PDA

View Full Version : Best wetsuits for petite women

dixonju
03-17-2008, 14:24
Hello everyone- I'm new to the diving world and just starting to purchase the basics. One of my various problems is that I am quite petite, 4'10" and around 100lbs. I am interested in purchasing a wetsuit and have tried on a 7/5 Henderson Hyperstretch...in size 10 junior! (Not sure about that one...anyway..) I have two issues that I am hoping someone can help me with here...

1. I keep reading that folks are able to throw the hyperstretch on and off in 10 seconds?!?! Seriously? The guys at my LDS would bet the farm that the junior size 10 (versus the 12 that had "gaps") was the best fit...but it took me 15 minutes to get that thing on....is that normal?? Other brands or types that I should consider for my size?

2. I'm going to Roatan in a month. Water temp I've been told is around 84 F, however, I am very cold natured. The rep at my LDS kept pushing the 7/5 on me...however, I can't help but think that may be a bit much in 84 degree water..even with my propensity to chill. Any thoughts? As a newbie I am going to start slow and stick to warm water diving. I was thinking a 5/3 was more appropriate but wanted some thoughts.

Thank you so much!

Foo2
03-17-2008, 14:59
About finding a good fit for a wetsuit....I'm afraid I can't help you much. (I'm huge compared to you, 5'3" 113lbs) :) But FYI, I do wear a bare suit.

But I do have an opinion about the thickness of wetsuit that you will need in Roatan. I also am very cold natured, but a 7/5 in 84d water is too much. In my opinion, a 5/3 might still be a little much. A 3/2 would probably be perfect. That being said, a 5/3 is not a bad purchase. You can use it in various temperatures. A 5/3 is next on my own shopping list. :) Of course, everyone gets cold differently. At your LDS, do you have the option to try a wetsuit in a heated pool before you purchase?

Osprey
03-17-2008, 16:52
I think the hyperstretch just comes with experience. I've seen people pull them on like a loose pair of flannel PJs.. while I take a bit of time to get situated. We'll get there :)

dixonju
03-20-2008, 08:42
Thanks so much for the advice. I definitely thought that the 7/5 suit was going to be too much for my needs. I'm going to take the advice and start my search for the 3/2! I may be able to try a rental in a heated pool, but I'll have to ask. Thanks so much. Now I need to get my sizing a bit more fine tuned I think....

CamaroChick
03-20-2008, 13:07
I've been having trouble finding a wetsuit to fit me too. I'm not as tiny as you, but tall and skinny. I tried on a Hyperstretch 3mm full suit last week, and I was into the thing in maybe 30 seconds! It was like slipping on a pair of worn-in jeans. I personally don't like full suits because they are so hard to get into, but that Hyperstretch changed my mind!

I too am going to Roatan (in June), and I am always cold, even in 80 - 85 degree water. I've found that a 5mm long sleeve shorty works best for me. Easy to get into, enough mobility, and keeps me mostly warm. I just ordered a Thermoprene (didn't want to spend $300 on the Hyperstretch), so we'll see how that works.

Another downside to a 7mm wetsuit is limited mobility and the extra lead you'll need to wear. I had to wear a 7mm full suit when I did my OW checkout dives in 46 degree quarry water, and I felt like a little kid in a snowsuit - arms sticking out and waddling into the water like a penguin! Plus it took me and my hubby about an hour to get me into that thing.

Suther2136
03-20-2008, 15:25
Hello everyone- I'm new to the diving world and just starting to purchase the basics. One of my various problems is that I am quite petite, 4'10" and around 100lbs. I am interested in purchasing a wetsuit and have tried on a 7/5 Henderson Hyperstretch...in size 10 junior! (Not sure about that one...anyway..) I have two issues that I am hoping someone can help me with here...

1. I keep reading that folks are able to throw the hyperstretch on and off in 10 seconds?!?! Seriously? The guys at my LDS would bet the farm that the junior size 10 (versus the 12 that had "gaps") was the best fit...but it took me 15 minutes to get that thing on....is that normal?? Other brands or types that I should consider for my size?

2. I'm going to Roatan in a month. Water temp I've been told is around 84 F, however, I am very cold natured. The rep at my LDS kept pushing the 7/5 on me...however, I can't help but think that may be a bit much in 84 degree water..even with my propensity to chill. Any thoughts? As a newbie I am going to start slow and stick to warm water diving. I was thinking a 5/3 was more appropriate but wanted some thoughts.

Thank you so much!

No help on the wet suit, I'll be in Roatan the week of May 10 all week any overlap?

bostondivegirl
03-20-2008, 16:59
My suggestion would b to go with a 3mm suit and get a rash guard if you get cold. I usually get cold very easily, especially after 3-4 dives. i have been diving with a 3mm in 84-85 degree temp. water, and the rash guard seems to do the trick.

texdiveguy
03-20-2008, 18:41
I have a brand new never worn still with attached tags womens size 9/10 Akona Quantum Stretch full 3mil wetsuit for sale....I won it as a door prize.

Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear (Cheap online!) (http://www.divers-supply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AKO0040&click=10180)

$80.00 anywhere in the USA!!

dixonju
03-20-2008, 20:51
Thanks still to those that keep replying! For textdiveguy...not sure if you were offerring to sell me the new dive suit you won...unfortunately when I said size 10...I was talking kids size 10...lol. I'm glad to hear the feedback on the 7mil. Penguin is exactly what it felt like...and probably why it took so long to get on! I think I want to get the full since it is my first wetsuit..now I just need to decide 5/3, 3/2, 3 mil with rashguard....so many choices! I'll be in Roatan mid April....so excited!!

bostondivegirl
03-21-2008, 10:14
Im going to Utila in 2 weeks. I'll let you know how the water is.
:)

mona
04-08-2008, 21:53
It's April and you might already have your wetsuit for your trip or you might already be in Roatan...but I'll chance it. I was just in Roatan in February and found I was okay with my 3mm (full length) and it kept me comfortable in 82F waters and I, like you, tend to get cold easily. I don't regret getting the full length suit; a couple of other gals on the trip had shorties and they ended up with scratches/stings and such on their legs especially from anything and everything in the water and also tended to get cold.
You will LOVE the diving in Roatan; this was my first salt water/warm water dive trip and it was amazing!!!

MelC
04-09-2008, 11:52
I happen to have a hyperstretch junior 3mm although a tad bigger (14) than yours as I'm 5'4" and definitely heavier :) I don't find it hard to get it on and off and I suspect you will find that the 3mm will be much easier than the 7mm anyway. As to temperatures I definitely second the recommendations of 3mm for Roatan. I get cold fairly easily and I have found that a 3mm is fine for repetitive dives in the late 70's and up and paired with a hooded vest it seems to suffice for the low 70's as well.

Mel

Scoobidoo
04-09-2008, 17:41
The XS size from the Pinnacle range should fit you well!

cdawg
04-20-2008, 23:59
anyone else have any more recommendations? i am on the hunt for a wetsuit as well... my old one is loose and it's giving me blisters :(