PDA

View Full Version : Live aboards?

carriersanders
03-14-2008, 16:38
All of the dive magazines make live aboards look really appealing. Does anyone have any comment or favorites?

jtkkym
03-14-2008, 16:52
Yeah! It is very nice....All I did was Eat, Sleep, and Dive for a week trip. The food, service and diving was great.

Damselfish
03-14-2008, 17:01
Liveaboards are great, didn't do one for a long time then wished we hadn't waited so long. I've liked all I've been on but what's right for you is going to depend on your budget and preferences, and of course where you might want to go. For example, the Blackbeard's liveaboards are inexpensive, and many people like them, but they're described as camping at sea and not something I would go on. I'll only do private cabin and bath.

doczerothree
03-14-2008, 17:14
I went one out of freeport, Texas on Both the Fling and the Spree. It was quite nice. nothing but diving,eating and sleep, swapping stories. I really enjoyed it:smiley20: But not out of the States. Something when I have time to do I will.

FBH1
03-14-2008, 18:05
Who does those Texas live aboards? What are the cost, legnth of time onboard, etc.

navyhmc
03-14-2008, 20:21
Who does those Texas live aboards? What are the cost, legnth of time onboard, etc.

Gulf Diving LLC - Welcome! (http://www.gulf-diving.com/)

All the info is there. I am going out on the Spree over Labor Day Weekend-flower Gardens and Stetson Banks. Will post a dive report when done.

Zenagirl
03-15-2008, 08:04
Anyone who takes "dive" vacations should really consider doing a liveaboard. Since you're motivation to travel is to dive anyway, there's nothing better than literally falling off a boat 4-5x a day. We find that liveaboards are more relaxing than any other type of dive vacation as well since we're never carrying gear anywhere, nor do we have to drive or be bounced around on a little boat for 30 minutes or more to get to our dive site.

Illini_Fan
03-15-2008, 08:55
I'll second the general theme of the thread that liveaboards are great ways to dive. I've done one in Australia and one in the Bahamas. The amount of diving is fantastic plus I really enjoy being away from everything else.

reeldive
03-15-2008, 10:00
Best dive per dollar ratio you can buy! 3 trips to the Bahamas, one trip to the Caymans, and two trips to Belize. I,ve done resort based dives as well. The Keys and Turks and Cacious. Resort based trips usually do 2-3 dives per day and then have to find a place to eat etc. plus lugging all your gear and geting banged aroud on a small boat. Wouldn't say that I wouldn'y do another land based dive trip, but Live Aboard is much more relaxing and is all about the diveing

medicdiver
03-15-2008, 17:00

All the info is there. I am going out on the Spree over Labor Day Weekend-flower Gardens and Stetson Banks. Will post a dive report when done.

I'm counting the days, Navyhmc!!!:smiley20:

Athena2c
03-15-2008, 18:03
Just did my first week long liveaboard in the Bahamas in January and it was great! I wouldn't do them exclusively, but we will definately add more to our travel plans.

cutter77
03-17-2008, 01:42
We generally get the "best of both worlds", arriving one or two days early for a liveaboard trip and taking in the local color/culture. Plus, we don't have to worry about missing the boat's departure because of late connections.

We're not party types so we would rather be doing afternoon and night dives than drinking or partying. And we enjoy the 3-5 dives per day option on liveaboards (plus it's great not to have to lug gear or try to find a good/different place to eat every day.)

chinacat46
03-19-2008, 10:37
I'm a huge fan of liveaboards but there not for everyone. If you want to dive and don't want much else from your vacation then liveaboards are the way to go. Or you could arrive early as suggested above and do some land based stuff beforehand. To me the advantages outweight the drawbacks.

Pros:
1. Pristine dive sites.
Liveaboards can travel to sites beyond the reach of day boats.

2. More dives.
Usually 4 or 5 a day although depending on the resort and how
energetic you want to be you could do this land based. It's just much
easier to do more dives on a liveaboard.

3. Gear
Normally on a liveaboard you set your gear up once and the crew wash
it down each night(via hose). No lugging gear around or having to
change tanks, etc...

4. Space to strecth out on surface intervals.
Between dives there are usually snacks or you can catch a snooze
tween dives either on the sun deck or your room or just relax in the
lounge. Most day boats are cramped and you definitely don't have a
room to go to if you want to get away from it all.

Cons:
1. Confined space.
While you might have a room it's definitely not as big as a resort room
and if you don't get along with some of the other passengers it can
really seem small.

2. Seasickness.
If you are prone to seasickness and the weather turns bad there is no
escape.

3. Food
Most liveaboards have very good food but I've been on a few where it
was just bad. Nothing you can do there aren't any other restaurants.

These are just a few of the pros & cons but if diving is your main objective you will get a lot more bang for your buck going on a liveaboard.

Travelnsj
03-19-2008, 18:38
Cons:
1. Confined space.
really seem small.

2. Seasickness.
escape.

Those are the two reasons why I do not care for them....especially #2:smiley21:....give me solid ground:smiley20:

scubasamurai
03-22-2008, 23:19
heck doing my first liveaboard to belize heard nothing but good reviews, but about the cabins, your diving and your sleeping. i did ask for the v=blonde supermodel for a room mate, but was denied!!! i looked at blackbeards and when i saw the "room" i would be sleeping in was a curtin pull away fromt he galley, i said no way!! i need a door and private head at least!!!! agressor has that so we will see how it goes. look for my post late may under trips

Aussie
03-23-2008, 00:57
I'm a huge fan of liveaboards but there not for everyone. If you want to dive and don't want much else from your vacation then liveaboards are the way to go. Or you could arrive early as suggested above and do some land based stuff beforehand. To me the advantages outweight the drawbacks.

Pros:
1. Pristine dive sites.
Liveaboards can travel to sites beyond the reach of day boats.

2. More dives.
Usually 4 or 5 a day although depending on the resort and how
energetic you want to be you could do this land based. It's just much
easier to do more dives on a liveaboard.

3. Gear
Normally on a liveaboard you set your gear up once and the crew wash
it down each night(via hose). No lugging gear around or having to
change tanks, etc...

4. Space to strecth out on surface intervals.
Between dives there are usually snacks or you can catch a snooze
tween dives either on the sun deck or your room or just relax in the
lounge. Most day boats are cramped and you definitely don't have a
room to go to if you want to get away from it all.

Cons:
1. Confined space.
really seem small.

2. Seasickness.
escape.

3. Food
Most liveaboards have very good food but I've been on a few where it
was just bad. Nothing you can do there aren't any other restaurants.

These are just a few of the pros & cons but if diving is your main objective you will get a lot more bang for your buck going on a liveaboard.

I agree here with Chinacat,

It must be noted that some locations can only be dived from a Liveaboard as the dive sites are too far away for any day boat (example Coral Sea off the GBR). This means you have pristine dive sites with less damage and less crowds. I even had dives on locations were no one else has dived before.

My favourite liveaboard is the Spirit of Freedom (Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear (Cheap online!) (http://www.spiritoffreedom.com.au/)) which goes from Cairns, Australia through the GBR and then out the Coral Sea. I normally go evey year and I will be heading off in 3 weeks of 7 day trip. I like the idea of diving eating sleeping and doing 5 dives a day with no time limit is also another feature I enjoy. You basically wake up and go diving, eat, rest, dive, lunch, rest, dive, eat, dive, dinner, dive, sleep.

You also met alot of interesting people from all over the world and you get people from all walks of life and all levels of dive experience.

I never had problems with the food on the liveaboards that I have been on. The food was excellent and always plenty of it. I think it comes down to you get what you pay for. Heard that some budget boats have had issues with their food and hygiene where the customers and staff all became ill.

Aussie

Zyxistal
03-23-2008, 15:25

Maybe I'm just missing it but I can't find any prices for those. About what do they run?

