PDA

View Full Version : Neosport wetsuits

Venio
07-31-2007, 14:05
I was looking on the Neosport wetsuits that ST sells and particularly the 7 mil one http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Neo7MilJohnJacket. It says it's by Henderson and also the price is pretty good. Now, how good are those wetsuits? I see the Bare 7 mil goes for more then 275, so what's the catch?

medic001918
07-31-2007, 14:51
I have a neosport 3/2 suit that I use for vacation dives, so it's not used that frequently. It seems to do the job okay. I also have a Bare Velocity 7/6 wetsuit that I love. It's a great suit, and the quality is definatly higher than than the neosport. But the neosport was purchased for little money, and the Bare was considerably more expensive.

Now that I have my drysuit though, the wetsuit hasn't really seen the dive site's much...except when my fiance was tired and grabbed my wetsuit by accident one morning and put it in her bag. She was not happy when she had to go home and grab her's...good thing we were only 30 min from home.

Shane

ReefHound
07-31-2007, 14:54
The Neosport is as cheap as is gets, they do the job for awhile but don't expect them to last years and years. They may not fall apart but will get compressed rather quickly.

boat
08-05-2007, 16:54
I got one of those Neosports last year and thinks it's great. I don't know how long it will last but for the price I don't think you can go wrong. It doesn't have frills like arm or leg zippers but it does have knee pads and some extra padding on the back.

creggur
08-06-2007, 06:32
Just got the Neosport 4/3 from ST.. Only dove it a couple of times, and so far very pleased with it.... Of course my only comparison is to an ill-fitting farmer john rental during training, so I guess anything would be an improvement over that..

Dive-aholic
08-06-2007, 06:38
I'd recommend a one piece jumpsuit type of wetsuit rather than a 2 piece. Even with only one 7mm layer, it will keep you much warmer than the 2 piece. It will also cut down on the bulk and required weight.

boat
08-06-2007, 07:30
Even with only one 7mm layer, it will keep you much warmer than the 2 piece.

Who told you that?

Dive-aholic
08-06-2007, 08:24
It's my experience. I owned the 2 piece and I now own a 1 piece. I'm much warmer in my 1 piece than I ever was in my 2 piece. The 2 piece doesn't hold water well, so it doesn't allow the water to warm up enough to keep you warm. My 1 piece fits well and seals better.

rainmaker
08-06-2007, 08:58
I bought a full-length 4/3 Neosport from ST about 3 years ago. I've used it in the FL Keys, local lakes, Belize, Mexico and Honduras and I really like it. I think that ST has sold a bunch of them, because I see them a lot on dive boats. If I bother to ask, the diver wearing it usually says he or she bought it at ST.

boat
08-06-2007, 09:36
Rob,

I would guess then that it was more a matter of fit, because 14mm of insulation over your core vs. 7mm is what it is. My two piece holds water very well, I'll unzip it sometimes to cool off. I definitely agree with you about a farmer john/jacket 7mm being bulky and requiring a lot of weight. You guys are both down south - I wouldn't use one unless I had to. The buoyancy shift at depth can be a pain.

creggur
08-06-2007, 09:47
I bought a full-length 4/3 Neosport from ST about 3 years ago. I've used it in the FL Keys, local lakes, Belize, Mexico and Honduras and I really like it. I think that ST has sold a bunch of them, because I see them a lot on dive boats. If I bother to ask, the diver wearing it usually says he or she bought it at ST.

Good to see somebody using it in a variety of conditions... I went with the 4/3 'cause I'm a bit of a cold wimp, being from Florida and all..

Foo2
08-06-2007, 17:22
it's good to hear about somebody's experience with the neosport. I am looking to get either the neosport or the brigade. I'm still trying to make up my mind. Do you guys know anything about the brigade?

thor
08-06-2007, 17:37
I'd recommend a one piece jumpsuit type of wetsuit rather than a 2 piece. Even with only one 7mm layer, it will keep you much warmer than the 2 piece. It will also cut down on the bulk and required weight.

The theory is that you have 7mm of material around your core and another 7mm with the jacket, when using a farmer john, which gives you 14mm around your core. This "should" give you a warmer core than a regular 7mm fullsuit, however I have been warmer with a 7mm fullsuit than a farmer john, but only because the fit for me was better with the Bare fullsuit than the farmer john. Fit makes all the difference.

Dive-aholic
08-06-2007, 23:15
Rob,

I would guess then that it was more a matter of fit, because 14mm of insulation over your core vs. 7mm is what it is. My two piece holds water very well, I'll unzip it sometimes to cool off. I definitely agree with you about a farmer john/jacket 7mm being bulky and requiring a lot of weight. You guys are both down south - I wouldn't use one unless I had to. The buoyancy shift at depth can be a pain.

It is about fit, but the 2 piece neosport doesn't create enough of a seem around the neck to do much to minimize water movement. The zipper doesn't go right to the end and there's no flap inside to seal it. I understand about the insulation, but I've been in 57 degree water in my old 2 piece and been cold. I've been in 57 degree water in my 1 piece and feel just fine. I do add insulation in colder water. I have a 3mm hooded vest. Sometimes I'll even through a 3mm shortie under my 7mm.

boat
08-07-2007, 07:39
Rob,

You're right about the neck seal but typically when you need a full 7mm john/jacket you're also using a cold style hood (ie with a cowl). I guess it's just my perspective being up here in Michigan. (We dove a small inland lake last week and it was 43 deg.) When I dove Vortex Springs earlier this year I wore the jacket over a 2 mm surf shirt just to keep water from circulating in it. I still got cold - I should have worn a beanie of some sort.

Dive-aholic
08-07-2007, 07:53
That's true. But my hood never stayed tucked. I guess I just moved my head around too much and the skirt would keep popping out. I now wear a dry hood even when wet because I just can't seem to keep the skirt in!

namabiru
08-07-2007, 16:08
I have a 4/3 Neosport I bought from crazyscuba.com when they had their moving sale, and I've dived it in Cozumel and use it as an 'under' wetsuit for the cold water stuff-- Arizona and Montana. I like it because the size is correct (I have trouble with this), and for the price, you can't beat it.

I suppose, though, it depends on how much you use your suit. If you were diving quite frequently, you might consider a higher-up suit.

ScaredSilly
08-12-2007, 12:02
I bought a One Sport 4/3 suit and now have around 50 dives on it mostly in warmer waters 78-82. It is holding up well. The only thing I have notice is that there is a small tear in the neck starting probably from putting it on and off. For a the price it was worth it.