PDA

View Full Version : Scientific info on diving

ScubaJenn81
03-19-2008, 12:49
Hello Everyone,

I am starting to develop a training program for my fitness center staff(I am on staff as well) for training scuba divers among other water related sports. Does anyone have any websites or other outlets that are good for research. I have my fitness books, but they have a paragraph on scuba, and I wanted a little more then that.

Thank you very much in advance.

ChrisA
03-19-2008, 13:14
I am starting to develop a training program for my fitness center staff(I am on staff as well) for training scuba divers among other water related sports.

I think you will be breaking new ground.

Some ideas:

1) Offer swimming instruction. So many new divers have quite poor swimmng skills. Many of them can hardy even do the swim test" which is just to swim 300 yards with any style with no time limit. Swimming in not so much fitness as skill and is basic to any water sport. Before you offer anything else do this.

2) One can argue that you really don't need to be fit at all to dive. All one needs to do is gear up and then roll off the boat and fall into the water and then float around weightless. We can argue about this but no one will win

3) I'm not sure if good cardio abilty leads to lower SAC rates. This would be a good reaserch project.

4) swimming with those little stubby pool workout fins is agreat way to build legs up for diving, that is if you can't get into some "real" open water

cudachaser
03-19-2008, 13:54
The NOAA Dive Manual would be great source

Joe

wheelman
03-19-2008, 14:00
Deeper into Diving is a good resource. It has a lot of info on physiology. It's a little pricing but a good book.

Beaucoupfishies
03-19-2008, 14:05
Definitely more help with swimming skills. I'm one of those people that just can't float even though I've tried everything. The 300 yard swim and float test were a killer for me, but fortunately I still made it.

BoomerNJ
03-19-2008, 15:27
Another good one might be the PADI Encyclopedia of Recreational Scuba Diving... Has lots of good stuff in it too...

Bert
03-19-2008, 16:04
On DAN's website there a book called "Fit for SCUBA" I am thinking about getting that for mayself..I may try amizon or barns and noble( save on shipping)

chinacat46
03-19-2008, 18:56
Here is a book all about and diving fitness from every angle and you can download or buy a softcover.

Scuba Gear and Scuba Diving Equipment - Discount dive gear (Cheap online!) (http://www.divester.com/2005/08/17/fitness-for-divers/)

cummings66
03-19-2008, 20:33
What's with all the 300 yard stuff. I thought the swim test was 200 yards for OW and 400 yards for DM?

At any rate, anything for the cardiovascular system is what a diver needs, swimming is related to that end.

texdiveguy
03-19-2008, 20:38
Put 8000+ miles a year average on a bicycle for about 7 years and then take up scuba diving....it really helps on those SAC rates!!

cummings66
03-19-2008, 21:02
Holy cow!

texdiveguy
03-19-2008, 21:14
Holy cow!

I did road racing, never was any good at it....won a few frozen chickens and got lots of road rash--LOL!

WAHMof2
03-23-2008, 14:48
What's with all the 300 yard stuff. I thought the swim test was 200 yards for OW and 400 yards for DM?

At any rate, anything for the cardiovascular system is what a diver needs, swimming is related to that end.

You either swim freestyle 200 yds, or 300 with fins, mask, and snorkel. At least that's the choice we had at OW.

diver_daver
03-28-2008, 14:10
Swimming and any other cardio is great work, but don't forget the strength training! As a trainer myself, if my clients are not recovering from injury or illness, very inactive, etc; I don't mess around with any of the isolation exercises or machines. Go for the heavy lifts and any compound exercises. Take it slow and safe, lots of practice with little or no weight is still a good workout. Remember, in life, sport and work our muscles do not work in isolation, they work as one combined unit. After a couple of session, start blurring the line between cardio and strength sessions, remember in life, sport and work these do not get seperated.

One good place to start is Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness (http://www.crossfit.com). Take a good read through the 'What is Crossfit' and 'Getting started' sections. Also take the time to look around the forum.

PM me if you want to discuss some details.

texdiveguy
03-28-2008, 14:15
Swimming and any other cardio is great work, but don't forget the strength training! As a trainer myself, if my clients are not recovering from injury or illness, very inactive, etc; I don't mess around with any of the isolation exercises or machines. Go for the heavy lifts and any compound exercises. Take it slow and safe, lots of practice with little or no weight is still a good workout. Remember, in life, sport and work our muscles do not work in isolation, they work as one combined unit. After a couple of session, start blurring the line between cardio and strength sessions, remember in life, sport and work these do not get seperated.

One good place to start is Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness (http://www.crossfit.com). Take a good read through the 'What is Crossfit' and 'Getting started' sections. Also take the time to look around the forum.

PM me if you want to discuss some details.

Nice web site....will look through it in depth tomm..

LCF
03-28-2008, 20:18
A nice resource text is Fitness for Divers by Cameron Martz. He also has a nice website (http://www.divefitness.com/) with a number of articles downloadable about diving and fitness.

St.jimmy
03-28-2008, 22:32

You either swim freestyle 200 yds, or 300 with fins, mask, and snorkel. At least that's the choice we had at OW.
We didn't get a choice :(. We had 300 yds with no help(freestyle).

beperkins
10-16-2008, 12:58
DAN is a good resourcew to consider as well.

MSilvia
10-16-2008, 13:20
I am starting to develop a training program for my fitness center staff for training scuba divers among other water related sports.
I'm not sure it makes sense to group scuba diving with other water related sports, as scuba has very different requirements.

Swimming, water polo, triathalon, etc. all require aerobic endurance and general fitness.

Free diving, underwater rugby/hockey, etc. require the development of anaerobic fitness and breath-hold capacity.

Scuba diving, if it has a fitness requirement at all, wants only for optimal respiratory minute volume (aerobic efficiency) and the physical strength to carry the gear.

I don't understand what a "scuba and other water sports" training program would hope to achieve. I'm not trying to be negative, just to provide food for thought. I think a scuba-targeted fitness regime would be great!

Moxie
10-20-2008, 12:13
As someone who currently hits the gym with hopes to improve Scuba fitness, I think your probably on the right track with designing something like this.

My training consists of mostly combined cardio/strength exercises. Walking lunges with heavy weights, circuits etc. to keep me able to haul my gear over long stretches without wanting to die!

Good luck.

CompuDude
10-20-2008, 13:05
A nice resource text is Fitness for Divers by Cameron Martz. He also has a nice website (http://www.divefitness.com/) with a number of articles downloadable about diving and fitness.

+1 here.

Another thing to look at is Quest | Global Underwater Explorers (http://www.gue.com/?q=en/Quest/index.html) and become a member to gain access to the Quest mailing list and archives. Fitness for diving is very important for those guys, so they may some good stuff in the archives. I seem to recall reprints of at least one article in some course material I received from them.