PDA

View Full Version : Diving to Live Again

Silentseas
07-31-2007, 14:48
Diving is a great sport. I have been diving for over 10 years myself. But for those who have never dove, this new experience can be used not only as a new hobby, but as a way to encourage those who are down, to get back up and live again.

Greetings from Maine. My husband recently beat throat cancer a few years back, but the extensive hospital time left him weak and down hearted. He often felt like he had nothing to look forward to on a day to day basis. He didnt know how to occupy his time. Fear and worry kept him from moving forward in life.

After giving my husband a few videos on scuba diving and explaining to him my passion for the hobby and the beauty that it contained, I was shocked to see for the first time in years that he was really excited about getting involved in something and simply living again.

The thought of exploring a new unknown that did not involved tubes, chemo, radiation and heartache was enough to make my husband's fading light begin to shine again. This coming week he has decided to go down and check out a dive center in our state. I look forward to this trip, as I know it will help that kindling fire burn brighter than ever.

I feel good that my life-long passion for diving has inspired my husband to live again. I hope that we all can take time to inspire others who have fallen along the roadside and byways due to illness, depression and other maladies so that they may realize there are still many worlds to explore despite the bad things that sometimes happen.

My husband will now see what I see; the amazing and breath taking aquatic beauty that our amazing planet has to offer. Thank God that he has chosen to dive into the unknown and no longer wishes to simply give up on hope and close his eyes on this world forever.

I would love to hear how diving has inspired others.

Moxie
07-31-2007, 14:52
Very cool post. I'm glad that you were able to show your husband how good life can be - even in spite of the rough times.

loudgonzo
07-31-2007, 14:54
Welcome to the board Silentseas!
Definitely a feel good post and a great motivator! Best of luck to you and your husband!!

Vercingetorix
07-31-2007, 14:56
Thank you for sharing that.

Disneymom
07-31-2007, 14:58
What a wonderful story! Welcome!

thesmoothdome
07-31-2007, 15:06
Welcome to the board! I hope your husband can join us here too. Great group of folks here. I'm actually at a loss as what to say. Suffice to say, diving has touched my life in numerous ways and I hope it can do the same for your husband.

Wolfie2012
07-31-2007, 15:29
Welcome aboard! I'm glad your husband is looking up from what must have been the hardest thing for him to go through.

Diving had helped me as well. When my son passed away I was in a really bad place that I don't wish upon anybody. It took the support of my wife and daughter inspiring me to pursue my passion to dive to help me to see that there was something in this world still worth sticking around for.

Anyway, glad to have you around, hope you enjoy it here! :)

Silentseas
07-31-2007, 15:37
The funny thing was that I never thought he would like doing it. Sometimes we have to take a leap of faith and share the love of our hobbies with others anyway.

I once had a friend whos brother and father in law both were murdered while on a dive in Mexico. The continued to bring forth their love of the hobby depite this tragic occurance. All of her children became divers and continued on with the family tradition.

Foo2
07-31-2007, 18:39
Welcome Silentseas! My hubby has also battled cancer so I feel your pain and my prayers are with you both. I thank God that he gives us little pleasures in life to help us go on.

Silentseas
08-01-2007, 05:16
How is your husand doing?

fox02554
08-01-2007, 07:59
silentseas. HI, thank you for your post. Iam fighting my own battle right now, broken lower leg { think " Barbaro" more then 10 less then 20 peices} and diving is the thing that gets me out of bed in the morning. i spend an hour a day 3 days a week in the pool trying to get the streanth back in my leg. I may not be able to walk :smiley36: but i will be able to swim. so thank you again for your inspiration

Silentseas
08-01-2007, 08:46
My dive partner during open water training only had one leg. He adusted well to swimming with one leg. Hang in there :)

Foo2
08-01-2007, 09:25
He is doing great! He is 1 1/2 years into remission and is feels like nothing ever happended. How is your husband? Is he done with all of his treatments?

Silentseas
08-01-2007, 11:41
He is now in his third year of remission :)

creggur
08-01-2007, 11:52
Very inspirational, Welcome to the boards, and prayers and wishes to you and your husband for a long and dive filled life..

Silentseas
08-01-2007, 15:49
thank you :)

Silentseas
08-02-2007, 12:30
Oh yeah, I forgot. The one legged diver just learned to kick like a dolphin with one leg by studying their body movement on film. I have seen videos of quadrapeligic people diving by being towed through the water and they were having a blast.

fox02554
08-02-2007, 13:44
Silentseas, thank for the note, i was going to ask about the one legged diver.{ that sounds like it should invole a bad joke !:smiley32:} it makes perfect sence now that you said it ! i've been trying to swim the way i always have and i look like a 3 legged dog. haha. but, if i hook the bad leg on top and try one fin dolphin style i bet it will work pisser. wow thank you. i don't have pool time untl monday but will let you know how it works.

Silentseas
08-02-2007, 19:08
Great! Looking forward to hearing how it went :)

the gooch
08-02-2007, 20:26
Welcome Silentseas. Great to hear that you could share your passion with the one you love.

Silentseas
08-03-2007, 09:01
Well trying to, but I cant seem to get the one close diver instructor in Maine to resond to emails now. Maybe he is busy.

Anyone else ever dive in Maine?

Silentseas
08-04-2007, 13:50
I guess not :smiley36:

GatorSoul
08-04-2007, 14:21
In the August 2007 issue of Scuba Diving Magazine, there was a great article, "Fighting Back" about the training of soldiers wounded in Iraq or Afghanistan to Dive.
Without going into personal detail, Scuba Diving gave me a hobby to focus on while recovering from my own malady.
Thanks for posting everyone and welcome to SilentSeas

creggur
08-04-2007, 14:27
Here is a list of Dive Centers in Maine... This site lists a number of dive centers in the New England area.
http://www.scuba-newengland.com/DiveCenterList.asp?StateID=ME

Bill22
08-04-2007, 20:07
Hi and welcome to the board. Thanks for sharing your story.

jerdr1
01-14-2008, 11:53
Hi Silent.. I dive in Maine year round. Beautiful places to dive in Maine. Where in Maine do you dive?

scuba007
01-14-2008, 14:57
Great post. I wish all the best for both of you. I am not that lucky, my brother passed away last year of cancer before christmas time.

LostnVA
01-15-2008, 15:05
Welcome to Scubatoys, Silentseas!! That was a great post. Best of luck to you husband. :smiley20: