PDA

View Full Version : What gloves do you use?

SHAGGY
03-17-2008, 15:42
Just a lil courious as to what glove that you guys use when dry diving. The winter temps around here are usually around 45-53 and I had been using a pair of 3mm wet gloves because it allowed a lil easier movement of the fingers, and was a lil easier to judge what you had your hands on in these blackwater dives when searching for different things, but after about 30 minutes under water the hands start getting pretty cold. I just recently got a pair of the Mares drysuit gloves that ST sells but havent had a chance to use them just yet, but they should be considerably warmer. They are a 5/3 glove and seal pretty good too.

shaggy

WV Diver
03-17-2008, 15:56
I always wear wet gloves when I am diving dry. I don't care for the dry gloves I have at all. I don't dive in the temps you do very often. Having said this I was in the lake the other day and it was 48*. I was warm in my dry suit put the usual 3mm wet gloves did not do the trick. My hands were cold.

However I have been in those temps before and used a snug fitting pair of reef gloves (1 or 2 mm) and put them inside a XL 3mm glove and I was toasty. I didn't have to do any detail work but I was warm.

MSilvia
03-17-2008, 16:32
I use Si-Tech ring dry gloves, and despite some initial problems, I figured out what (for me) is a great way to set them up, and I haven't had an issue or cold hand with them since.

CompuDude
03-17-2008, 17:01
I used to use Henderson InstaDry 3mm gloves. Best wet gloves ever.

I moved to dry gloves on my drysuit, however, and have been very happy with them. Diving Concepts glove rings. Highly recommended if your hands are too cold. (I don't know that the ID 3mm would suffice below 50, and the 5mm aren't as dextrous so why bother?)

texdiveguy
03-17-2008, 18:36
I use 5 finger Henderson 7mil wet gloves with my dry suit in real cold waters....if water is a bit warmer or just shorter dives I wear BARE 5 finger 5mil gloves.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
03-17-2008, 18:53
I use 5mm hyperstretch... hands get pretty darn cold after an hour in 48 degree water. Most people I dive with wear Nordic blue dry gloves in the same environment.

cummings66
03-17-2008, 19:51
I use drygloves with the Viking ring bayonet system. The glove is a cheap hardware store blue glove, it only costs a few dollars. The liner is a cheap liner I got mil surplus. All told maybe $10 total for glove and liner, and it's been warm down to 34 degree F dives.

SHAGGY
03-18-2008, 09:37
I use drygloves with the Viking ring bayonet system. The glove is a cheap hardware store blue glove, it only costs a few dollars. The liner is a cheap liner I got mil surplus. All told maybe $10 total for glove and liner, and it's been warm down to 34 degree F dives.

Hummmmm,....... do you have a website that sells the viking ring bayonet system. That sounds like a pretty inexpensive glove that I could try out.

shaggy

terrillja
03-18-2008, 09:43

Hummmmm,....... do you have a website that sells the viking ring bayonet system. That sounds like a pretty inexpensive glove that I could try out.

shaggy
The gloves are cheap, the rings aren't. They are sold here:

http://comdive.com/ringkits.html

terrillja
03-18-2008, 09:45
I dive 5mm BARE wet gloves down to 40, Si Tech dry gloves under 40 or for multiple dives.

skdvr
03-18-2008, 09:49
I have a set of XS Scuba Ryno Hyde 5mm gloves that I have used in temps in teh low 40's and they work just great. Not the best for the drysuit because of the long sleeve on them, but they are still fine. I have purchased a set of Viking Bayonet rings just have not gotten them yet. Hopefully in the next week or so I will get them in.

Phil

Ontwreckdiver
03-18-2008, 11:12
I use Mares Trilastic 6/5 semi dry gloves. I have used them in water temps down to 38 degrees.

cummings66
03-18-2008, 15:52
So Phil, you're the one who bought those bayonet rings? I think they're really nice if they fit the drysuit.

skdvr
03-18-2008, 17:45
So Phil, you're the one who bought those bayonet rings? I think they're really nice if they fit the drysuit.

I did not buy Wolfie's rings. I had already ordered a set from Bob3 when Wolfie told me that he was going to sell his. Bob just had them on back order but should be shipped some time this week hopefully...

Phil

Divingguy
03-18-2008, 20:02
I had tried using 7mil gloves, but they were too thick to tie knots and do other tasks when working with classes. I have been using 5 mil gloves and a 5 mil hood in water in the mid 40's to low 50's.

