PDA

View Full Version : 1st Dives in the Fusion

skdvr
03-17-2008, 13:50
Well this past weekend I got my first real dives in my new Whites Fusion. All I can say is WOW. I really liked it. It was extremely easy to manage the air in the suit. I stayed very warm with the Whites Mk2 and two layers of PolyPro undies under that. I thought about trying it with just one set under the Mk2 to see if I got much colder, but I decided to stick with what I knew was going to keep me warm. The water temp was in the low 40's by the way. My feet did get cold on me. I kind of wish that they had neoprene socks to help keep the feet a little warmer. The cold feet was not anything extreme, just annoying. The lycra skin a actually tougher than I thought. During a surface interval I was walking around this little island that we were on and walking through tree branches not even thinking about the outerskin. After I realized I should probably be careful I check the suit out and no snags anywhere. I am really thinking about getting the Tech Skin with the pockets, but for now the Lycra is plenty tough.

Great suit, I would recommend it to anyone...

Phil

caroln
03-17-2008, 16:40
Thanks for the report. I still haven't bitten the bullet on this one yet, but I've yet to hear anything negative.

ladyfish
03-17-2008, 18:45
Try wool hiking socks for keeping your feet warm. Alternately there are also polartec socks that are sold by REI. I haven't tried them with my drysuit yet, but plan to. I've used wool socks for years, though.

cummings66
03-17-2008, 19:55
I bought some of the newer hitech type socks at Bass Pro. If you noticed the blue socks on when I suited up, they're about 1/2 inch thick when squeezed against themselves and my feet have never been cold in them.

I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't much. I bought them a couple years back, Bass Pro will discount the Winter Clothes when it starts warming up, best time to buy. In fact, they're doing it now so I'd look into the socks there.

I saw Phil in it and yes, he did walk in areas that you really should have been thinking twice about. I worried I'd poke a thorn through my boots to be honest, nasty scrub place of an island.

skdvr
03-18-2008, 05:56
Try wool hiking socks for keeping your feet warm. Alternately there are also polartec socks that are sold by REI. I haven't tried them with my drysuit yet, but plan to. I've used wool socks for years, though.
I am using thick wool hunting socks right now. They work just not quite warm enough. My feet are always cold though. I looked at the polar tech socks at REI a couple of weeks back and thought about trying a pair but figured I would try what I have first.

I bought some of the newer hitech type socks at Bass Pro. If you noticed the blue socks on when I suited up, they're about 1/2 inch thick when squeezed against themselves and my feet have never been cold in them.

I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't much. I bought them a couple years back, Bass Pro will discount the Winter Clothes when it starts warming up, best time to buy. In fact, they're doing it now so I'd look into the socks there.

I saw Phil in it and yes, he did walk in areas that you really should have been thinking twice about. I worried I'd poke a thorn through my boots to be honest, nasty scrub place of an island.

I will try Bass Pro this weekend and see if I can find any of the hitech socks on sale. I may also look at Cabelas. I know that both places are trying to get rid of their cold weather gear...

Phil

cummings66
03-18-2008, 07:09
By the way, they carry Hitech brand name boots, but the socks are not that brand name. It's just a modern wicking fabric that's pretty thick, and works well.

skdvr
03-18-2008, 08:48
By the way, they carry Hitech brand name boots, but the socks are not that brand name. It's just a modern wicking fabric that's pretty thick, and works well.

Thanks, I will check them out...

Phil

Skyjunky
03-18-2008, 10:08
I use thick wool hiking socks and a polypropelene liner.

Shellback
03-18-2008, 22:16
Well this past weekend I got my first real dives in my new Whites Fusion. All I can say is WOW. I really liked it. It was extremely easy to manage the air in the suit. I stayed very warm with the Whites Mk2 and two layers of PolyPro undies under that. I thought about trying it with just one set under the Mk2 to see if I got much colder, but I decided to stick with what I knew was going to keep me warm. The water temp was in the low 40's by the way. My feet did get cold on me. I kind of wish that they had neoprene socks to help keep the feet a little warmer. The cold feet was not anything extreme, just annoying. The lycra skin a actually tougher than I thought. During a surface interval I was walking around this little island that we were on and walking through tree branches not even thinking about the outerskin. After I realized I should probably be careful I check the suit out and no snags anywhere. I am really thinking about getting the Tech Skin with the pockets, but for now the Lycra is plenty tough.

Great suit, I would recommend it to anyone...

Phil
Phil, I as well use socks for my drysuit. What I ended up doing because my boots were so large and feet started swimming around. I ended up picking up 2 pair of snowboard socks and now feet fit well and stay very warm. I think the socks are Merino wool.

CompuDude
03-19-2008, 00:41
Thor-lo Heavy Trekking socks, with polypro liners.

Works when hiking at 5 degrees in upstate NY, works when diving. :)

texdiveguy
03-19-2008, 00:44
My dry suit is eqpt. with attached 'moon boots', I wear a pair of hd wool blend socks with a pair of 2mil neo dive socks over them...feet stay comfy!

skdvr
03-19-2008, 05:33
Thanks for all the suggestions for keeping my feet toasty....

Phil