PDA

View Full Version : I gave the UPS guy a hernia!!!

navyhmc
03-18-2008, 14:57
:D

My LP 121 came yesterday, all 54 lbs shipped! I actually felt sorry for the UPS guy carrying it to the door. Thoug not as sorry as I will feel it when I'm carrying it up and down the road to Oronogo in April. I like it all ready, but that thing is huge!!!

I know a lot of folks are shooting for the HP tanks, but I still like the LP tanks for several reasons: 1. Less chance of a short fill. 2. If you get a hot fill, you don't lose as much PSI when it cools. 3. Less wear and tear on your regulator vs/ HP stuff.

Thanks Joe and Larry!:smiley20:

WV Diver
03-18-2008, 15:46
That's a pretty big tank, what type of diving are you using it for?

navyhmc
03-18-2008, 16:00
Right now, just learning to use a bigger tank-It's going to be used for Nitrox right now and then on a Flower Garden trip this summer. Part of the allure of the bigger tank is to get two shallow dives out of one tank. Carrying a tank up the hill at Oronogo is a pain to say the least.

Usually I use about 1200-1600 psi of an 80 for a 40 min dive starting at around 70' then gradual to 50', then there's not enough air left in the tank for another dive-this will solve that problem. I can also use it get the most out of 100'-120' dives with having an acceptable reserve.

Getting another one in the future and making doubles for Deep Tec (dammit divemedic!!!!:rant: :D) is also a very distinct probability.

texdiveguy
03-18-2008, 16:00
I have always thought that a HP130 is a much better deal all around compared to a 'huge' lp120.

Course those are just my views on the two cylinders.

Hey CONGRATS on your new tank....lots of gas, good for extended range diving and shorter multi dive days!!! :)

navyhmc
03-18-2008, 16:17
I guess it could be my age showing, but I have always liked the lower pressure cylinders over HP's. I can surmise that it stems from making the switch from 2250 psi 72's to 3000 psi (then an ungodly high pressure) 80's when the 80's were brand new to the market and it was hard to get a full 3000psi fill in them. At least that was true in Coz and BVI at the time. Even when I switched over to AL80's I still kept a steel 72 as a back up just in case. Seems you get more air in a 72 at 2250 vs. a 80 at 2250-72 cu ft vs. 60 cu ft.

I know it's a huge honker of a tank, but I think I'll like it.

I am also of a mindset that there is less wear and tear on regulators with lower pressures. Which means less chance of catastrophic failures at that most inopportune of times (at the deepest part of a dive and at NDL). But these are my theories.

texdiveguy
03-18-2008, 16:33
I guess it could be my age showing, but I have always liked the lower pressure cylinders over HP's. I can surmise that it stems from making the switch from 2250 psi 72's to 3000 psi (then an ungodly high pressure) 80's when the 80's were brand new to the market and it was hard to get a full 3000psi fill in them. At least that was true in Coz and BVI at the time. Even when I switched over to AL80's I still kept a steel 72 as a back up just in case. Seems you get more air in a 72 at 2250 vs. a 80 at 2250-72 cu ft vs. 60 cu ft.

I know it's a huge honker of a tank, but I think I'll like it.

I am also of a mindset that there is less wear and tear on regulators with lower pressures. Which means less chance of catastrophic failures at that most inopportune of times (at the deepest part of a dive and at NDL). But these are my theories.

All are fine theories with merit. :)

I to like the old steel 72's....I use one for a 'stage' bottle.

Just to give you some piece of mind....regs of today are well made and can handle pretty high pressures (3500psi no problem),,,,its when you expose them to repeated 'high' pressure loading in the 4000+ range that concern and more regular maintance is more of an issue. Us crazy tech folks at times do this nutty stuff--LOL.

You will I bet like your new cylinder.....is it a Worthington?

PS-- my only HP tank is my 130 I use when diving a single configuration....balance of my tanks are lp.

cummings66
03-18-2008, 16:56
If you double those tanks up, and if you dive them at Oronogo I may just have to show up and watch you go up and down that hill in them. I could see the single, but man, do the doubles with that one and I will try to be there. That hill's a killer.

texdiveguy
03-18-2008, 17:48
If you double those tanks up, and if you dive them at Oronogo I may just have to show up and watch you go up and down that hill in them. I could see the single, but man, do the doubles with that one and I will try to be there. That hill's a killer.

This is the point you invest in a fold-a-way dolly......I have one and its wonderful!!!

BSea
03-18-2008, 17:52
Right now, just learning to use a bigger tank-It's going to be used for Nitrox right now and then on a Flower Garden trip this summer. Part of the allure of the bigger tank is to get two shallow dives out of one tank. Carrying a tank up the hill at Oronogo is a pain to say the least.

Usually I use about 1200-1600 psi of an 80 for a 40 min dive starting at around 70' then gradual to 50', then there's not enough air left in the tank for another dive-this will solve that problem. I can also use it get the most out of 100'-120' dives with having an acceptable reserve.

Getting another one in the future and making doubles for Deep Tec (dammit divemedic!!!!:rant: :D) is also a very distinct probability.You better check with the Flower Gardens Captain. From what I remember, they don't allow 8" diameter tanks.

Splitlip
03-18-2008, 18:30
"DOH!!"

navyhmc
03-18-2008, 19:46

Utility trailer and a power winch at the top-that's the only way! :smilie39:

I did see divemedic walk up a few times with double 108's.

You better check with the Flower Gardens Captain. From what I remember, they don't allow 8" diameter tanks.

From what I have read on their site, they will allow an 8" tank, but since the benches are made for 7.25", an adequate method of securing must also be brought. But, I will double check with them before I go. Thanks.

Shellback
03-18-2008, 20:48
:D

My LP 121 came yesterday, all 54 lbs shipped! I actually felt sorry for the UPS guy carrying it to the door. Thoug not as sorry as I will feel it when I'm carrying it up and down the road to Oronogo in April. I like it all ready, but that thing is huge!!!

I know a lot of folks are shooting for the HP tanks, but I still like the LP tanks for several reasons: 1. Less chance of a short fill. 2. If you get a hot fill, you don't lose as much PSI when it cools. 3. Less wear and tear on your regulator vs/ HP stuff.

Thanks Joe and Larry!:smiley20:
Navyhmc, send that thing my way when you are done with it, I think that my hot water heater is going out !!

marchand
03-18-2008, 20:58
I have double LP120's and believe me they are HEAVY, but I still love them. I can do a 2hr dive starting at 80' and slowly working my way up to the 30' range and still have 2000psi left (started at 3500psi). I would suggest getting a handtruck or something.

One of theses would make it easy.
http://rivrdog.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/muledone.jpg