PDA

View Full Version : My Slate Dangles from BC D-Ring

Vercingetorix
07-31-2007, 11:56
My small slate is attached to my upper right D-ring. It often gets in the way. Is there a way to secure it such that it is easy to access and read, but doesn't flop around? I don't want to move it to a lower D-ring. It is snap-clipped; I don't use retractors. My rig is a BP/W with Hog harness.

No Misses
07-31-2007, 12:06
You could opt for the wrist mounted slate. Me, I ditched the slate and have resorted to hand signals. You know the simple ones...

Hand on edge on top of head = Shark
Hand doing the vulcan salute sideways = Moray
Middle finger extended = you know ;-)

WaterRat
07-31-2007, 12:10
The right way would be to put a pocket on the right waist band to keep it in or a pair of x-shorts or glue a thigh pocket to your exposure suit.

You might be able to take a length of surgical tubing and tie it around your right harness strap. Then you could stretch it around the slate to hold it down.

Ron

ReefHound
07-31-2007, 12:10
I keep a slate in a pocket/pouch on my waist harness, seldom take it out though. When I know I'll be using it I just tuck it under the waist harness.

Illini_Fan
07-31-2007, 12:14
I have the same challenge and was wondering about solutions. Dove with a guy on Saturday that had the forearm / wrist slate. But at this point, I've taken to tucking the slate into the straps on the BC. So it is attached to the upper right D ring and then basically tucked back under in the D ring and the strap.

ertechsg
07-31-2007, 12:32
Can you apply velcro to the harness

Illini_Fan
07-31-2007, 12:42
Can you apply velcro to the harness

I'll have to check out the velcro idea -- thanks.

Vercingetorix
07-31-2007, 13:55
But at this point, I've taken to tucking the slate into the straps on the BC. So it is attached to the upper right D ring and then basically tucked back under in the D ring and the strap.I thought about this and tried it on dry land. Have not had opportunity to try it wet. Was it uncomfortable swiminng?

I've also thought about ertechsq's velcro idea. I'd like to hear if that works for you as well.

I do have one pocket on my left waist strap (right waist strap has EMS shears and small BC knife). Unfortunately, the slate won't fit. If it did, I would lose the utility of the pocket for other things.

Illini_Fan
07-31-2007, 14:03
...I thought about this and tried it on dry land. Have not had opportunity to try it wet. Was it uncomfortable swiminng?...

It took some time to actually position the slate in the right spot so it would stay -- once that was done, I didn't notice it and actually had to check a couple of times to make sure it was still secured and not dangling again.

picxie
07-31-2007, 14:13
I ended up keeping my slate in my BCD pocket as it was getting in the way. Now I hardly know it's there but I can still use it if need be. Although I really don't use it much, hand signals seems to be easier.

ScubaToys Larry
07-31-2007, 14:23
I'm using a Brigade BC... so I can use the pocket, but if wearing a full suit, I slip mine between me and my cummerbund (which you probably don't have either with your setup) and when wearing a shorty, I push it up one of my legs under my suit.

Now no comments about me signaling a diver to stop and look as I reach up my pant leg...

Wolfie2012
07-31-2007, 14:40
Now no comments about me signaling a diver to stop and look as I reach up my pant leg...

That might go under the heading of too much information ;)

ianr33
07-31-2007, 14:52
My vote is for a wrist slate. Totally flush with your arm and instantly accessible. I took the silly velco strap off mine and replaced it with bungee

loudgonzo
07-31-2007, 15:19

That might go under the heading of too much information ;)

Actually great information, because if I didn't know Larry was going for the slate, I might just turn the opposite direction and swim as fast as possible

Vercingetorix
07-31-2007, 15:25
I agree with No Misses and Picxie that hand signals are best. However, when I want to convey something a bit more complex to my buddy like "My primary seems to be breathing a little hard. I wonder what Greg at ScubaToys can do so that it it flows more smoothly, while not freeflowing. And, what kind of beer do we have in the cooler at the pavillion, Guinness or that piss caled Miller?"...well, you can imagine the hand signalling would be quite convoluted. One wrong move, andit looks like I'm swearing at him.

My wrists already have a dive computer and compass attached.

creggur
07-31-2007, 16:50
I agree with No Misses and Picxie that hand signals are best. However, when I want to convey something a bit more complex to my buddy like "My primary seems to be breathing a little hard. I wonder what Greg at ScubaToys can do so that it it flows more smoothly, while not freeflowing. And, what kind of beer do we have in the cooler at the pavillion, Guinness or that piss caled Miller?"...well, you can imagine the hand signalling would be quite convoluted. One wrong move, andit looks like I'm swearing at him.

Yeah trying to hand signal something that complex you could end up saying something to the effect of "My primary is hard, I wonder if Greg at ST can do it more smoothly? And, what kind of piss is freeflowing from Greg at the pavillion into the cooler?"

Total confusion, and probably a good way to loose dive buddies:smilie39:

TxHockeyGuy
07-31-2007, 16:57

If you're trying to communicate that much info underwater then you're communicating too much. I dove with you out on rescue weekend and we never needed a slate, we communicated just fine. I don't dive with one but I do own 2. One is the forearm/wrist mount slate which is great but I find I just don't need them any longer. The other was a standard slate and I ditched it because it was flopping all over the place like yours. Although it might soon be resurrected so I can do white balance underwater. I'll be using one of my brigade pockets for storage. See, there are reasons for not going to a BP/W :D.

ianr33
07-31-2007, 17:42
[quote=Vercingetorix;13370] See, there are reasons for not going to a BP/W :D.

No reasons that a pair of X-Shorts can't fix though :biggrinbounce2:

plot
07-31-2007, 18:30
I hated the wrist slate... pretty much had to take it off and pass it around for people to read. The big slate I had clipped off doesn't really bother me, but I never use it.

I opt for hand signals now... and if I really want to write underwater, I make sure to remind my buddy to carry a slate, then I just use his. ;)

tbush
08-03-2007, 10:12
Ive tried several mounts & I think Ill give a wrist mount a try as well.

CompuDude
08-03-2007, 12:07
Wetnotes in the pocket.

I had one of those curved wrist slates, but I got tired of having to put yet another piece of gear every time I suited up.

For classes, I think a small slate with some velcro is a great idea, though.