PDA

View Full Version : Tanks on Ebay

Taigin
03-13-2008, 15:44
I took a look on EBay for scuba tanks, and there seems to be a large number out there.

Do you guys consider it safe to order tanks on EBay?

I understand that whatever I buy should be checked out by a Dive Shop before use.

Would there be warranty issues? (Is there a warranty on tanks?)

Thanks in advance.

CompuDude
03-13-2008, 15:48
Not really any warranty on tanks, beyond perhaps a 30 day policy offered by a shop. Manuf. defects that are covered a pretty rare anyway.

The issues are two-fold:

1) Recourse if the tank is bad. Can you trust people on eBay to sell a good tank that passes vis and hydro? It's your money to gamble... only you can answer this one. But the need to vis, hydro and perhaps tumble a tank adds a LOT to the cost. Are you still saving money?

2) Shipping. Tanks are heavy. Shipping them often offsets much of the price savings over buying a tank locally.

I prefer Craigslist, local swap meets, etc., when it comes to eBay, at least for buying tanks. There are some things that eBay just isn't great with.

cmburch
03-13-2008, 15:59
I saw one of those TV Judge Somebody shows where a poor guy bought a used ebay tank and was suing the seller for false advertising. The tank looked terrible. I tend to only buy new with warranty on ebay. I noticed some nice looking Sherwoods, but do not know if it is some old stock. I recently got a good deal on craigslist on a couple of tanks. Oh you're in Hawaii. I do not know if you have craigslist there - yes there is one and there is a lot of SCUBA gear available. May be best to check the big swap meet on Saturdays.

Damselfish
03-13-2008, 16:07
I agree for used tanks you're better off dealing locally. I'm sure there are eBay situations where it all works out, but between shipping costs and possible problems it will often not be worth it.

The other issue, related to bad tanks, is that you might find some (a lot?) of tanks out there made of the bad 6351 AL alloy (assuming you're looking at aluminum.) These can be difficult to get filled even if they do pass hydro etc. Some people may be trying to dump them to unknowing buyers. Others just don't know, they're selling a tank someone gave them and sat in their garage for years that they know nothing about. So you'd want to get a picture of the markings on the tank and verify for yourself that's not an issue.

Here's a couple previous threads that may be useful:
http://forum.scubatoys.com/tanks/1596-what-look-used-tanks.html
http://forum.scubatoys.com/tanks/2492-luxfer-6351-a.html

RoyN
03-13-2008, 16:36
The shipping cost for the tanks are also horrible too! Now only is it a burden for the buyer, but for the seller too.

skdvr
03-13-2008, 16:47
Here is a pretty good deal (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-STEEL-SCUBA-TANK-HP-100-CU-FT-FREE-SHIPPING_W0QQitemZ130205451853QQihZ003QQcategoryZ1 6057QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) on a new tank. The shipping would not be free to Hi, but for anyone in CONUS it is a pretty solid deal...

Phil

awap
03-13-2008, 16:55
Savings on tanks on ebay do not seem to be that great. Many of those Aluminum tanks were made before 1990 and, regardless of the type aluminum, more and more shops are just refusing to fill them even if hydro and vis are current. Why don't you look on craiglist.com and find something local.

cummings66
03-13-2008, 17:55
In general, buy your tank from Scubatoys. They will typically be cheaper than that ebay tank anyways, especially when you toss in the inflated shipping charges.

Sometimes you'll find a good deal on a tank, but not often.

cummings66
03-13-2008, 18:19
I wanted to add, when you look at tanks on ebay, get all the numbers you can off the tank so you know what you're buying. Pay attention to things like Hydro date(s) and the DOT numbers.

Crimediver
03-13-2008, 18:49
Craigslist is the best deal for local tanks. I saw a bunch of tanks a few weeks ago in Hawaii for 20 bucks each. The guy had about a dozen of them. Scrap weight is worth more than not including the valve.

