PDA

View Full Version : Blue Heron Bridge

the gooch
07-10-2007, 12:55
I am very interested in doing this dive at night but have never been. Should I go and make a dive during the day to get a feel for the place or would I be o.k. tackling it for the first time at night? Anyone experienced with this spot have any pointers besides being in the water 20 mins prior to high tide?

HoosierDaddy
07-10-2007, 15:51
I dove Blue Heron Bridge once during the day right around High Tide. I would HIGHLY suggest you dive it during the day prior to trying it at nite.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>There are several HAZARDS: The bridge will have peple fishing on top of it, the current can be strong under the bridge, there is some boat traffic and piers nearby. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It was a nice easy dive the day we dove it, plenty of fish, octopus, seahorses, starfish, urchins and the like. Even a little wreck of a speadboat.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The park there is great, plenty of parking, the lot is lighted and bathrooms are on site.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Try a google search for Blue Heron Bridge or Phil Foster Park, it should provide plenty of info...</DIV>

the gooch
07-10-2007, 21:58
I have seen the wadspage web site before, thanks for the link. Guess I will give it a go in the day to get used to the area and then give it a shot at night. I was trying to avoid the crowds during the day that gather during the weekend but better to play it safe.

HoosierDaddy
07-11-2007, 16:23
Please post after your dives. I would like to know how different the day dive was from the night dive...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>What do you have for lights?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Take a dive float...</DIV>

the gooch
07-11-2007, 19:41
Will definitely post up when I do the dive(s). No worries on the float--always use one when shore diving.

As far as lights: I use a UK SL4 and a UK mini on my mask strap.

HoosierDaddy
07-12-2007, 13:32
Have you done many night dives?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>We made one attempt in the Gulf on a full moon with several lights. The problem was with the surge and wave action. We aborted the dive 5 min in. We made it about 8ft depth.Too disoreinted to continue. That is the only time I have ever called a dive, also the only time I have not felt comfortable diving.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I would like to try again, with calm seas. I still might not be 100% comfortable in the dark...</DIV>

the gooch
07-12-2007, 17:54
I have done my fare share. Always best to thumb a dive at night if you feel uneasy about anything. You might want to try getting in the water just as the sun is setting when it is still a little light out. Lots of cool stuff happens when the reef critters change guard.

kevinj1
07-27-2007, 18:09
The way I got used to night diving was to go shore diving at sunset. You swim out with sunlight but you swim in in the dark with flashlights. I could not believe how many nurse sharks I saw at sunset in Ft. Lauderdale.
After 3-4 sunset dives. I did one complete night, shore dive to make sure of my comfort level. Then I started night, boat diving.
It was a slower process but well worth it.