Illini_Fan
03-23-2008, 16:24
It depends on the amount of days. For example (this is for the spree)

Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear (Cheap online!) (http://www.spreeexpeditions.com/spree_08_aug.asp)

$750 for the three day, $950 for the four day

edit: Not sure why the link displays that name -- it does take you to the Srpee's Aug, 2008 schedule. But in case it doesn't work right, cut & past this: <http://www.spreeexpeditions.com/spree_08_aug.asp>

navyhmc
03-23-2008, 16:35

Maybe I'm just missing it but I can't find any prices for those. About what do they run?

The schedule for the MV Spree shows 2 day Flower Graden tours for the rest of March, April is $575 Nitrox included if you're certified.

May, June and July they are in The Keys on Dry Tortugas tours

Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear (Cheap online!) (http://www.spreeexpeditions.com/spree_03_mar.asp) is the March schedule and you can click on the tabs for the other months.

The MV Fling's schedule is not as user friendly. For the Fling, you have to look on the calendar Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear (Cheap online!) (http://www.gulf-diving.com/fling_schedule2008.htm) find the sates you are interested, click one of the shops that have books slots for those dates and see what slots are available and what they charge for booking.

For the Fling: http://www.tomsscuba.com/dives/2008schedule.html has slots for a number of trips, $395 to $570 number of days and dates dependant.

Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear (Cheap online!) (http://www.seasportstravel.com/PDF/fg_2008_schedule.pdf) same prices.

DollFin
03-23-2008, 20:33
I really want to do a liveaboard. I was thinking of cashing in my Advantage miles next year, taking 2 weeks and going to Australia (or somewhere equally cool), do part on a liveaboard and part just general sightseeing.

Illini_Fan
03-23-2008, 21:12
I really want to do a liveaboard. I was thinking of cashing in my Advantage miles next year, taking 2 weeks and going to Australia (or somewhere equally cool), do part on a liveaboard and part just general sightseeing.

I did that with my son during the summer of 2007, although we managed to get three weeks in. If you go (and like outdoors stuff), get down to Queenstown, NZ for bungy jumping :)

We dove with Taka dive because of the timing of their trips -- I would recommend them again, but I've heard great things about Mike Ball and spirit of freedom as well.

Also, depending upon what cities you want to visit consider a One World award using your miles vs just an AA Partner award.

diok9
06-20-2008, 11:37
My wife and I went for 1 week on Blackbeards in the bahamas and had a great time. It really is camping at sea (with this outfitter at least) and you get incredible value on a per dive basis. I will definately do a liveaboard again as our reason for traveling is to go diving.

(Is there another reason to travel???)

scubasamurai
06-20-2008, 11:45
i did the belize aggressor, nothing but great reviews. good food, even though alot of the times they "recycle" some of it for breakfast. lots to eat in between dives , you can actually gain weight. plently of beer soda and water. yes i even drank the water and no one got a case of the runs. the cabin were small but heck you were sleeping in them and we even brought vidoes to watch but most of us didn't have time too, either diving eating or sleeping.

great staff and great dive locations, except the last dive site . the turneff islands very sandy bottoms no walls and reminded me of tampa bay. but the outer islands lighthouse reef and the hole were great. great vis and lots of sealife to see. the early am dive i did very little on sealife, i guess fish really do sleep.

thesmoothdome
06-20-2008, 19:21
Major pro: Much harder for the operator to lose a diver. You're with the same folks all week and someone is bound to notice you missing :). Horrible I know, but with 2 boats losing folks lately....

In all seriousness, if you want to dive and only dive, this is the way to do it. Much better opportunities for pristine conditions, less stress and hassle, and best of all, if you feel like blowing off a dive *gasp* there will be another one about 3 hours later. You're not missing an entire day because you slept through the boat's departure.

My one experience on a liveaboard was last summer in Belize and it was good enough I immediately booked another trip for this summer. The diving was awesome and the crew really busts their butt for you. Every crew member does multiple jobs and works at least 12 hours a day to keep you happy. Be ready to tip well though! They'll earn it.

Didn't see any recycled food on the Wave Dancer...

