PDA

View Full Version : Best Shore Diving in Florida?

JugglingMonkeys
03-10-2008, 14:14
Hey all

Where are some good shore diving locations in Florida?

I'm hoping to take several sons with me but just can't afford the expense of a week of boat diving for all of us.

What's good? Reefs if possible.

Thanks very much!

cgvmer
03-10-2008, 14:49
Check out this: Fill Express -- The Best Shore Dive in Florida Is off Datura Avenue (http://www.fillexpress.com/library/datura.shtml)
When will you be there?

JugglingMonkeys
03-10-2008, 16:03
Check out this: Fill Express -- The Best Shore Dive in Florida Is off Datura Avenue (http://www.fillexpress.com/library/datura.shtml)
When will you be there?

thanks!

week of June 9 or thereabouts.

mobeeno
03-10-2008, 22:00
Which is better or are they the same place.

FyVe
03-11-2008, 21:24
Datura is really nice Issac (eyezz) took me and my brother out there once, really a nice place to dive, and there was a lot of people going in the water as we where coming out. i think we went in at like 8 and out by 9ish... there was about 4 dive flags, and another 5 or so divers getting ready to go in. nice popular place. i think if you go out there you will enjoy it.
there is also a place that i dont think is too far from there, the "Jacks" i've never been, but issac and my brother went, on a bad day (really bad) and still seemed to enjoy it. lots of life from what i was told.

ScubaJW
03-11-2008, 23:04
I heard that Lauderdale by the Sea is a popular place to shore dive. Reef and wrecks... but I do not know where exactly, though.

There is a shore diving on Venice Beach to hunt for shark teeth including megs.

FyVe
03-12-2008, 16:26
I heard that Lauderdale by the Sea is a popular place to shore dive. Reef and wrecks... but I do not know where exactly, though.

i though that venice beach was by boat?

Kokomo
03-12-2008, 20:17
I think Destin has shore diving also, doesn't it?

Scubastud16
03-12-2008, 21:57
Venice is predominantly shore diving.

ScubaJW
03-12-2008, 22:26

Not only by a boat, you can shore dive there. You can fill the bag easy! I have dove several times and found so many teeths including 2 megs.

FyVe
03-12-2008, 22:59

Not only by a boat, you can shore dive there. You can fill the bag easy! I have dove several times and found so many teeths including 2 megs.

nice size ones?
i need to go out there sometime.
thanks. and sorry for sorta sidetracking this thread.

DarinMartell
03-12-2008, 23:00
Destin has the Jetties, I didn't do them but have heard good things.

emcbride81
03-12-2008, 23:22
Laud by the Sea has two nice reefs with decent marine life and hard corals. It is right off 1A near the pier, there is a dive shop 2 blocks west of the pier to get tanks and the swim out is not bad at all!

Jamesmb
03-26-2008, 10:18
Not dove in florida in years, but use to dive alot off of Hollywood, FL. You might try off of Sheridan and Charleston streets

nizutz
03-27-2008, 16:24
Venice is fun. I have hauled some nice teeth out of there. Cant wait to get back out.

JugglingMonkeys
02-21-2009, 01:19
What's a good hotel to stay at?
around the Ft. Lauderdale - Pompano Beach area

something on the beach - so non-divers will have fun on the beach too.

Thanks

Rockhound76
02-23-2009, 16:10
St. Andrews State Park, Panama City. Great dives there. Just watch the tide and only go 1-2hrs before high tide slack-in-the pass. I've been going there since 1976 and it still hasn't gotten old (yeh. I know. I HAVE.) Max Depth last summer: 70', but the depths will vary as the sand shifts. I would guess it will still be from 70 to 80 max. Viz varies from 10' to 50'+ depending on rainfall and blooms in the water. Watch for fishermen (got my flag hooked last year and was nearly dragged up on the rocks).

I haven't been to the Destin Jetties since the mid-80's. Used to be a good dive, but a heckuva walk. 50' max back then. Great shelling in the hole due south of the end of the rocks (boats, boats, boats, be careful.)

I've had mixed results at Ft. Pickens, Pensacola.

My favorite, by far, is St. Andrews.

Remember: Dive flags are required and you WILL be ticketed without one, even if only snorkeling on the channel side.

ektess1
03-12-2009, 23:42
They best shore dives are in Fort Lauderdale. Stop at any dive shop and they will have a book for sale that list 20 different dive sites. Some are better than others, but all are good.

DMWiz
03-14-2009, 21:33
Which is better or are they the same place.

Datura is a street in Lauderdale by The Sea the area is pretty popular with the local divers and you can find divers almost any day of the week there. You can also find larger sea life in that area at times. Depending on the time of the day you get there parking can be a nightmare and it's constantly enforced by the very unfriendly meter maids so quarters are a must.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3440/3355512918_f490922ac3.jpg

There are 3 reefs lines that run north/south an can be accessed from pretty much any shore in the Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood area although some areas are much better than others and that's where you'll find most people dive.

I prefer Dania Beach mainly because it's closer to me so I dive it almost every week.

PhD4JC
01-25-2011, 20:27
I was under the impression that Venice was muck diving, better for finding ancient shark teeth.

Venice is predominantly shore diving.

bigman241
01-26-2011, 12:36
you did it before I could, can not wait to hit therre shop
When will you be there?