PDA

View Full Version : OK, so I gotta brag just a bit!

DollFin
03-14-2008, 00:09
I went diving out of Gulf Shores on Sunday - there were 5 divers signed up. We had 3-5' seas that day. Midway to the 1st site, the captain decided to ditch that one as there was another site that would make for a bit smoother ride. We got there, however the DM reported that viz was less than 2', so we headed for a 3rd site - good vis, however on the decent, we discovered the boat had broken loose from where the DM had tied in, so we had to return while the DM re secured the boat. By this time, 3 out of the 5 divers had succumbed to seasickness and decided not to dive, leaving just me, my buddy and the DM. We headed back down and had a GORGEOUS 85' dive - my 10th, dive, and deepest to date! I felt bad for the 3 who couldn't make it, but at the same time, I was proud that I, the new diver and with a "disability", was able to do it! :)

cmburch
03-14-2008, 02:33
Sounds great! I would probably have been stuck on the boat wishing I was back on shore. I clicked on your profile; I did not notice any disability, though I could not see your left foot. I did not know what an SMB was so I checked the ST site and then noticed that there is one in your picture as well as a SCUBA tank. My boss was at Pittcon last week. He said New Orleans seemed to be recovering well at least where he and his wife stayed.

DivingCRNA
03-14-2008, 04:55
If I was sea sick, I would WANT to get in the water. It makes the waves go away when you descend....

nicely done DollFin!

OTGav
03-14-2008, 06:12
If I was sea sick, I would WANT to get in the water. It makes the waves go away when you descend....

nicely done DollFin!

Yeah, 5m usually = cure for me.

cummings66
03-14-2008, 06:52
I clicked on your profile; I did not notice any disability, though I could not see your left foot. I did not know what an SMB was

I did the same, but being a typical male I got the SMB joke rather fast, and it would probably be true for many of us. However, I did not see what her "disability" was and so I'm left wondering what it could be. It's kind of like she set the hook and now I'm waiting...

I'm glad she enjoyed the dive but I would say that if the seasickness thing hits her some day like those other divers to get off the boat and go in. Once you get away from it you'll feel better. The only way I get sick is to lie down and look up at the clouds, even on calm waters that'll make me uneasy.

cmburch
03-14-2008, 09:37
I clicked on your profile; I did not notice any disability, though I could not see your left foot. I did not know what an SMB was

I did the same, but being a typical male I got the SMB joke rather fast, and it would probably be true for many of us.

Yes, I got the joke immediately about a month ago when DollFin responded to a post of mine. I was unfamiliar with navigating a forum back then. And when I saw the SMB reference again, I looked it up.

I may put you on my ignore list for questioning/insulting my manhood.

I've lost my crackers (saltines) through my Reg at depth in bad uneven surge. For me to be sick on a boat and then to jump in to try to cure it, would not be safe for me if I am not even performing at 80%.

mwhities
03-14-2008, 09:53
A disability doesn't have to be physical. Although, I am disabled.. more of mind than the actually physical handicap. ;)

cummings66
03-14-2008, 10:06
I thought of that but ruled it out because she writes well and also the jobs she has, the listed ones at any rate.

Of course, I'm curious as all get out now.

thor
03-14-2008, 10:45

However, I did not see what her "disability" was and so I'm left wondering what it could be. It's kind of like she set the hook and now I'm waiting...

If you look closely at her avatar, you can see that there is an arm coming out of the top of her head. Until that is surgically removed, I can see where that can be an entanglement issue.

TX1Chica
03-14-2008, 10:59
If you look closely at her avatar, you can see that there is an arm coming out of the top of her head. Until that is surgically removed, I can see where that can be an entanglement issue.[/quote]

:smilie39::smilie39:

wgt
03-14-2008, 11:22
If you look closely at her avatar, you can see that there is an arm coming out of the top of her head. Until that is surgically removed, I can see where that can be an entanglement issue.

:smilie39::smilie39:[/quote]

Maybe if you showed up on the chat page more, you'd know the answer to these mysterious questions...right, Doll?!

thor
03-14-2008, 11:43

Maybe if you showed up on the chat page more, you'd know the answer to these mysterious questions...right, Doll?![/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's just what I need. MORE time spent on the chat.

DollFin
03-14-2008, 12:48
LOL you guys.

I actually started a thread a couple of months ago where I talked about being visually impaired. I am legally (NOT totally) blind and, as it is due to a genetic defect with my optic nerve, it is not correctable with glasses, surgery or any means known to medical science at this time. I do have enough vision to do pretty much anything unassisted, including reading my gauges, I just have to look a lot more closely than most people. The only thing I can not do is get a driver's license, which is very frustrating as it leaves me Dependant on public transportation and bumming rides from friends.