Travelnsj
06-20-2008, 19:37
LOB's give you the best bang for the buck....except for people like me who get sea sick walking in the rain:smiley13:

Sansho
06-20-2008, 19:43
Exactly what we're going to do later this year!

thesmoothdome
06-20-2008, 20:03
LOB's give you the best bang for the buck....except for people like me who get sea sick walking in the rain:smiley13:

I've gotten sea sick before the boat left the dock before. There is NO worse feeling in the world than being sea sick, but with the right medication, there's really no need to be sea sick. I use either original dramamine or most of the time the Transderm Scop patches. Sure, I get a bit of dry mouth and the Scop patches dialate my pupils and mess up my close up vision, but it's definately better than being sick.

Travelnsj
06-20-2008, 20:22
I take Meclizine...same stuff as Dramamine...just a lot cheaper...after a couple of days that stuff...makes me goofey....I've tried everything...even the VooDoo electric wrist band....Meclizine is the only thing that works for me.....even being doped up with that stuff...in rough waters I have to keep my head down.

scubasamurai
06-20-2008, 20:23
the only time on the aggressor that it got a "little" rough was the channel crossing . after that it was smooth as ice. even the people that claimed to get seasick didn't take their meds it was that smooth

ie recyceled food using a meat for gravey the next day for gravey and bisuits. nothing disgusting or gross, just smart and tasteful.

chinacat46
06-20-2008, 20:23
I got sea sick once when I was 9. I think it was something I had for breakfast. Have never been sea sick since and I've done 23 liveaboards and some rough seas. I don't take meds either.

thesmoothdome
06-20-2008, 20:49
I take Meclizine...same stuff as Dramamine...just a lot cheaper...after a couple of days that stuff...makes me goofey....I've tried everything...even the VooDoo electric wrist band....Meclizine is the only thing that works for me.....even being doped up with that stuff...in rough waters I have to keep my head down.

Dramamine II - No Drowsy formula uses meclazine.

Original Dramamine uses Dimenhydrinate.

Meclazine doesn't work for me. Dimenhydrinate and scopalomine do.

Now thinking about all this and the side effects, I'm wondering if I'm going to be able see through my viewfinder when my pupils dialate from the patches. guess I better slap one on now...

scubasamurai
06-20-2008, 20:55
the patches should not dilate your eyes unless your get in on your fingers and than wip your eye. i did that boy that caused some trouble for me

Travelnsj
06-20-2008, 20:56
Those patches make me so sick....Dimenhydrinate....well I've thrown up with that before....give me land!

thesmoothdome
06-20-2008, 21:02
the patches should not dilate your eyes unless your get in on your fingers and than wip your eye. i did that boy that caused some trouble for me

Unforunately for me, they do dialate my pupils. I did my nitrox class last summer on board the Sun Dancer II and I had to use a magnifying glass to read the questions on the exam. Took me 3 hours to read through what should have been a 30 minute exam.

Travelnsj
06-20-2008, 21:08
Unforunately for me, they do dialate my pupils. I did my nitrox class last summer on board the Sun Dancer II and I had to use a magnifying glass to read the questions on the exam. Took me 3 hours to read through what should have been a 30 minute exam.

Your headed to PNG or Raja soon are you not?

thesmoothdome
06-20-2008, 21:15

Yah..we take off Sat. night and arrive in PNG on Monday. Should be making my first dive Tuesday morning if all goes according to plan.

Travelnsj
06-20-2008, 21:18

Yah..we take off Sat. night and arrive in PNG on Monday. Should be making my first dive Tuesday morning if all goes according to plan.

Have a great trip...I'm headed to the Scuba Show tomorrow and take off to Little Cayman Sunday AM.

thesmoothdome
06-20-2008, 21:23
sweet. was thinking about making the drive up there again this year, but I'm lazy. Once every 3 years or so is enough for me. Have fun in LC.

Travelnsj
06-20-2008, 21:28
sweet. was thinking about making the drive up there again this year, but I'm lazy. Once every 3 years or so is enough for me. Have fun in LC.

Well....that does not say much for LC:smiley5:

thesmoothdome
06-20-2008, 21:33

Well....that does not say much for LC:smiley5:

Not LC...not going to make the drive up to the Scuba Show. I'd kill to go to LC :).

