are no stupid questions...
only stupid answers!

longtailbda
06-08-2008, 15:39
No need to get Padi certified never saw anyone turned away from a dive because of a different cert agency.

DarinMartell
06-08-2008, 15:45
Remember Cheesy,
only stupid answers!

I though tthe saying was:

only stupid people! :smiley36:

No saying anything bad about the OP, could not help myself "correcting" the saying.

thecheeseman
06-08-2008, 16:50
hahaha.

ianr33
06-08-2008, 17:26
Why stop with Nightdiver?

You could get charged for Boatdiver and Manta Ray Awareness as well all on the same dive :smiley36:

Manta Ray Bay Hotel - Diving, courses (http://www.mantaray.com/diving/diving_courses.html)

thecheeseman
06-09-2008, 18:57
Thru SSI, i took the boat and night speciality. I actually decided to get them here, in a few weeks. Edit: good idea. I will probabally take the manta ray specialty. I'll see who offers in Kona. Thanks man.

Edit: Nevermind, it is a "special" speciality, the guy made it himself. Oh well.

You know, one of these days I shuld start thinking. And take spelling lessons.

Bryanmc
06-09-2008, 19:10
Internet Diver Specialty.

You can't do any internet diving without first completing this one.....

Followed by internet dive gear buyer specialty and the master rating... internet dive gear (bought way too much) seller rating.