PDA

View Full Version : Last minute gear purchasing.

wolfen42
03-11-2008, 08:43
Ok, So my wife and I are heading down to Florida on March 21st to get our PADI open water and advanced open water certifications. (assuming all goes well)

We currently have masks, snorkles, and fins and that's it.

Tonight we are heading to the LDS to try on wetsuits.

If the LDS doesn't have what we need in stock, is Scubatoys pretty good about how they handle returns? I mean, if we buy several different sizes or even brands of wetsuit to try on and only keep one pair, will we be in for an unpleasant experience?

(I'm assuming some potential sizing issues since I'm definitely not at my ideal weight and my wife is exactly 6'1" tall like I am)

No Misses
03-11-2008, 09:06
Wolfen42, I am a big believer in doing as much business as possible with ScubaToys. However, Wet suits are one of those things that I like to try on before I buy. I am not sure what part of the country your LDS is in, so I have no idea what they stock. Water temps in Florida right now ranges from 60-75F. For me this calls for a minimum of 5 mil suit (I am tall & thin = cool off quickly). When suits get this thick, fit is crucial. If you can't find what you need at your LDS, there are a bunch of them in FL. One of them will have a suit that fits.

What part of FL are you going to? Somebody here on the forum may be able to give you more relevent info about local conditions.

Here is the link to Weather Underground. Their marine forcasts are pretty good. Marine Forecast : Weather Underground (http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AM/080.html)

You could also try NOAA http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/fmtbltn.pl?file=forecasts/marine/coastal/am/amz650.txt

Good luck.

wolfen42
03-11-2008, 09:19
We're going to be diving at Devils Den and Blue Grotto? Apparently they are near Williston.

If anyone has any suggestions on shops to check out down there that would be really great! :) (said the hopeless newbie)

No Misses
03-11-2008, 09:32
OK. Now we have something to go with :-)

The water temp is 72F all year at devil's Den. I have dived similar (Ginnie Springs) with just a 3mil one piece. Since this will be training and there is a good chance that you will be "hanging out", while other students perform their "Stupid Human Tricks" (remove & replace mask, fin pivot, etc.), you may want to opt for a little bit warmer suit. A 3 mil farmer john gives you 6 mil over your core. Another good choice would be to add a core warmer with hood or beenie to a 3 mil one piece. A 5 mil suit would not be out of the question. A 7 mil would be too much IMHO.

Hopefully someone from that area will chime in with more info.

Good Luck

mark44883
03-11-2008, 10:07
that will be warm water mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nice

wolfen42
03-11-2008, 13:53
Thanks, I hadn't thought about the option of layering a partial suit to get a little extra warmth. Though it sounds like the water should be quite nice :)

Zyxistal
03-11-2008, 17:55
Wolfen,

We just went down there recently and the water at both should be a constant 72 degrees since its all spring fed. We were both comfortable in the water in 3 mil suits but once you get out of the water you may want something warm to put on to keep up your core temp.

ScubaToys Larry
03-11-2008, 18:07
No problem on returns. Many people order 2 sizes and return the one they don't want. But just by calling and asking - we've put enough people in suits - we can probably nail it for you. And if we suggest the wrong size - we'll pay the shipping both ways to make sure you get what you want.

mark44883
03-11-2008, 21:45
now that sound like a far deal wow you guy are the bomb

Doug B
03-11-2008, 22:15
Wolfen,

We just went down there recently and the water at both should be a constant 72 degrees since its all spring fed. We were both comfortable in the water in 3 mil suits but once you get out of the water you may want something warm to put on to keep up your core temp.

I was in Key Largo in March 2007. Water temp was about 73 in most places. I wore a 7mil suit there. Yep, I was hot for the first 5 to 10 minutes of the dive, but I was comfortable 80 minutes later as well. No hood or gloves.

My buddy and I were doing four (sometimes five) tanks each day. I'm glad I had the thicker suit... kept my core temperature perfect.... never had the feeling that I was cold all week. I hate being cold.

I could have worn a 3 or 5 mil, but I think I would have been cold on the third and fourth dives.

johnyringo
03-11-2008, 22:31
No problem on returns. Many people order 2 sizes and return the one they don't want. But just by calling and asking - we've put enough people in suits - we can probably nail it for you. And if we suggest the wrong size - we'll pay the shipping both ways to make sure you get what you want.

Beat that deal!

wolfen42
03-11-2008, 23:38

Very cool. It looks like we'll probably end up renting our suits since they have Bare suits available for rental that we tried on today. At least we'll know for sure what suits to order after we've gone on a dive in them :)

Now to order all the other fun bits from Y'all :)