PDA

View Full Version : How long until?

MicahEW
03-17-2008, 17:09
What can I do with with a diving cert+EANx?? What should be the next class I take? I am thinking of AOW or rescue.

cummings66
03-17-2008, 22:01
As I understand your wishes, you want to be a technical diver. So, your progression will be from AOW to Rescue to Deep Diver to Advanced Nitrol/Deco to Trimix to maybe rebreathers.

What can you do?

What do you want to do is the real question.

Using EAN for diving will allow you to have a lower nitrogen intake which means you can do a few things with it depending on depth. You can either extend your bottom times or take the reduced loading as a safety factor. The deeper you go the less benefit it has and the shorter the time it really gives you. There are other claims such as feeling better, shorter SI times as well. Probably others too, the main usage seems to be extended bottom times.

navyhmc
03-17-2008, 22:27
What cummings66 said.

There is a very simple answer to diving with OW + EANx: Dive!!!!! Dive!!!! and then Dive!!!!

As C66 said, Nitrox can increase your safety margin if used with recreational air tables-less nitrogen exposure = increased safety. It can also extend bottom time by dropping your "Equivilent Air depth" i.e. using a 32% EAN, a dive to 75' has a NDL of 55 minutes instead of 30 minutes using Air (21% EAN)

What ever the case, Go diving!!!

If your target in the future is something like PADI Deep Tec, you will need to have a good number of dives; 100 divies minimum with 20 being Nitrox, 25 deeper than 60'/18m and 15 dives deeper then 100'/30m.

So your final targets shold be: AOW, Rescue, Deep, Nitrox (Enriched Air) and probably Dry Suit as most Deep Tec use a dry suit due to long down times-Bottom times and Deco Times).

RoyN
03-17-2008, 22:55
Pretty much what the two said.

MicahEW
03-18-2008, 16:55
As I understand your wishes, you want to be a technical diver. So, your progression will be from AOW to Rescue to Deep Diver to Advanced Nitrol/Deco to Trimix to maybe rebreathers.

What can you do?

What do you want to do is the real question.

Using EAN for diving will allow you to have a lower nitrogen intake which means you can do a few things with it depending on depth. You can either extend your bottom times or take the reduced loading as a safety factor. The deeper you go the less benefit it has and the shorter the time it really gives you. There are other claims such as feeling better, shorter SI times as well. Probably others too, the main usage seems to be extended bottom times.

What cummings66 said.

There is a very simple answer to diving with OW + EANx: Dive!!!!! Dive!!!! and then Dive!!!!

As C66 said, Nitrox can increase your safety margin if used with recreational air tables-less nitrogen exposure = increased safety. It can also extend bottom time by dropping your "Equivilent Air depth" i.e. using a 32% EAN, a dive to 75' has a NDL of 55 minutes instead of 30 minutes using Air (21% EAN)

What ever the case, Go diving!!!

If your target in the future is something like PADI Deep Tec, you will need to have a good number of dives; 100 divies minimum with 20 being Nitrox, 25 deeper than 60'/18m and 15 dives deeper then 100'/30m.

So your final targets shold be: AOW, Rescue, Deep, Nitrox (Enriched Air) and probably Dry Suit as most Deep Tec use a dry suit due to long down times-Bottom times and Deco Times).

Thanks guys I was wondering the steps/ progression is training like what to do next. so AOW should go before Rescue?? then Deep?
Its great to always get feedback from ya'll.

cummings66
03-18-2008, 17:41
Most agencies require AOW before rescue. Electives can be done in any order, but the real deep diving tech classes will require rescue before they can be done.

IMO don't dive deep until you know how to plan a dive to that depth safely and not just wing it. Deep for the sake of being deep is stupid, always plan for the dive and have ways out of failures.

Speaking of diving, how's your OW stuff coming? I haven't heard you post about that in a long time now.

MicahEW
03-19-2008, 10:01
I went and signed up for the class it is in April I was going to do it last time I posted but this lovely TN weather had mi sinuses messed up. I have always been told never to take allergy/sinus/cold meds bofore a dive any input? What do they teach in AOW vs OW?

cummings66
03-19-2008, 20:55
They will never tell you to dive with problems. The party line is, if you need medicine to make it through the day, then you don't need to be diving.