Regarding seasickness; I did experience a bout myself in St. Thomas. During a long SI in rather choppy seas, I made the mistake of trying to take a nap and when I got up again, I wasn't feeling so hot, but I got back in the water and was fine as soon as I got below the waves. Why the guys decided not to go in, I don't know.

As to the SMB jokes... that's what happens when your best friends are dive op owners and you're hanging out in the shop after hours drinking wine. :)

cmburch
03-14-2008, 13:02
I am sorry to hear about that. My brother is legally blind due myasthenia gravis, but he has done quite a bit in his life like you. His problem started latter in life though when he was in college. He also has friends and family that help with transportation. I am glad you are exceeding with life.

georoc01
03-14-2008, 13:42
When I was last on a liveaboard, we had one day with rough seas. For the first couple of dives, getting in the water was a godsend. But by the time of the 3rd dive, I couldn't have made suiting up on the dive deck and sweated it out in bed until Dive 4 when I was ok enough to dive again.

So when I am a little sick I was ok, but when it got really bad, I had to sit out.

thor
03-14-2008, 13:59
LOL you guys.

I actually started a thread a couple of months ago where I talked about being visually impaired. I am legally (NOT totally) blind and, ...

It's funny, but you never really hear of anyone being illegally blind

DollFin
03-14-2008, 14:30
LOL you guys.

I actually started a thread a couple of months ago where I talked about being visually impaired. I am legally (NOT totally) blind and, ...

Just like you gotta wonder why someone would be arrested for being "Legally" drunk. LOL

DivingCRNA
03-14-2008, 15:01

Actually, it is not very funny.

Bah, MWhities and Doll are pretty laid back about their issues. What are we supposed to do, not talk about the obvious?

Everyone one of us has something that can hold us back if we let it. It is just more obvious in some folks.

BTW-Doll, I thought your handicap was mental for hanging out with us in chat!!!:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

DollFin
03-14-2008, 15:43
Life is too darn short to NOT have a sense of humor!!!

BuzzF117
03-14-2008, 19:36
http://forum.scubatoys.com/scuba-stories-comments-questions-dont-fit-elsewhere/8281-diving-visual-impairment.html

I made a 6'2" 375# man run screaming like a little girl....I placed my artificial eye on the table next to him. It was a hoot!!!

medicdiver
03-15-2008, 17:05
http://forum.scubatoys.com/scuba-stories-comments-questions-dont-fit-elsewhere/8281-diving-visual-impairment.html

I made a 6'2" 375# man run screaming like a little girl....I placed my artificial eye on the table next to him. It was a hoot!!!

Some people just can't take a joke.

doczerothree
03-15-2008, 17:17
Good story DollFin. Good job sticking it out to the end. Sounded like it really payed off.

I went diving out of Gulf Shores on Sunday - there were 5 divers signed up. We had 3-5' seas that day. Midway to the 1st site, the captain decided to ditch that one as there was another site that would make for a bit smoother ride. We got there, however the DM reported that viz was less than 2', so we headed for a 3rd site - good vis, however on the decent, we discovered the boat had broken loose from where the DM had tied in, so we had to return while the DM re secured the boat. By this time, 3 out of the 5 divers had succumbed to seasickness and decided not to dive, leaving just me, my buddy and the DM. We headed back down and had a GORGEOUS 85' dive - my 10th, dive, and deepest to date! I felt bad for the 3 who couldn't make it, but at the same time, I was proud that I, the new diver and with a "disability", was able to do it! :)

BuzzF117
03-16-2008, 16:50
My instructor told us if you have to cough or puke underwater hold the reg in your mouth and puke or cough away. I have had a coughing fit but never barf...

Osprey
03-16-2008, 20:54
I remember your posts on that (vision) Doll, I'm glad you're having fun! Show em how it's done :)

DivingCRNA
03-16-2008, 21:41
My instructor told us if you have to cough or puke underwater hold the reg in your mouth and puke or cough away. I have had a coughing fit but never barf...

My instructor taught me if you gotta puke under water signal that you are out of air, get your buddies regulator, puke through it, give it back, and signal OK.

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

fisheater
03-17-2008, 00:00

My instructor taught me if you gotta puke under water signal that you are out of air, get your buddies regulator, puke through it, give it back, and signal OK.

Did he tell you to only do this with buddies who carry only very small knives?

Osprey
03-17-2008, 09:19

You got me, I laughed :smilie39::smilie39:

Zyxistal
03-17-2008, 16:27

Don't see how it matters, a small knife can be just as painful and can be pulled out more quickly for that second stab.

fisheater
03-17-2008, 20:27

Don't see how it matters, a small knife can be just as painful and can be pulled out more quickly for that second stab.

But with a big knife, there's no need for a second stab. :smiley2:

RnSdiver
03-17-2008, 21:54

But with a big knife, there's no need for a second stab. :smiley2:

it's not the stab that causes problems. it is the hole left behind when take your knife back. :)