PDA

View Full Version : Assembling Reg, Computer, and Octo

Trey9123
03-13-2008, 21:02
This is probably a really stupid question...but I'm going to ask it anyways. I have been piecing together gear for the last couple of months, doing a lot of bargain shopping. I'm about to buy a reg, and I already have an octo and a computer console. My question is, when I get my reg, can I just screw my octo and computer into the first stage and tighten them down with a wrench and be good to go or is their something special I need to do. I have inspected the o-rings and they look good. If I just do this assembly myself will it be safe.
Thanks in advance for helping
Trey

Splitlip
03-13-2008, 21:12
Tighten just beyond hand tight. Don't want to trash the o-ring or strip anything.

jbres1
03-13-2008, 21:19
You could put this rig together without much trouble if you have an allen wrench for the 1st stage plugs, some small wrenches for the low pressure and high pressure hoses, and some lube for the o-rings and threads.
But putting it together and it working sometimes are far apart.
Well the first question is, are the parts new or used ?
Do you have any way of testing the set up once you have put it together ?
Do you have an air supply to test the setup?
Some pool time would be one very smart thing to do before you dive this new set up.
Jim breslin

Trey9123
03-13-2008, 21:22
The gear is new, the other answers are all no. Do you think that I should send it off to someone for assembly, and if yes, who should I send it too. On a side note, will all of the ports which do not have gear attached to them have to be plugged? Should I be ordering plugs for the ports I will not be using?

Crimediver
03-13-2008, 21:23
Most regs can be assembled this way w/o problems but may need some tuning. The IP may be different for different regs. As long as the IP in the first stage is set in the proper range for both regs you will be OK.

What brand / model regs are you setting up?

Splitlip
03-13-2008, 21:26
The gear is new, the other answers are all no. Do you think that I should send it off to someone for assembly, and if yes, who should I send it too. On a side note, will all of the ports which do not have gear attached to them have to be plugged? Should I be ordering plugs for the ports I will not be using?

You cannot dive nor even pressurize with open ports.
Your first stage should have all required plugs when you purchase it.

Trey9123
03-13-2008, 21:29
Well, I'm still shopping for a reg, I think that I'm going to end up with a Mares MR 12 Proton Regulator unless I find a better deal in the next week or so. I have a Oceanic Veo 100 Dive Computer Console and a Genesis Slimline Inline Octo that I want to attach to it. On a side note, what is IP?

Crimediver
03-13-2008, 21:29
The first stage ports should be plugged. Remove plugs to screw in the appropriate hoses. Some earlier regs had HP and LP all 3/8 inch ports. Beware if you have this configuration so you don't screw in a LP hose into a HP port. Scew up and hilarity will ensue and you will get whipped like a rented mule...
Plug all unused ports to avoid noisy bubbling.

Trey9123
03-13-2008, 21:30
So yes or no, should I do this myself or let a professional handle it. I don't want to get whipped like a mule.

Crimediver
03-13-2008, 21:32
IP is the intermediate presure. It reduces the high pressure from the tank to around 125-145 psi give or take a bit depending on manufacturer. This IP is what is delivered to the second stage which is then reduced to ambient pressure.

Crimediver
03-13-2008, 21:32
Normally you can do it yourself.

Crimediver
03-13-2008, 21:36
Nowadays the HP ports anfd the LP ports are different sizes and you should have no mixups. The ports should be marked with HP for high pressure. This HP port is where your SPG hose goes. The rest should be LP hoses for your regs and BC inflator hose or drysuit hose

keyshunter
03-14-2008, 05:31
Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you do not know the answers to the above questions (IP, port plugs, etc.), you probably should not be assembling your own gear. Even if the reg you buy does not need adjustment (some do, some don't), you will need to tune your octo to the first stage. A simple task if one knows how. Not so simple if one does not. There is more to properly assembling a reg than screwing in the hoses.

cmburch
03-14-2008, 11:52
I did not know what an IP or port plug was when I attached my inflator hose and Octo on my USD Reg over 10 years ago. I just followed the directions in the manual and talk with the dive shop owner. But for someone that is not proficient and competent to do the work themselves, professional dive shop service is a must. At my work I have had people I thought I trusted, strip or overtighten parts that cost hundreds and even thousands of dollars. Or forget an o-ring that caused over $3K in damage.

BobbyWombat
03-14-2008, 12:18
So yes or no, should I do this myself or let a professional handle it. I don't want to get whipped like a mule.

Trey, it shouldn't be much $$ to have your LDS put this together for you. You get the peace of mind knowing that it got put together correctly, and checked out by the dive shop (they will check the hose pressure (IP) and crack pressure on your octo and primary reg).

Your LDS should be more than happy to do this for FREE if you buy the primary reg for them. ST, for instance, does this. You can have them do this by mail (I did, when first getting my reg set up).

If you don't mind spending a bit extra, you get peace of mind. However, connecting the hoses is easy, if you decide to do it yourself. Just hand tighten, then take a wrench and go like 1/8th of a turn more (just 'over' hand tightened is the rule). Over tightening is NOT GOOD...you could strip the threads, so just a little over hand tight, ok? No lube or anything is necessary.

You will need to visualize where all the hoses are going to be routed when you put it together. Pictures from magazines, etc.. can help with this. Primary and Octo are low pressure, and come around your right side when suited up. SPG is high pressure, BC inflator hose (don't forget you need one of these!) is low pressure, come around your left side when suited up. HP and LP hoses now have different size connectors, so it should be obvious which is which...but you should get some instructions with your primary reg. All of the ports will be "plugged" with the new reg, so you don't need to buy any, but any ports not used need to be plugged or the 1st stage will leak air like crazy.

If you run into trouble, just take some pics and post them up. There are plenty of folks here who would be happy to help you out.

All that said, my recommendation is to have a professional do it. Get whoever you buy the primary from to put it together for you for free, or pay for a little extra for peace of mind.

Good luck!

-BW

Trey9123
03-14-2008, 23:18
I bought this inline octo, https://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=divecenter&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=75145900&Count2=992286324&Keyword=inline+octo&Target=products.asp, so I do not think that I need a high pressure hose. I just need it, my second stage and my computer console connected.

Splitlip
03-15-2008, 06:02
the octo/inflator and 2nd stage will be connected to LP ports. The console with it's SPG will be connected to a HP port.

Best way to figure the correct routing is to mount the 1st stage on a cylinder with the opening in the valve facing the back of your head.
Your 2nd stage comes off LP port on the right. (if you are using a long hose, it would likely come off a bottom LP port if the 1st stage is so equiped.) The octo/inflator comes off LP on the left. The console will come off a HP port. Left side is traditional and prefered by most.