Many people with allergies use those meds though, but you do need to be careful with some of them because they can adversely affect a diver. Call DAN if you have questions and you're on them, they'll tell you what they know.

texdiveguy
03-19-2008, 21:06
OP...

I have constant congestion issues throught the year...it SUCKS! I also have E-tubes smaller than a human hair I think,,,so 'descending' is always a bit of a slow task for me on most dives-again it SUCKS! Use over the counter meds or Rx's by following directions and Dr.'s instructions.....use good common sense. I have over the years learned to deal with these less than perfect issues when it comes to diving...so it can be done. But their are folks that just find it to difficult to safely dive from cronic congestion problems, you will know if that apply to you....I have had to abort only a few dive outs so I feel blessed. Good luck!

UCFKnightDiver
03-19-2008, 21:09
yep I take sudafed before every dive because I have troubles equalizing, if I am congested on top of that I dont dive

terrillja
03-19-2008, 21:11
I would also check out doc's proplugs. They have made equalizing so much easier for me.

The 10-20 ear infections I had as a kid probably didn't help anything...

UCFKnightDiver
03-19-2008, 21:16
lol sounds like me T tubes twice ear infections the works lol I will have to give them a try some time

MicahEW
03-19-2008, 22:13
yep I take sudafed before every dive because I have troubles equalizing, if I am congested on top of that I dont dive

I would also check out doc's proplugs. They have made equalizing so much easier for me.

Between these two I am sure one will help. So sudafed is ok even w/ EAN? Thanks
on another thread Scuba Larry said chewing gum also helps equalize I am gonna try that too.

terrillja
03-19-2008, 22:17

on another thread Scuba Larry said chewing gum also helps equalize I am gonna try that too.
Here is the link from DAN:
Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear (Cheap online!) (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=51)

MicahEW
03-19-2008, 22:36

Here is the link from DAN:
Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear (Cheap online!) (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=51)

Didnt really say to take or not to take sudafed. Rox you really take this and are ok or you yankin my chain?

terrillja
03-19-2008, 22:40
Here is the key bit:

What's the bottom line? In normal, healthy divers breathing air, occasional use of pseudoephedrine at the recommended dose is probably safe. This presumes that the drug has been taken during periods when no diving has occurred and that no undesirable reactions have occurred. However, one should avoid chronic (daily) use when diving, and it seems reasonable to avoid the drug entirely if diving while using oxygen-nitrogen mixes where the PO2 during a dive might exceed 1.4 ata, the current recommended "safe" open-circuit scuba limit.

So don't take it every day, and don't exceed 1.4 ata. FWIW, 1.4 is the max PO2 by most agencies. You'll learn about it during your nitrox class.

MicahEW
03-19-2008, 22:46
Here is the key bit:

What's the bottom line? In normal, healthy divers breathing air, occasional use of pseudoephedrine at the recommended dose is probably safe. This presumes that the drug has been taken during periods when no diving has occurred and that no undesirable reactions have occurred. However, one should avoid chronic (daily) use when diving, and it seems reasonable to avoid the drug entirely if diving while using oxygen-nitrogen mixes where the PO2 during a dive might exceed 1.4 ata, the current recommended "safe" open-circuit scuba limit.

So don't take it every day, and don't exceed 1.4 ata. FWIW, 1.4 is the max PO2 by most agencies. You'll learn about it during your nitrox class.

ok so guess if I am using compresed air its ok but not with EAN to be safe. That correct? Thanks for the help Terrillja

terrillja
03-19-2008, 22:48
ok so guess if I am using compresed air its ok but not with EAN to be safe. That correct? Thanks for the help Terrillja
It can be used with EAN, but you might want to be extra conservative with your PO2, like only use a max PO2 of 1.2 ata.

I'm sure this sounds like german, but it will make sense when you take the EANx course.

MicahEW
03-19-2008, 22:50
It can be used with EAN, but you might want to be extra conservative with your PO2, like only use a max PO2 of 1.2 ata.

I'm sure this sounds like german, but it will make sense when you take the EANx course.

I will keep it for later use once I understand it more. Thanks again