SHAGGY
03-20-2008, 07:14
Hopefully my Mares Comfort 5/3 dry glove will be alot warmer than my 3mm wet gloves. I will get to try them out today.

shaggy

SHAGGY
03-21-2008, 06:34
Just a little update:

I finally got a chance to use my new Mares Comfort 5/3 dry gloves and they were great. They were much warmer than my 3mm wet gloves and they werent too thick or bulky either. The water temp is quit a bit warmer than it was 3 weeks ago though. It was around 63deg as opposed to the 53deg that it was then, but the gloves were so warm that I was ready for my 3mm wet gloves so I think for now they will serve in just about any water temp in my area.

shaggy

brandon
03-21-2008, 16:34
I have the viking bayonet rings + cheap atlas gloves. In the winter I switch from L to XL gloves so I can wear a thicker liner.

The water was 32 degrees here in January, about 34-36 right now. Will warm up into the mid 40s in Summer.

When I dove wet I wore a pair of 7mm gloves - either lobster claw or fingered. Real important to get the kind that have the donut seal inside to help keep as little water exchanging as possible.

-B

Charles R
03-21-2008, 19:24
I use these Dive Rite Dry Suit Glove , Boots Hoods Gloves, Dive Rite, Dive Rite Dry Suit Glove (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DiveRiteDrySuitGlove) same deal you can buy replacement gloves @ the hardware store

DivingsInMyBlood
03-21-2008, 23:41
I dive 7mm bare mitts because im waiting to get dry gloves, seem to work just fine for now diving in temps as low as 36.

RoyN
03-26-2008, 03:19

Matt, I see you use a blue glove, is that a kit set or you just wear it normal?

cummings66
03-26-2008, 08:35
Those blue gloves were bought at Sutherlands, cost me around $6 I think. They go inside the bayonet.

RoyN
03-26-2008, 23:17
Anybody have any opinion on these gloves? Do they have them in black color?

Dry Gloves...Warm, Versatile, Simple to Use, Easy to Don and Doff (http://www.diveriteexpress.com/exposure/dryglove.shtml)

terrillja
03-26-2008, 23:18

Dry Gloves...Warm, Versatile, Simple to Use, Easy to Don and Doff (http://www.diveriteexpress.com/exposure/dryglove.shtml)
They are the atlas gloves, they can be bought lots of places, and work fairly well.

What do you have against the smurf color anyways?

CompuDude
03-26-2008, 23:25
The Diving Concepts rings work a lot better, by all reports.

Both use the standard Atlas gloves for replacements, available online for cheap.

Roy, I would avoid black gloves. It makes it REALLY hard for your buddy to see your hand signals. My buddies all commented on the improvement when I went from dark gloves to the smurf gloves. (Atlas 660s... I also sometimes use the orange Atlas 620s, which are thinner and more dextrous, but not as robust against the sea urchins in the surf zone!)

terrillja
03-26-2008, 23:25

I just looked at the pricing! Over $70!? That's insane. The gloves are $3-5, and I bought smartwool liners through campmor for $10, which are way better than the yellow liners.

RoyN
03-26-2008, 23:40
Yeah you're right CompuDude, I don't seriously don't mind blue then. But guys, do you think $165.90 justify the price?

Dive Rite Dry Suit Glove , Boots Hoods Gloves, Dive Rite, Dive Rite Dry Suit Glove (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DiveRiteDrySuitGlove)

terrillja
03-26-2008, 23:41
Yeah you're right CompuDude, I don't seriously don't mind blue then. But guys, do you think $165.90 justify the price?

Dive Rite Dry Suit Glove , Boots Hoods Gloves, Dive Rite, Dive Rite Dry Suit Glove (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DiveRiteDrySuitGlove)
No.

Get rings, either the viking bayonets, or the si-tech, and buy the gloves online for $5. Way less than $165, even for the bayonets, which cost more than the si-tech.

RoyN
03-26-2008, 23:46
Terrillja, it works just like the dive rite with the lock and O-ring set?

terrillja
03-26-2008, 23:50
Terrillja, it works just like the dive rite with the lock and O-ring set?
You have cuffs on the suit and rings on the gloves.

$85 for the rings, or 150 w/ 2 pairs of gloves and the cuffs

check it out:
Viking Bayonet Dry Glove Ring Kits (http://comdive.com/ringkits.html)

Note, I've never used these, just seen them listed. I have the si-tech.

RoyN
03-26-2008, 23:54
Wow! Thats pretty cheap there. I'll look into it then. :)

But then have to make sure if it works with the evo2 drysuit though...I am sure it will.

I need to get that kit which is $85 and the glove around $5 or $10 dollars?

terrillja
03-27-2008, 00:08
Wow! Thats pretty cheap there. I'll look into it then. :)

But then have to make sure if it works with the evo2 drysuit though...I am sure it will.

I need to get that kit which is $85 and the glove around $5 or $10 dollars?
It seems like you need some sort of cuff system...

I'm not sure about the bayonet system of attachment, but bob3 on SB will explain it if you pm him.

terrillja
03-27-2008, 00:20
Has anyone tried the 720 glove? It has better puncture and tear specs than the 660 glove, but it made of nitrile rather than pvc.