View Full Version : Gear/Flood Insurance

03-11-2008, 10:51
Is it possible to get flood insurance for your camera? Is it a separate policy or just a rider on your homeowner's policy?

03-11-2008, 11:15
I got flood insurance on my camera gear through H2OInsurance through DAN.

Take a look at www.H2OInsurance.com and see what you think. I'm sure there are others, but they're the only ones that I've used. Prices seemed reasonable to me - based on the worth of the gear you're covering.


03-11-2008, 19:51
DAN's gear insurance (separate policy from medical) and DEPP (http://www.awryinc.com/index.html) are the two most commonly used gear insurance items.

Check with your insurance agent to see if you can get coverage from your homeowners policy. Be extra certain that flood claims on a $300 camera don't mess up your standing with your homeowner's insurance, though!

Personally, I like to keep the two separate.

03-11-2008, 21:58
I have camera insurance via USAA. I also have homeowner's insurance via USAA. I did double check that they are separate policies and a claim on one does not affect the other. I asked several times if mulitple claims on my "Valuable Personal Property" would affect homeowners, and she said "No". I even have something to that affect saved in an email.

FYI, I have full cost insurance (what I paid for it) with no deductible. It costs me $2 a month. It is nice to know that if my camera floods, I can get a new one with a $0 deductible.

03-12-2008, 19:48
I also have a homeowners rider on my equipment - over $5500 replacement value - $ 55/yr. No deductible; covers loss/theft as well as flood. A much better deal that DAN/DEPP IMHO.