Travelnsj
06-20-2008, 21:35
Great...had one crappy trip TY....not looking for another!

thesmoothdome
06-20-2008, 21:45

How could you possibly have a bad trip to Little Cayman? Short of a hurricane blowing through that is...

whitworthsa
06-20-2008, 22:31

Best way to get over seasickness is to just vomit for a day. :smiley5:
I know, I know but seriously after that your body gets used to it and you won't notice for the rest of the trip. Just be sure to drink lots of water to stay hydrated and also having something to throw up is much more pleasant than dry-heaving.

I understand this may not work so well if you don't have a full day on the boat before you dive and I've never been on a liveaboard but it worked for me when I was commercial fishing.

Also, if there's enough swell to make you seasick it's advisable to always be holding on to something sturdy in case the boat takes a good roll.:smiley2:

highdesert
06-21-2008, 07:26
Those patches make me so sick....Dimenhydrinate....well I've thrown up with that before....give me land!

Never mind ... just went back and read the whole thread ... looks like you've already tried my suggestion.

Travelnsj
06-21-2008, 09:00

How could you possibly have a bad trip to Little Cayman? Short of a hurricane blowing through that is...

Poor vis, no marine life...like Layang Layang.....that to me is get wet diving....I'd rather save thousands of $$$$....everyone tells me it is the best diving in the Caribbean....I'll find out in a day or so!

highdesert...yep thrown up all over that little $100.00 VooDoo electric wrist brand...LOL

scubasamurai
06-21-2008, 10:19
you will be surprised how little you get seasick, plus all the time your in the water you spend little time on the boat hahaha

thesmoothdome
06-21-2008, 10:25
you will be surprised how little you get seasick, plus all the time your in the water you spend little time on the boat hahaha

Not on a LOB. You get about 5 hours of diving out of a 24 hour day. The rest of the time you're on the boat and there's no escape from the pain.

thesmoothdome
06-21-2008, 10:30

Poor vis, no marine life...like Layang Layang.....that to me is get wet diving....I'd rather save thousands of $$$$....everyone tells me it is the best diving in the Caribbean....I'll find out in a day or so!

Have a great time and let us know how it goes.

scubasamurai
06-21-2008, 10:39

Not on a LOB. You get about 5 hours of diving out of a 24 hour day. The rest of the time you're on the boat and there's no escape from the pain.

that bad for the pain hun. maybe take out the part of your brain that deals with balance :smiley36:

Ron G.
06-21-2008, 18:10
Well, I gotta say that this thread has given me a whole new perspective on Live-a-boards.

I'm a newer diver and just subscribed to Scuba magazine. I've noticed the ads for them, but it didn't sound too inviting. I thought it might get boring, sitting around between dives, but folks seem uniformly enthusiastic about them.

My wife got certified with me in December, but isn't too eager to go on a dive trip. I went alone in Feb. to the Dominican Republic, then with my son to Bonaire in May. I'm going on a trip on October with a group from my lds and hope to meet other singles there...maybe to find a partner(s) to take other trips with....and now, live-aboards sound like a pretty good option. Now, I just gotta find a buddy. (My son doesn't get enough vacation time to keep up with me. :)

How many people are normally on a live-aboard....crew and passengers?

Ron

thesmoothdome
06-21-2008, 19:18
Well, I gotta say that this thread has given me a whole new perspective on Live-a-boards.

I'm a newer diver and just subscribed to Scuba magazine. I've noticed the ads for them, but it didn't sound too inviting. I thought it might get boring, sitting around between dives, but folks seem uniformly enthusiastic about them.

My wife got certified with me in December, but isn't too eager to go on a dive trip. I went alone in Feb. to the Dominican Republic, then with my son to Bonaire in May. I'm going on a trip on October with a group from my lds and hope to meet other singles there...maybe to find a partner(s) to take other trips with....and now, live-aboards sound like a pretty good option. Now, I just gotta find a buddy. (My son doesn't get enough vacation time to keep up with me. :)

Ron

If your wife just wants to lay around, eat and tan a liveaboard would great for her. If she wants to site see or have multiple activites going on, then she'll be miserable. My wife made about 15 of the 27 dives we could have made last summer. No need for her to do every dive if she doesn't want to. My wife, while she enjoys diving, was definately thrilled with just laying on the sun deck, reading and chatting with crew and passengers.

As for numbers, Most boats run 16-20 passengers. If I remember right, Nekton runs about 30-34 people on their trips. The Sun Dancer had 8 crew members for 20 guests. I can't speak of the other boats.

LRDWILDER
06-23-2008, 12:48
I had the best live aboard experiance in the world so I'm all for them....My friend and I did the Utila Aggressor over New Years......We loved it...It was ONLY my friend and I....we booked the quad....we paid less than $1600 each for the whole boat to ourselves......did 23 dives.....It ROCKED...there were 4 crew members and 2 divers...Talk about personalized service!

georoc01
06-23-2008, 14:55

Ron

A number of different questions. The one I did in had 18 divers. But they can go bigger or smaller depending on the size of the boat.

As far as what you do..its eat sleep and dive. Our days typically went like this..

Wake up call at 6:30am. served cold breakfast, went on first dive at 7am. Got out of the water, and they were serving a hot breakfast. Then we would do another dive, get out of the water and lunch was being served. Then an afternoon dive, followed by a snack, then the 2nd afternoon dive. This was followed by dinner and then typically a night dive. Dessert was out after that. Then it was off to bed and start the process over the next day. Between dives, the time to log the dives, and prep for the next one generally kept me pretty busy. I did have a book and read maybe a chapter a day.

As far as the seas go, I had one afternoon where I was seasick and skipped a dive. Normally I am good enough to get into the water and then I am fine, but in this case, just getting out of bed was a challenge. By the time the next dive came around, the seas had subsided and I was fine the rest of the trip.

coral cowgirl
06-27-2008, 17:01
I'm from a family of pilots so flew a lot growing up...maybe it had something to do with the fact none of us ever get seasick, so very glad cause I
love liveaboards!

Travelnsj
06-27-2008, 18:18
I'm from a family of pilots so flew a lot growing up...maybe it had something to do with the fact none of us ever get seasick, so very glad cause I
love liveaboards!

Brag about it as I had to sit out my third dive in Little Cayman today....as I was seasick:smiley13:

chinacat46
06-27-2008, 18:19
love liveaboards!

Brag about it as I had to sit out my third dive in Little Cayman today....as I was seasick:smiley13:

And you aren't even on a live aboard.:smilie39:

thesmoothdome
06-27-2008, 19:28
love liveaboards!

Bah...nothing worse... sorry to hear that....might as well get on a liveaboard, get sick and get on :).

Travelnsj
06-27-2008, 22:16
love liveaboards!

Sometimes I wish I'd have the power to ban you:zx11pissed::003:

But I'll show you....taking my seasick pill NOW!!!!!:smiley20:

chinacat46
06-28-2008, 07:01
love liveaboards!

Sometimes I wish I'd have the power to ban you:zx11pissed::003:

But I'll show you....taking my seasick pill NOW!!!!!:smiley20:

Now Scott you know I'm just teasing you. You get seasick in the rain.

Travelnsj
06-28-2008, 16:27
That is walking in the rain!:smiley13:....But I was good to go today:smiley20:

chinacat46
06-28-2008, 19:56
That is walking in the rain!:smiley13:....But I was good to go today:smiley20:

Must not have been raining :smilie39:

joemamma
09-12-2008, 23:34
For whatever its worth, on our last dive trip, the wife and I got EXTREMELY seasick. The local pharmacist suggested ginger. Apparently he watched a Mythbusters where they tested different motion sickness remedies in a centrifuge. Ginger outperformed them all! We found some candied ginger in the ethnic section of a grocery store and although it tasted something awful (still better than the taste of vomit), we choked it down every morning before getting on the 6 pack boat. For the rest of the trip neither of us had even the slightest queasy feeling and we were in 6-8 foot seas! Before the next trip I will be buying ginger capsules from my local health food store. That way i won't even have to suffer through the taste.