If you go with eBay, do an advanced search and get tanks within a certain mile radius of your location and contact the seller to see if you can look at them prior to bidding and get local pick-up. Many sellers don't want to ship and prefer pickups locally. Save big bucks doing it this way. 1989 and earlier on Luxfer tanks-Don't buy as they are 6351 alloy.
I would not bid on tanks from cave country as they may have been overfilled and may not pass hydro. Steel tanks should be suspect if they are not pressurized as rust may be a problem. A current viz/hydro is a good indicator that it may be a good deal depending on price.

Avoid repainted tanks.

I personally want to kick the tires, so to speak. I want to inspect the inside and do my own viz before buying.

jbres1
03-13-2008, 21:29
I have purchased and sold tanks on E-bay, and was happy on both ends of the sale.
I have found that you don't really save very much on tanks thru E-bay.
I have purchased new tanks from Scuba Toys, Divers Direct, and TDL for not much more that the e-bay prices.
When you buy on E-bay, make sure the hydro is current and has a good 3 to 4 years left till the next hydro.
If you do purchase on E-bay you need to think about the cost of a Vis ($10.00 to $15.00)and a hydro ($15.00 to $30.00)into the price.

Jim Breslin

cummings66
03-14-2008, 07:15
Don't forget that you may need a vis on a tank you get online as well, many dive shops won't trust the sticker of a non local.

mark44883
03-14-2008, 09:56
buy new!!!!!!!!!

terrillja
03-14-2008, 09:59
Don't forget that you may need a vis on a tank you get online as well, many dive shops won't trust the sticker of a non local.Agreed. I had a shop owner refuse to fill a cylinder without a vis thought it had a 1mo old ST vis sticker on it. He said he had never heard of ST and could not trust the vis. Seriously, who isn the dive biz has not heard of ST?

So even with online bought tanks the shop can be a PITA.

No Misses
03-14-2008, 10:10
I know someone that will sell you a brand new HP Steel x7-100 for $310.50. His Name is Larry. He owns a place called Scuba Toys.

List price $345
Forum Discount 10% ($34.50)
Cost to you $310.50

BSea
03-14-2008, 10:11
I have bought tanks on e-bay, but they were a vintage set that are hard to find. It's really hard to justify buying used tanks on ebay. I've bought several used tanks locally with current hydro, so if your patient, you should be able to find something locally. In fact the 2 tanks in my avitar are tanks I bought for $50 each from my LDS. They had a hydro that was a year old, and they threw in a current VIP.

Note: The price didn't include the manifold or bands.

h2odragon1
03-14-2008, 11:35
Thing to consider when buying tanks or any scuba on E-Bay.
Initial cost + shipping + having it checked out at your LDS, you may have to throw your purchase away. Don't spend too much! I have seen the tanks go for $80 - $90, add shipping ~$35 and then hydro $40 for my LDS, you might be better off buying the used tanks from your LDS, at least they know you as a customer, and may not want to shaft you.

MSilvia
03-14-2008, 11:40
I got burned on a bad tank deal on eBay. It looked like a bargain, until I saw the rustbucket I got up close. Never had a problem with Craigslist tanks though.

h2odragon1
03-14-2008, 11:41
I have made purchases from Craiglist and viewed the tanks first.
1st. al 80 $40 + $40 hydro/vis good tank
2nd 72 ft steel attempted hydro/vis, tank came back 'CONDEMNED'
steel tank was part of a three item all sales final, as-is. other items
worked out great!

CaptainRon
03-14-2008, 11:52
Don't forget that you may need a vis on a tank you get online as well, many dive shops won't trust the sticker of a non local.Agreed. I had a shop owner refuse to fill a cylinder without a vis thought it had a 1mo old ST vis sticker on it. He said he had never heard of ST and could not trust the vis. Seriously, who isn the dive biz has not heard of ST?

They complain when we don't buy all our equipment from them, then they refuse our business when we do patronize their establishment. I'll never understand the thought process there.

in_cavediver
03-14-2008, 16:07

They complain when we don't buy all our equipment from them, then they refuse our business when we do patronize their establishment. I'll never understand the thought process there.

I think it harkens back to the day when LDS controlled access to the dive market. They see it as punishing you with 'unusable' equipment. To bad you really don't need them to make it usable anymore.......

Free market economics will catch up soon.