PDA

View Full Version : WTB Speargun

carriersanders
03-12-2008, 20:40
I want to buy a speargun for my boy friend because that is pretty much all he talks about. I dont have a lot of money being a college student so dont bother to offer me a really expensive gun. I don't know anything about them but he will probably be using it off the coast of NC and SC. He already has a really little one, but he wants a bigger one. If you can help a girl out I would be much obliged.
Thanks,
Carrie

cmburch
03-12-2008, 21:10
A speargun can be a personal item that only the user could make the correct choice. There is a member on SB and ST forums Trey9123 that is leaning towards a JBL Woody Sawed-off about $200. Just click on his name to follow the advice he received for his speargun selection. I do not know if ST carries it in their shop, but with 10% forum member discount and $50/250post certificate it may be affordable. It may be easier to search for the specific desired speargun on the internet. ebay jbl woody.

carriersanders
03-12-2008, 21:27
Trey9123 is my boyfriend. Every time I decide to buy him a present he has already bought if for himself. What a Jerk.

No Misses
03-12-2008, 21:40
He already has a really little one, but he wants a bigger one. If you can help a girl out I would be much obliged.
Thanks,
Carrie

Carrie, it is late and I can not help laughing at your choice of words :smilie39:

There are so many option when choosing a speargun.
-Will he be line shafting or free shafting?
-What visibility is expected off SC? Go with a short gun for poor vis. If the Vis is 30'+ then a long range gun may be best.
-What is the target species?

I use a Spearfish specialties 48" Rhino with spare shaft holder when I am lobstering and Spearfishing. With the spare shaft installed it is heavy enough to lay on the bottom while I catch lobsters.

My favorite gun is my Riffe Euro 110x. It is perfectly neutral in salt water. I can let go of it on my safety stop and it just hangs there in the water column. It has a thin shaft that is lazer accurate.

For freediving I use an Aimrite 110 with reel. The reel lets fight the fish from the surface.

As you can see, there is no perfect gun for every situation. Let him hunt with the gun that he has until he decides what will work best for his style of hunting. Of course, if the real reason for getting "him" a new gun is so that you can have the little one, then by all means get him one that you will like.
:smiley20:

cmburch
03-12-2008, 21:47
Trey9123 is my boyfriend. Every time I decide to buy him a present he has already bought if for himself. What a Jerk.

Men do not need expensive gifts. Spending time with a special person or friend on the occasion at a favorite location or doing a favorite activity will be remembered for years to come. He may enjoy an inexpensive pole spear.

carriersanders
03-12-2008, 21:57
Try telling him that, he wants everything.

Trey9123
03-12-2008, 22:48
Honey, cmburch gives terrible advice. If you do not give men expensive gifts they will think that you do not love them. This will drive them to drink... and drinking will drive the to start thinking that the 40 year old bar maid is pretty cute... and well you get my point. Men need to feel loved and the best way to show them how much you love them is to by them expensive, high powered, deadly gifts.

elijahb
05-02-2008, 17:53
why not get him a gift certificate for scuba toys and tell him it is for a spear gun

Splitlip
05-02-2008, 18:05

Men do not need expensive gifts. Spending time with a special person or friend on the occasion at a favorite location or doing a favorite activity will be remembered for years to come. He may enjoy an inexpensive pole spear.

Yeah. You can take him out for a nice chicken Ceasar salad at your special place then you can rent an old black and white romance and have a good cry watching it together.

while you paint each others' toe nails.

Oh come on. I KNOW this guy.

Largo
05-02-2008, 21:08
"I want to buy a speargun for my boy friend"

YOU ARE THE BEST GIRLFRIEND, EVER!!!