PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts about scuba equipment good bad and ugly

Splitlip
03-18-2008, 19:15
I have been playing over at ScubaBoard with split fin bashers the last couple days and had some thoughts after reading an artical in one of the mags.

One of the arguments the "purists" use to support their position on Jetsfins, is that they have been around for 40+ years. Does that make them better than new technology?
40+ years ago they were also using bulky oval masks with no way to pinch your nose, 2 hose regulators that were difficult to share, purge and breath in odd positions. there were no BCD's few SPG's and no computers. (Time was BCD's screamed "kook!".)

So, I started thinking of some of the inovative things I like and some of the things I really don't care for.

Mask purge................. ........don't like
Retractors...........................don't like
low profile mask....................like
BCD's .................................like
Conventional Octo's..............don't like
Octo inflators.......................like
split fins..............................like
hinge fins............................don't like
BC knives............................like
titanium tools.......................like
computers...........................like
single hose/2 stage regs........like
aluminum tanks for singles.....don't like
dive alert............................like
tank bangers.......................don't like
Teva sandals on a dive boat..don't like
Teva sandals at the beach....don't like
Teva sandals at the mall.......don't like
Teva sandals in a restaurant..don't like
sneakers on the beach..........don't like

Oh wait. getting off the subject

Jaymeany
03-18-2008, 19:27
Back inflate...like
tilos 5/4......like
princeton tec lights....dont like
uk lights......like
reef sandals for dive boat, beach, life......love

DevilDiver
03-18-2008, 19:29
Spring Straps... Like

Shellback
03-18-2008, 19:36
Splitlip, that is the beauty of having so many manufacturers out there pumping out these products, we can pick what we like and what works best for us. Looks like the deck of a surfboard in your avatar, as a kid I thought that I would shape and glass and then polyester resin was the norm and all my blanks came from Clark Foam. Since then I know that the preferred resin is Epoxy.

Change is good sometimes.......

FishFood
03-18-2008, 19:42
I used to be a fan of the retractor untill I nearly broke a finger from hitting the wrong button. Now I surgical tube everything instead.... Less risky :D

Good list. I agree for the most part.

Splitlip
03-18-2008, 20:00
Splitlip, that is the beauty of having so many manufacturers out there pumping out these products, we can pick what we like and what works best for us. Looks like the deck of a surfboard in your avatar, as a kid I thought that I would shape and glass and then polyester resin was the norm and all my blanks came from Clark Foam. Since then I know that the preferred resin is Epoxy.

Change is good sometimes.......

Yup. When Clark closed their doors, a lot of people went UH OH. I say their time was done. SurfTech and the others were becoming more and more popular and "acceptable"
Although all my boards are shaped from home grown Clark Foam blanks. No Tuppa Ware for me. :smiley2:

Damselfish
03-18-2008, 20:09
Dry snorkels aren't on your list. :icon_smile_big:

The Jetfin thing gets old. Obviously they are a good match for lots of folks and that's fine, but they're not appropriate for everyone. But some folks seem to think they are the only worthwhile fins, or suggest them as the answer to any fin question whatever the circumstances of the person asking. Kinda like many other pieces of gear.

terrillja
03-18-2008, 20:15
OMS Slipstreams...Love
Ocean Reef Neptune Space Predator...getting to like
art to media wreck maps...like

Trey9123
03-18-2008, 20:44
Frameless Mask....................like
BCD's .................................like
Conventional Octo's..............don't like
Octo inflators.......................like
hinge fins............................like
full foot fins........................like
Keen sandals on a dive boat...like
Keen Sandals everywhere......like
Keen Sandals in winter..........like
Shorts in winter...................like
sneakers on the beach..........don't like
Girls in wet suits..................like
Wetsuits in H2O 60% and up..don't like

Splitlip
03-18-2008, 20:52
Neoprene wetsuits...like

not this one

CompuDude
03-18-2008, 21:11
Drysuit - like
bp/w - like (regardless of age)
HP tanks - like
NiMH and LiIon HID canister lights - like
high quality digital cameras in underwater housings - like
long hose primary and bungeed secondary reg - like
jetfins - like... in the right situation
split fins - like... in the right situation

UCFKnightDiver
03-18-2008, 22:28
Retractors...........................have one i like
BCD's .................................they are all right rather have a bp/w
Conventional Octo's..............own a side breather is that conventional?
Octo inflators.......................dont like
split fins..............................dont like
hinge fins............................no comment
aluminum tanks for singles.....dont care
dive alert............................stupid sub duck!!!!
tank bangers.......................dont care
Teva sandals on a dive boat..dont like
Teva sandals at the beach....dont like basicly I love flip flops for everything
Teva sandals at the mall.......dont like
Teva sandals in a restaurant..dont like
sneakers on the beach..........dont like
spring straps.......................like
long hose primary/bundgied backup.......want one

Splitlip
03-19-2008, 05:05
DSMB and surface marking tubes...like

Osprey
03-19-2008, 07:18
reef sandals for dive boat, beach, life......love

High five! :smiley20:

John Yaskowich
03-19-2008, 08:21
One of the arguments the "purists" use to support their position on Jetsfins, is that they have been around for 40+ years. Does that make them better than new technology?

"Some say 'This is old and therefore good'; others say 'This is new and therefore better'. I say to both 'Prove it!' "

NoTime58
03-19-2008, 08:22
Just gettin' in the water to dive.......LIKE !!

MSilvia
03-19-2008, 10:36
40+ years ago they were also using bulky oval masks with no way to pinch your nose, 2 hose regulators that were difficult to share, purge and breath in odd positions.
I use turtles with my drysuit because that's what fits my big feet, but they're by no means my favorite fins, and I don't want to be taken as a zealot for pointing out that there's a clear flaw in your logic.

By comparing them to outdated vintage gear, you seem to be asserting that others claim it's that JetFins were around 40+ years ago that shows how good they are, when in fact their argument is that it's the fact that people have continued to prefer them for over 40 years. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people who would say the same about bulky masks or 2 hose regs, but you site both as examples because they were in use when the JetFins were introduced.

JetFins were popular when 2 hose regs were in use, they were popular when people were diving J-valve tanks with a single hose, they were popular when "octopus" second stages were introduced, and they're still popular now. Other vintage gear has disappeared as innovative replacements made it obsolete, but JetFins are still among the best paddle fins on the market. They aren't just old, they're time tested and of proven quality.

emcbride81
03-19-2008, 11:14
empty tank of air at 130ft- dont like
full bottle of beer after dive- like
women in wetsuits- like

sorry...I had to be that guy...

Splitlip
03-19-2008, 16:57
40+ years ago they were also using bulky oval masks with no way to pinch your nose, 2 hose regulators that were difficult to share, purge and breath in odd positions.

By comparing them to outdated vintage gear, you seem to be asserting that others claim it's that JetFins were around 40+ years ago that shows how good they are, when in fact their argument is that it's the fact that people have continued to prefer them for over 40 years.

Nah. Just random thoughts. If that was the way it came off or everybody's ineference, that is ok too. Don't want to start an infamatory thread though. Never should have mentioned jetfins :) I guess.

I have never said anything bad about my jets. In fact I was using them with j-valves, before BC's, before octo's and when double hose regulators were still in production. My originals are gone, replaced by a pair of lightning bolts. (actually have a second set of lightning bolts as well).