PDA

View Full Version : Sharks happen

itsmescotty
03-15-2008, 01:00
The little buggers are all over the place!
I've been in the water with them in the South China Sea, Indian Ocean, Gulf of Aden, Red Sea and Puget Sound. Some have been Big and some have been small. I've always left them alone (except for a 2m one I chased in the Red sea - he swam lots faster than I did.
Don't get me wrong, I never went in the water to see sharks, they just show up. The biggest I saw was a 6m white swimming over my head, in the Seychelles, in the Indian Ocean and the smallest were 60 cm 'rat fish' in the Puget Sound.
Face it folks when you are in the water and there isn't anyplace to go and you are confronted with a shark AND he is going to eat you, he will. If he doesn't eat you he leaves you alone - the choice is his!

Crimediver
03-15-2008, 06:34
Yeah, in the water we are no longer top of the food chain...

moosicman
03-15-2008, 07:05
And how amazing and telling it is that the choice is SOOO often NOT to eat you:)!

cheebaweebie
03-15-2008, 08:54
Sharks really aren't that bad. Do I want to run into one when i'm diving or spearfishing. absolutely not but if it happens or when it has happened in the past the biggest thing to remember is to not panic.

mobeeno
04-27-2008, 15:09
I've been in the water with them in the South China Sea, Indian Ocean, Gulf of Aden, Red Sea and Puget Sound. Some have been Big and some have been small. I've always left them alone (except for a 2m one I chased in the Red sea - he swam lots faster than I did.
Don't get me wrong, I never went in the water to see sharks, they just show up. The biggest I saw was a 6m white swimming over my head, in the Seychelles, in the Indian Ocean and the smallest were 60 cm 'rat fish' in the Puget Sound.
Face it folks when you are in the water and there isn't anyplace to go and you are confronted with a shark AND he is going to eat you, he will. If he doesn't eat you he leaves you alone - the choice is his!
You are so lucky to see all those sharks esp. the 6m white, the Shark of sharks, and able to tell ppl about it

mixahl
04-27-2008, 15:44
You are so lucky to see all those sharks esp. the 6m white, the Shark of sharks, and able to tell ppl about it

Is he lucky in the sense that he saw one or that he lived through it and was able to tell his story? :smiley20:

moosicman
04-27-2008, 16:10

Is he lucky in the sense that he saw one or that he lived through it and was able to tell his story? :smiley20:

I'm sorry guys and I mean no offense at all, but you are falling for thinking that the Great White is a mindless killer and all he need do is to see you and want to eat you. It is simply not true. That is the stuff of Hollywood and sensational news coverage of shark attacks. If you are walking through the jungle and happen upon a lion and live to tell about it, then you might could be able to say that you were lucky to see it and live because if the lion sees you HE IS GOING TO ATTACK YOU, but not with sharks. With the Great White, and sharks in general you simply are not desireable to eat, even though you fall below them in the food chain. You do not have enough fatty material to make a good meal for them. Though it is EXTREMELY RARE, he IS likely to be curious about you and take an exploratory bite, but again EXTREMELY RARE. You can bet that more often than people would like to think they have, unaware to themselves, been sized up by a shark (Great Whites and others) and passed over due to their own fearful hesitation of what the heck this bubbling creature might be, or because they sense that you would be a waste of effort to attempt to eat. Be in awe and respect of course, but don't assume that just because he see's you, he IS going to come over and eat you. If that were the case, with as many people swimming with sharks as there are everyday, there would be way, way, WAY more attacks per year and FAR AND AWAY more than 5 deaths per year on average due to shark attacks. It's not because you don't run across them....its because when you don't see them, they still have already seen you, know you are there, and just don't want you.:D :)

poacher
08-08-2008, 22:27
well said!