PDA

View Full Version : Wetshaving

LaCroix42
03-09-2008, 22:39
We got off on a bit of a tangent over in the women's issues forum, I thought I'd start a new thread over here for this.

For those that haven't yet, wet shaving (using a brush, soap and a double edged safety or straight razor) can be one of the more relaxing aspects of your morning (or evening) ritual, and it's far cheaper than the disposables and canned gel out there. Ironically enough, using the right DE can take no more time than a disposable shave, and can also be done in the shower (for those who shave while showering). Personally, I wouldn't suggest using a straight razor in the shower, especially with something like this: Shaveblog (http://www.shaveblog.com/2005/05/scary-razor.html), but to each their own.

For those interested, there are a few good sites to check out. If you're in Dallas or a few other cities, check out The Art of Shaving. Decent prices on most of their stuff, the supplies are top notch and if you buy a straight razor from them, they will happily show you how to use it. For a special occasion, or not, the straight shave is quite relaxing, done by a professional barber. The Art of Shaving (http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos6/home.php)

You can also check out Classic Shaving, chock full of invaluable tips and good prices for all the gear you need (no, I haven't made any purchases from them). Straight Razors - Safety Razors - Wet Shaving & Grooming Supplies (http://www.classicshaving.com/Home.html)

Enjoy!

BuzzGA
03-09-2008, 22:48
My wife bought me a wet shaving setup a year ago and it is the best! Less razor burn, and I use 2 or 3 of the soap rounds a year instead of lots of cans of the gel. I've been ordering through Shaving Brushes, Men's Wet Shaving, Badger and Boar Bristles Brushes, Razors (http://www.emsplace.com)

FyVe
03-10-2008, 04:31
that shaveblog link is well written, and strikes me with fear. those razors are a bit too much for me IMO (or actually, BLADES, not razors)

cummings66
03-10-2008, 07:08
I've got a setup my Dad gave me a long time ago, it's an antique that he had from the 50's. I agree that a straight blade can shave as close if not closer but I don't agree that it's better. I get ingrown hairs if I use anything other than an electric. Not sure why but I think it's got to do with getting too close of a shave.

LaCroix42
03-10-2008, 12:58
I've got a setup my Dad gave me a long time ago, it's an antique that he had from the 50's. I agree that a straight blade can shave as close if not closer but I don't agree that it's better. I get ingrown hairs if I use anything other than an electric. Not sure why but I think it's got to do with getting too close of a shave.

I'm the opposite, I kept getting ingrown hairs with the disposables and never really cared for how my face felt after using the electric. C'est la vie, I suppose.

mark44883
03-10-2008, 14:01
my wife b-day is comeing up my be thats what i'll get her lol

MSilvia
03-10-2008, 15:19
I've been wet shaving for several years now, and I'll never go back. For me, it's a better shave for a small fraction of the cost. I spend less on a year of shaving than I used to spend monthly.

mwhities
03-10-2008, 15:47
Wet Shave? I just belly up to the mirror and start shaving. Of course, my wife freaks out from all the yelling and cursing I'm doing but, it gets the job done. No wasted water, cream, soaps or anything.

MicahEW
03-10-2008, 19:45
there is a barber shop abt a block away and I often save up the beard for a few days before a hair cut so I can get a good straight blade shave. i also own a few myself. there is no better shave. never did the double edge but am curious.

JTMoney
03-10-2008, 19:58
I've been meaning to pick one up but just haven't had the time to learn. I love getting the warm lather and straight razor shave on the back of my neck at the barber shop, though.

MicahEW
03-10-2008, 20:32
I've been meaning to pick one up but just haven't had the time to learn. I love getting the warm lather and straight razor shave on the back of my neck at the barber shop, though.

I had that done before in CA but they dont do it anywhere in TN. Is ther a special license needed to use a striaght blade I wonder??

frankc420
03-10-2008, 20:41
Wet Shave? I just belly up to the mirror and start shaving. Of course, my wife freaks out from all the yelling and cursing I'm doing but, it gets the job done. No wasted water, cream, soaps or anything.

He is telling the truth, he forgot to mention however, that he looks like homer simpson for two days from razor burn.

Suther2136
03-11-2008, 11:40
I get up at 5 AM, I'm not getting close to anything I can cut my thoat with at that hour. The old electric does just fine, with risk of a premature suicide.

MSilvia
03-11-2008, 12:54
I'm not getting close to anything I can cut my thoat with at that hour.
I wet shave with a safety razor, not a straight razor. There isn't much risk of cutting yourself with one unless you're REALLY sloppy.

EuphoriaII
03-11-2008, 14:14
I'll stick to the disposables. It's all about moving on with my day. I dont want to take any more time in morning prep.

