PDA

View Full Version : Computer Issues.

divingmedic
03-18-2008, 18:00
Ok hope everyone is enjoying "Spring BreaK". Here is how mine has gone. I was exposed to Bacterial Menningitis and had my computer crash. I took the computer to a "Big Box" store, won't mention which one, they said they could recover everything on my hard drive. I had almot 1900 MP3's on there. Recovered the computer and went to load every thing back they recovered and lo and behold, they only recovered 472 of the 1900 MP3's. Now these werent ones that were taken off of Napster in the early days, but all songs that I paid for. So much for them recovering everything. Then I remembered that I had most of those on my laptop that works only 25 percent of the time, I was lucky it fired up, and I was able to transfer 1400 of the 1900 songs over. Is it time for summer vacation yet?

CaptainRon
03-18-2008, 18:26
Backup, backup, backup...

plot
03-18-2008, 20:32
I've had good luck recovering 95% or more of hard drives. just gotta have the right tools, which i doubt big box stores have. then of course, 1 out of 10 i try to recover are truely toasted...

all of my stuff is backed up on a 1tb NAS, you should consider it. ;)

Clanggedin
03-18-2008, 21:09
Having a CD with a bootable version of Linux (Xubuntu) helps tons in pulling data off of "corrupted" hard drives.

I even have a copy of DSL (Damn Small Linux) on my swiss army knife thumb drive.

divingmedic
03-19-2008, 10:26
I now have a 500 gigbyte external hard drive that I am backing all my computers up with now.Just kinda cheesed me off when they told me
"Oh yeah we recovered everything"

mm2002
03-19-2008, 13:17
Besides external backups, I keep two identical hard drives in my computer, and run a Ghost clone every night before bed. That way, as long as it's not an electrical surge that fries everything, I always have a fully bootable drive to use if the primary fails. It has saved my ass a few times. For "data only" backups, yeah, an external hard drive is the way to go. About once a month, I'll switch out backup drives, and take one to our safe deposit box. The only way I could lose any more than 4 weeks worth of work is if my house and the bank both burned down at the same time. Still, the bank box is supposed to be fire proof. :smiley36:

plot
03-19-2008, 17:05
if the two harddrives are identical, you could just put them in a raid-1 array and forego the 3rd party software...

mm2002
03-19-2008, 17:59
if the two harddrives are identical, you could just put them in a raid-1 array and forego the 3rd party software...

Well, this may not be the case these days, but back when I tried that it slowed the system down to a crawl. If I ran them parallel, then neither was bootable without the other. Or something like that, it's been a few years since I was REALLY into computer technology.
Right now, I am perfectly content with the way I'm doing it.:smiley2: