PDA

View Full Version : Scamming Del Taco

Shellback
03-18-2008, 19:40
Just read in the local paper today about some guys that concocted a scheme to scam the local Del Taco. Well apparently their little plan went off pretty well until the local police dept. viewed their video that was posted on Youtube. Seems that they were arrested and are currently facing charges now. And they actually thought this out !!!! I believe that the paper article said it was $15 worth of food they got.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mgJzEmOioho

Osprey
03-18-2008, 20:03
I love YouTube... catching morons at the speed of internet

The unfortunate thing is the moron copycats frequenting YouTube.. hm

plot
03-18-2008, 20:27
I like how he uses the power of politeness to make the lady do whatever he wants instead of being rude... just proof that being kind can get you alot farthur.

Anyone try calling the numbers?

Gombessa
03-18-2008, 20:52
I like how he uses the power of politeness to make the lady do whatever he wants instead of being rude... just proof that being kind can get you alot farthur.

Think that'll work with the judge?

plot
03-18-2008, 20:59

No, but if you want decent customer service, being nice works alot better than being an ass.

Gombessa
03-18-2008, 21:15

No, but if you want decent customer service, being nice works alot better than being an ass.

Personally, I agree with you, but how is this "proof?" Or even evidence? There's no control showing Rosie hanging up on someone asking for the same thing but being rude. Maybe if he had gotten on the phone and threatened to sue, she would have given him extra-extra chicken and 20 hard tacos (and 2 large fries).

plot
03-18-2008, 21:19
Alright, even though it's conjeture at this point, I bet if the guy was rude, she would've checked into the situation before handing over a bunch of food first.

terrillja
03-18-2008, 21:29
Just read in the local paper today about some guys that concocted a scheme to scam the local Del Taco. Well apparently their little plan went off pretty well until the local police dept. viewed their video that was posted on Youtube. Seems that they were arrested and are currently facing charges now. And they actually thought this out !!!! I believe that the paper article said it was $15 worth of food they got.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mgJzEmOioho
http://youtube.com/watch?v=msei4ar4VBY

All for $12 of tacos and his bail is now set at 125K.

:smiley29:

cmburch
03-19-2008, 01:05
High bail could be due to priors. And is a confidence man. A HS student may only have parents pay restitution and ticket or probation.

RoyN
03-19-2008, 01:09
Oooooookkkkkkkkkkk........:smiley29:

JTMoney
03-19-2008, 06:28
Guy looks like he should have been scamming the health food store.

Osprey
03-19-2008, 07:16
Guy looks like he should have been scamming the health food store.

He'd have done good to get a small bottle of vitamin C for $12.. :smiley36:

Beaucoupfishies
03-19-2008, 09:01
I promise not to scam Del Taco as long as they open a location down here in Tampa. I had a super craving for their chilli cheese fries yesterday before we even came across this post. :smiley19:

hoobascooba
03-19-2008, 09:26
well i think it's the manager's fault for buying into the stupid scam.

i've been in a KFC one time when a guy came in and tried to do the same thing.... no receipt, and even pointed at the girl that supposedly took his order. He said he got all the way home (30 minutes away) and his order was wrong. Well, the "smart" manager looked into the register, read all the last 50 or so sales, and looky there, not one single order came close to what he described he ordered, not even an order that came close to what he "received".

Oh his MOM was "proof" or his "receipt". Yeah, the cops were called on him, especially after he threw a piece a paper at me. Numbnuts.

MicahEW
03-19-2008, 09:43
A thug with a vocabulary. LOL its amazing what you learn when on welfare.

navyhmc
03-19-2008, 10:47
I hate to say it hoobascooba, but I must disagree with you:
well i think it's the manager's fault for buying into the stupid scam.

The mananger more than likely thought that this was a plausable scenario and was doing her best to maintain good customer relations. All the blame in this incident lies with "Tinee" for preying on the manager for being a generally good person. One of the end results from thiswill be that when this does happen to some one for real, the manager will be less than helpful and friendly.

As a side bar: I can't beleive that those crooks actually posted another video to youtube plugging "Tinee's" book. That takes cajones!

Gombessa
03-19-2008, 12:55
The mananger more than likely thought that this was a plausable scenario and was doing her best to maintain good customer relations.

Yup, if you can easily recall the day's orders on all the cash registers, go ahead. But in the grand scheme of things, I think a lot of managers are trained to adhere, within reason, to the maxim that the customer is already right. Even if you think you may be scammed out of $12 worth of food, once in a while (perhaps often) the customer will be honest, maybe there was a glitch in the system, who knows. It's just not worth the bad relations/publicity/drama.

Saying it's the manager's "fault" that this happened because she was fooled by a confidence man is just blaming the victim. Perhaps she could have done more to verify the order. But don't blame the fraud on her decision to do the right thing.

plot
03-19-2008, 17:10
charged him with felony robbery for $12? that doesn't right... thought it had to be a certain amount before it was felony.

unless there's some extremely harsh laws for scamming (which I hope there is)