PDA

View Full Version : Kickapoo Park IL

coyote
03-13-2008, 13:32
While hunting for a place to get wet this weekend I came across this on the Illinois DNR website:

“Kickapoo is unique in that it is one of only a few state parks and recreation areas in Illinois allowing scuba diving. Divers who register and who show proper certification may dive in the clear, deep waters of Inland Sea and Sportsman's Lake.”

Looks like it in east-central Illinois just a few miles from Danville.
Anyone do any diving here?

I’m determined to dive this weekend even if it requires sneaking into the neighbors’ pool, local water tower, waste treatment plant...I'm not picky.

Here’s the Link: DNR (http://www.dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/parks/r3/kickapoo.htm)

skdvr
03-13-2008, 13:51
If you head up there post a report. I would be interested in making a trip up there sometime. If I were not heading to Table Rock Lake this weekend I would make the trip with ya...

Phil

tc_rain
03-16-2008, 21:41
I have dove Sportsman lake once and have no urge to do it again. Sportsman lake is a far cry from clear water. When I was there I would say the vis was around 4' at its best. Haigh or Mermet is worth the extra miles to dive.

scbagrrl74
03-27-2008, 22:07
We went to Kickapoo last July, and didn't end up diving there. It just looked like a mudpuddle!

tc_rain
03-28-2008, 06:17
We went to Kickapoo last July, and didn't end up diving there. It just looked like a mudpuddle!

Very good description.

coyote
03-28-2008, 07:15
Thanks for the heads up!

I'm not above diving in a mud puddle, but we have plenty of those closer than a two hour drive.

tc_rain
03-28-2008, 20:22
Some place you might want to try is Pearl Lake if you haven’t been there yet. When the vis is good, it’s a great dive. Plus it’s not too far from Normal.

scbagrrl74
03-29-2008, 00:52
Some place you might want to try is Pearl Lake if you haven’t been there yet. When the vis is good, it’s a great dive. Plus it’s not too far from Normal.

What town is Pearl Lake in?

DarinMartell
03-29-2008, 11:24
Pearl Lake is in South Beloit (Just north of Rockford). Pearl Lake Home Page (http://www.pearllake.com/frameset.htm)

It is where I did my checkout dives and will go back a couple times this summer. It has A-LOT of toys sunk, Airplane, Sub, School Bus, bunch of boats, statues, etc.. Here is a map I fopund on the web.

coyote
03-29-2008, 19:49

Pearl Lake is really nice and always worth the drive.:smiley20: Looks like they open April 25th.

scbagrrl74
03-29-2008, 23:20
Guess Pearl Lake is a bit far from us for a quick one day dive. We're in northeast Missouri. Although, we are working on our "diving extravaganza" trip we take the week of the Fourth of July maybe we should include that in one of our stops. Last year we did a big lasso from here up to Haigh Quarry then over to Portage in Ohio and back through Kickapoo.
Anyone know of any other cool spots to dive around Pearl Lake? We like to get in a different spot each day!
We are also considering heading south to Tenkiller Lake in Oklahoma. Any thoughts on that?

DarinMartell
03-30-2008, 12:10
Guess Pearl Lake is a bit far from us for a quick one day dive. We're in northeast Missouri. Although, we are working on our "diving extravaganza" trip we take the week of the Fourth of July maybe we should include that in one of our stops. Last year we did a big lasso from here up to Haigh Quarry then over to Portage in Ohio and back through Kickapoo.
Anyone know of any other cool spots to dive around Pearl Lake? We like to get in a different spot each day!
We are also considering heading south to Tenkiller Lake in Oklahoma. Any thoughts on that?

About 30 min east is Lake Geneva WI, about 1 hour East is Lake MI, about 2 hours North is Lake Wazee (sp?) WI

cummings66
03-30-2008, 18:22
Have you been to Beaver Lake, or Table Rock Lake? On the 4th it's busy there with divers and others...

scbagrrl74
03-30-2008, 23:21
Have you been to Beaver Lake, or Table Rock Lake? On the 4th it's busy there with divers and others...

We have dove in Table Rock lake, twice. Our first time was the very first time we ever dove; we did a "discover scuba" class at the Indian Point Marina. It was pretty cool, checked out a shipwreck, and of course, we were HOOKED!! Last year we dove the dam at TRL; it was pretty cool too. It was pretty cold, first dive of the year for us (March 1st)--just 7mm wetsuits!

Haven't been to Beaver Lake, but we've considered that along with Norfork.

Can you dive Beaver without a boat?