Hollywood703
03-11-2008, 19:05
my wife b-day is comeing up my be thats what i'll get her lol

might reconsider that.....you screw up and forget her Birthday, your anniversary...etc......she now has a weapon....that you gave her :)

CompuDude
03-11-2008, 20:49
I've always liked the idea, but I move too fast for the most part. I don't trust myself with a straight razor, although I might try the DE razor someday. I've nearly plopped down the money at the Art of Shaving several times. But somehow I always stop at the last moment and buy more dive gear instead. LOL

TwIsTeD
03-26-2008, 21:02
OK I just pulled out my Grandfathers DE Gillette and took a try at this. I bought some DE blades today and stuck a new one in there. took some practice to get the angle right and I wasn't sure how much pressure I could apply. Any of you have any suggestions?

BTW I'm clean shaven and no cuts or nicks....

CompuDude
03-26-2008, 21:58
OK I just pulled out my Grandfathers DE Gillette and took a try at this. I bought some DE blades today and stuck a new one in there. took some practice to get the angle right and I wasn't sure how much pressure I could apply. Any of you have any suggestions?

As I understand it, the weight of the razor itself is supposed to be enough.

Check the artofshaving.com they may have some tips posted, or other 'net resources.

loudgonzo
03-28-2008, 08:53

As I understand it, the weight of the razor itself is supposed to be enough.

Check the artofshaving.com they may have some tips posted, or other 'net resources.

I moved from disposables to DE safety razors a few months ago, love it!
You will find anything and everything below. A wealth of information on wet shaving, tips, reviews, etc...

Badger & Blade (http://www.badgerandblade.com)

HolgMaster
03-31-2008, 12:44
lol, nice thread... :)

yankeefan21
03-31-2008, 12:49
Yeah. Um. I just use a razor with 3 blades.

TwIsTeD
04-03-2008, 14:07
Yeah. Um. I just use a razor with 3 blades.

I use one of those also, but $20.00 for a pack of 6 is a little high. I'm almost as fast with a DE razor now, and they cost $3.00 for 20.

LaCroix42
04-03-2008, 16:48
As I understand it, with a DE the weight of the razor is supposed to be enough. If it's a light one, you may apply a bit of head pressure, but not much. Extra pressure is was causes the ingrowns and nicks (again, as I understand it).

Tableleg
04-07-2008, 17:17
It's all about moving on with my day. I dont want to take any more time in morning prep. I'm kinda the same way. I've been wet shaving with a safety razor for a little more than a year now and will NEVER use a disposable razer again! But even when I'm in a rush and don't do the whole shebang, (it seems only on weekends can I fit in the time to save properly) a quick shave with water/very little shaving cream always turns out much better using the safety razor rather than using a cartrige razor. Not to mention it's much cheaper. :smiley20:

I've nearly plopped down the money at the Art of Shaving several times And nor should you. They very much over charge for their stuff. Classic Shaving (http://www.classicshaving.com/Home.html) is where I get all my stuff, and it's always cheaper than TAOS.

CompuDude
04-07-2008, 19:00
It's all about moving on with my day. I dont want to take any more time in morning prep. I'm kinda the same way. I've been wet shaving with a safety razor for a little more than a year now and will NEVER use a disposable razer again! But even when I'm in a rush and don't do the whole shebang, (it seems only on weekends can I fit in the time to save properly) a quick shave with water/very little shaving cream always turns out much better using the safety razor rather than using a cartrige razor. Not to mention it's much cheaper. :smiley20:

I've nearly plopped down the money at the Art of Shaving several times And nor should you. They very much over charge for their stuff. Classic Shaving (http://www.classicshaving.com/Home.html) is where I get all my stuff, and it's always cheaper than TAOS.

Good link, thanks. :)

I'll try it out one of these days. I'm still leery of the extra time during the week. Seconds count, for me. Seriously.

Black-Gorrilla
04-07-2008, 20:58
I just shaved (use conventional razors..) and it was the best shave i've had in months.... same razor i used yesterday, only thing that changed was the cream... picked up a 1.99 can of Noxema, and WOW... i actually feel happy with this shave. (razor is a Schick Titanium 4 blade something)

CompuDude
04-07-2008, 23:28
I just shaved (use conventional razors..) and it was the best shave i've had in months.... same razor i used yesterday, only thing that changed was the cream... picked up a 1.99 can of Noxema, and WOW... i actually feel happy with this shave. (razor is a Schick Titanium 4 blade something)

I used to use all the Gillette stuff. Seemed to make sense... these guys make the razors, so they much know what they're doing, right?

Wrong.

Aveeno Active Naturals Therapeutic Shave Gel. It'll change your shaving. :smiley20: