PDA

View Full Version : You meet the coolest people diving!!!

BuzzF117
03-15-2008, 09:31
It seems to me that diving attracts one of the most diverse groups of people together that I have encountered. The Divemaster on the Princess Crown was a retired RAF flight engineer that all he does is dive or work for Princess. I dove with a group of dentists from Missouri who make the trip every year. Some of my dive buddies have been pretty interesting anywhere from a Psychiatrist to an Iraq vet. You also seem to meet the nicest people.

Athena2c
03-15-2008, 09:56
I agree! One of the reasons I love to dive is the people we meet! In fact, we have kept in touch with one cool couple we met in Cozumel in 2005 and have taken a second trip together and have planned our third :smiley20:
(you know who you are)

ian
03-15-2008, 09:59
I've often commented on that, too!

I met a guy on a dive boat last year in Cozumel. He's a "tire guy" from a northern US state. If you read this, I've often wondered about you, your wife and your daughter and offered up a prayer.

Cheers!

Ian

emcbride81
03-15-2008, 11:04
Divers are just cool...I don't know if we were all cool before, or if diving makes us cool...but we rock...

navyhmc
03-15-2008, 11:19
I dove with a RAF pilot who drove an Avro Vulcan. The plane that had the splashed off Bermuda in Thunderball. In fact, I got to dive the area used in fliming Thunderball too.

I can't say I've never met a "Turkey Diver", but I will say that they are definitely in a very exclusive minority. I have had very few complaints about those I've dove with.

And...I'm looking forward to diving with folks from Scuba Toys too.

cudachaser
03-15-2008, 14:00
I've dove with several astronauts

DivingsInMyBlood
03-15-2008, 14:07
Have to agree, i havent met a bad diver yet. They have always been very helpfull (all the older experinced divers) to me being a pretty new diver. I met this one lady who speaks and teaches in sign and teaches deaf childeren to dive and because they talk way too much underwater she puts the bare 3 finger mitts on them.

jwdizney
03-15-2008, 14:28
Divers are just cool...I don't know if we were all cool before, or if diving makes us cool...but we rock...

:smiley20:

Zyxistal
03-15-2008, 16:47

Well, I don't know about the rest of you but..........

medicdiver
03-15-2008, 16:55
It seems I do most of my diving with fellow Emergency Services people. Not that I am not willing to dive with others. I am looking forward to diving with Scubatoys divers as well.

divergirl
03-15-2008, 21:54
Have to agree, i havent met a bad diver yet. They have always been very helpfull (all the older experinced divers) to me being a pretty new diver. I met this one lady who speaks and teaches in sign and teaches deaf childeren to dive and because they talk way too much underwater she puts the bare 3 finger mitts on them.

ahaha that's awesome

hoop
03-16-2008, 10:43
Looks like Divergirl is a Black Label fan... I KNOW she's gotta be cool! :smiley2:

Crewseer
03-20-2008, 21:46
I haven't done very much diving but I've been a boater most of my life...I'm finding out that people who enjoy being on and around water are usually well defined, they're adventurous, humorous, conversationalists. I wonder what it is about diving that pulls on your imagination harder than any other hobbie I've entertained

DivingsInMyBlood
03-21-2008, 13:15
I haven't done very much diving but I've been a boater most of my life...I'm finding out that people who enjoy being on and around water are usually well defined, they're adventurous, humorous, conversationalists. I wonder what it is about diving that pulls on your imagination harder than any other hobbie I've entertained

I'm not really to sure, it's pretty hard to have an indepth talk about diving to a non diver (because its a whole new world down there i guess). I love talking to older divers who have been all over the place, just makes me want to go there to and see it for myself when money permitts.

DollFin
03-21-2008, 23:59
Personally, for most of my life and well before I became a diver, I have looked for any excuse to be on, in, or even just near the water. Heck, I will ride the Canan Street Ferry across the river and back just to get a "fix". Unfortunately, untill recently, I never seemed to fall in with like-minded people. Now if I could just find a single guy around my age who shares that passion.

riverrat
03-22-2008, 01:32
Just getting into the diving thing myself. Finally have most of what I need, now I just need the practice as soon as the local dive lake opens. I just need to fine the time. But the people that I have met at the shops seem to be very nice, funny and open. I just hope I get to meet everybody on some of my trips.

fire diver
03-22-2008, 14:50
All the divers I have met have been great people too. Especially those disney folks and MPD I met at Tenkiller.

Never met any bad folks yet while diving. I have met some other folks just becuase they were wearing something dive-related and I struck up a conversation.

FD

Bigg_Budd
03-22-2008, 18:43
I've met a couple of a-holes. Had a couple of bad insta-buddies. But for the most part, pretty good people...

WV Diver
03-23-2008, 06:43

Thanks Eric, it was good to meet you also, but honestly, I think I have always been cool.:smiley36::smilie39:

:smilie40::smilie40:

emcbride81
03-23-2008, 11:22

Thanks Eric, it was good to meet you also, but honestly, I think I have always been cool.:smiley36::smilie39:

Oh, so that was what was emanating from you! It was your "coolness"....and here I thought it was your smelly old wetsuit! :)

Disneymom
03-23-2008, 16:03
All the divers I have met have been great people too. Especially those disney folks and MPD I met at Tenkiller.

Never met any bad folks yet while diving. I have met some other folks just becuase they were wearing something dive-related and I struck up a conversation.

FD
:smiley20: Yeah, that FireDiver guy is pretty cool, too.... anybody serving our country and defending our freedoms is pretty cool in our book.

So far we haven't met anyone not too cool, but give us time...
MPD and his Julie, and NitroWill are a couple of great people, and looking forward to meeting more off the ST forum this summer!

jwdizney
03-23-2008, 16:20

FD
:smiley20: Yeah, that FireDiver guy is pretty cool, too.... anybody serving our country and defending our freedoms is pretty cool in our book.

So far we haven't met anyone not too cool, but give us time...
MPD and his Julie, and NitroWill are a couple of great people, and looking forward to meeting more off the ST forum this summer!

What She said!:smiley20:

WV Diver
03-23-2008, 17:00

Oh, so that was what was emanating from you! It was your "coolness"....and here I thought it was your smelly old wetsuit! :)

Now that you have smelled cool, perhaps you will recognize it next time.:smiley2::smiley29:

Dee
03-25-2008, 22:52
Just getting into the diving thing myself. Finally have most of what I need, now I just need the practice as soon as the local dive lake opens. I just need to fine the time. But the people that I have met at the shops seem to be very nice, funny and open. I just hope I get to meet everybody on some of my trips.

Beast and I are near Baytown. Have you been to Twin Lakes in Manvel? We, too, are waiting for the new Mammoth Lake to open. Hope to see you around a local pond, we'd welcome you to dive with us anytime.

EuphoriaII
03-27-2008, 21:42
I've had some poorly skilled divers on a couple trips and I've had some that were far more skilled than me.